What Marinelli wants, he gets

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Based on the NFL.com big board he's ranked 78. Dane has himl rated 91. Last year we had an excellent drat in terms of value by letting the picks fall to us. I would like the pick but in round three at the earliest.

I went and watched a film session on him and wasn't very impressed. He's got a little quickness to him, but most of the time allowed the OL to lock on to him and negate that, either holding him up or moving him out of the way. I needed to see more dominance considering that he wasn't always going up against the best.

kskboys

Reaction score
Marinelli has been the one reason why the team won’t invest in a solid 1tech. He has limited the defense in more ways than he has helped. For all the claims that he is some kind of defensive line guru coach, he has consistently been the one reason that why the defensive line has been weak against the run and had a subpar pass rush. He should have retired years ago.
Then why wouldn't we get one when Wade was here?

kskboys

Reaction score
IIRC Rod was also high on Taven Bryan in 2018. Even went to UF to run drills on Bryan and was an official 30 visit.
We had 3 DT on our 30 official vists lists that ultimately went in the first. Payne and Vea went before #19, and Bryan went at #27.

Have a feeling if it was a true, what Rod wants, he gets scenario, we have Bryan over LVE.

Maybe if McClay didn't push hard for LVE that could of been the pick, who knows.
Bryan was a higher rated prospect. Does that mean we shouldn't have gone the much heralded and screamed BPA?

John813

Reaction score
Bryan was a higher rated prospect. Does that mean we shouldn't have gone the much heralded and screamed BPA?

Where was he rated on the Cowboys draft board compared to LVE?
You have the Cowboys draft board from 2018? I can't find it, but swear it was posted somewhere.
From what I recall from the post draft news was the Cowboys were more than confident in taking LVE at 19, if he fell to them, which makes me assume they had LVE rated higher than Bryan.

morasp

Reaction score
I went and watched a film session on him and wasn't very impressed. He's got a little quickness to him, but most of the time allowed the OL to lock on to him and negate that, either holding him up or moving him out of the way. I needed to see more dominance considering that he wasn't always going up against the best.

That's interesting, after the first tier of defensive lineman I think they're all probably a mixed bag. Saunders went to a small school with poor anchor, Willis is on the ground half the time (that was the knock on Collins), Wren has measurables but not the on the field production, Mack only did it for one year and did nothing before that etc. I like a couple guys that have been there in round seven Dogbe 3T and Huggins 1T you're not out as much draft capital and they have some talent.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Yeah - but unfortunately for us, Marinelli isn't always right.

Remember how pumped he was when we drafted Joey Ivie out of Florida? Yeah..about that....
Marinelli may be wrong sometimes but he's right more than I am, the rest of us included.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And unfortunately, what qualities he values are holding back the defense.

He seems intent on taking lower level talent with motors and "coaching them up". Might be nice for his job security when it works, but it is a bad overall strategy for adding talent for the future.

Eventually (hopefully) he will go away and we will be left with a bunch of players that are overachievers, not achievers.

cern

Reaction score
Kris Richard should officially be named the dc. if he keeps rod as the d-line coach, so be it. but he should dictate to rod how he wants the d-line to play. I don't care much for Marinelli. don't like his "position flex" ideas. they always held back tyrone Crawford. they severely held back Byron jones until Richard put him where he belonged. rod has a propensity for pet cats. his nicknames are cute. but our d-line has stunk, especially on third downs when they can't rush the qb and we always give up on third and long. of course, rod and garrett are jerry's last true links to the cowboys. everything else is Stephen's and mcclay's (the good things)

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Remember how pumped he was when we drafted Joey Ivie out of Florida? Yeah..about that....

Geez. I highly doubt that Marinelli would have been "pumped" to get Joey Ivie in rounds 1-6. He was happy to get him in the 7th round. Let's not overstate Marinelli's excitement over Joey Ivie.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Hill is not Ivie, I think Rod was more happy to be going home than the drafting of that stiff when he gave the legendary fist pump for a seventh rounder.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ANNNND your what, upset with the LVE pick? Good grief.

To be fair, I did not get that from the earlier post. Just came across to me as if he was trying to make the point that if Marinelli really did get everything he wanted, we might have drafted Bryan over LVE. Nowhere did I see the poster say that he actually would have rather taken Bryan over LVE.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So why be all pumped up like you just won the Lombardi over a 7th round pick? I think the game has passed Marinelli by.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Maybe he was the son of one of Marinelli former coaches who knows. He was a 7th round pick.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trysten Hill DT UCF is a player I liked at the Combine and undoubtedly DC Marinelli likes. His measurable physical abilities are comparable to elite DT in the draft; 6-3-308, 5.0 40yd time, 35 vertical jump, 4.38 short shuttle with a 1.73 10yd split. However, he was used in rotation at UCF. That fits the Cowboys mold. He also has been winning going undefeated in 2017-18 at UCF (lost to LSU in bowl game this year 32-40).

I have liked Hill because they say he was in the new UCF coaches dog house in 2018. However, he played quick, fast, and hard. So whatever happened he stood up to it. Every draft report has 2 things Marinelli loves...burst and hustle. Burst and hustle are consistent for Hill in every draft evaluation. Its the 2 things you can not coach a DL to do. Either they have it or they don't.

When Marinelli goes to a pro day, personally works out a player, and gets a player in Dallas for the 30 visits, you can bet he is high on their draft board. He would be a perfect fit a no.58 as he has a 3rd round grade and the 58th pick is a low 2nd round choice so he would not be a reach. A lot of teams are interested so his 3rd round grade is a false ranking to throw teams off. He could fall to 3-5 rounds only because he was never a full time starter. But he would then become a unreal steal in rounds 3-5.

I hope what Marinelli wants (see Collins, Lawrence, and Gregory), Marinelli gets.

Who is it that is grading him as a 3rd rounder to throw teams off?

morat1959

Reaction score
Just another example of what’s wrong with our organization. The old man is over the hill and never should have been hired.

morat1959

Reaction score
Marinelli has been the one reason why the team won’t invest in a solid 1tech. He has limited the defense in more ways than he has helped. For all the claims that he is some kind of defensive line guru coach, he has consistently been the one reason that why the defensive line has been weak against the run and had a subpar pass rush. He should have retired years ago.
Nail on the head!

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Trysten Hill DT UCF is a player I liked at the Combine and undoubtedly DC Marinelli likes. His measurable physical abilities are comparable to elite DT in the draft; 6-3-308, 5.0 40yd time, 35 vertical jump, 4.38 short shuttle with a 1.73 10yd split. However, he was used in rotation at UCF. That fits the Cowboys mold. He also has been winning going undefeated in 2017-18 at UCF (lost to LSU in bowl game this year 32-40).

I have liked Hill because they say he was in the new UCF coaches dog house in 2018. However, he played quick, fast, and hard. So whatever happened he stood up to it. Every draft report has 2 things Marinelli loves...burst and hustle. Burst and hustle are consistent for Hill in every draft evaluation. Its the 2 things you can not coach a DL to do. Either they have it or they don't.

When Marinelli goes to a pro day, personally works out a player, and gets a player in Dallas for the 30 visits, you can bet he is high on their draft board. He would be a perfect fit a no.58 as he has a 3rd round grade and the 58th pick is a low 2nd round choice so he would not be a reach. A lot of teams are interested so his 3rd round grade is a false ranking to throw teams off. He could fall to 3-5 rounds only because he was never a full time starter. But he would then become a unreal steal in rounds 3-5.

I hope what Marinelli wants (see Collins, Lawrence, and Gregory), Marinelli gets.

Hey Studth...get yourself ready Studth...

Verdict

Reaction score
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Maybe he was the son of one of Marinelli former coaches who knows. He was a 7th round pick.

He acted like a high school cheerleader over the pick. I think it makes him look like a goofball. You don’t. It’s as simple as that.