What position is most likely to be BPA at 58?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not advocating taking a TE
But I think the quality of the position will be better than many others
I think Dline is gonna get picked early and often and really deplete the talent by 58
A deep draft at any position can get pretty shallow by 58 but if there is a run, then the other positions slip down and that's the reason for this thread. What if a talent well above 58 fell to that spot but not high on the needs board?

The Cowboys, by not having a 1st, puts additional pressure on the 2nd being a starter or major contributor. This would be the wrong year to make a future pick like Smith or Gregory with that 2nd but I would not put that past them. This team still has the two in charge that announced the team set and pulled that ST draft in 2009.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say anything about reaching.........I said BPA at a position of need which means exactly that.
Usually, BPA and drafting at a position of need are not the same thing. BPA disregards position.

Every team takes the BPA at position of need, a few actually take the BPA on their board, if they did not design their board out of needs.

BPA at position of need actually erases BPA.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Usually, BPA and drafting at a position of need are not the same thing. BPA disregards position.

True but at 58 you have guys carrying about the same grade on your board one is a LB one is a center and one is a DT. We know we are good at LB and Center why would you not take the player of need if they are graded about the same? That is why I tend to think BPA that fills a need. Granted BPA part is critical but I think normally you will see different players with about the same grades given by the team

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but at 58 you have guys carrying about the same grade on your board one is a LB one is a center and one is a DT. We know we are good at LB and Center why would you not take the player of need if they are graded about the same? That is why I tend to think BPA that fills a need. Granted BPA part is critical but I think normally you will see different players with about the same grades given by the team
I could see that but we could also see a higher grade player drop to a position that is not a designated need by most of us, what do you do.

Most are saying BPA at a position of need but those are two diametrically opposed ideas. BPA would be taking the highest ranked player still available on the BPA board that ignores need. Taking a DT isn't necessarily taking the BPA but the BDTA.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I could see that but we could also see a higher grade player drop to a position that is not a designated need by most of us, what do you do.

Most are saying BPA at a position of need but those are two diametrically opposed ideas. BPA would be taking the highest ranked player still available on the BPA board that ignores need. Taking a DT isn't necessarily taking the BPA but the BDTA.

I get that. Heck if at 2 a WR who Dallas has graded out higher and really like then take him but I think more times than not especially in picks outside of the 1st rd the grades at 58 will be 3 or 4 players all with about the same grade and I would kind of think out of those 3 or 4 players they likely will be players who also fill a need. I do think Taco was more of a need pick than a BPA given what was happening once again with Gregory I think Cowboys made a gamble that thus far has not looked great.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that. Heck if at 2 a WR who Dallas has graded out higher and really like then take him but I think more times than not especially in picks outside of the 1st rd the grades at 58 will be 3 or 4 players all with about the same grade and I would kind of think out of those 3 or 4 players they likely will be players who also fill a need. I do think Taco was more of a need pick than a BPA given what was happening once again with Gregory I think Cowboys made a gamble that thus far has not looked great.
And if they're serious about Quinn and think they can keep Lawrence, Charleton was a bust.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
You're almost there cc......BPA and BPA at a position of need couldn't be more polar opposites................say at 58 there's a LB that some graded high that fell to them at 58 vs a safety that that was the top 1 or 2 on our board also availably........what sense would it make to draft the LB to rarely see the field and ride the bench when the safety who is of more need can be more of an impact by being worked into a rotation or even start?

Sydla

Reaction score
Gut feeling is DL will likely be the best player on the board.

Maybe the Ferguson kid who bombed his pro day. He was thought to be a first round guy but his workouts stunk and could plummet down the board.

My fear is they do something silly like take a WR or RB at 58.

conner01

Reaction score
A deep draft at any position can get pretty shallow by 58 but if there is a run, then the other positions slip down and that's the reason for this thread. What if a talent well above 58 fell to that spot but not high on the needs board?

The Cowboys, by not having a 1st, puts additional pressure on the 2nd being a starter or major contributor. This would be the wrong year to make a future pick like Smith or Gregory with that 2nd but I would not put that past them. This team still has the two in charge that announced the team set and pulled that ST draft in 2009.
As for someone falling it would depend on position
Most any spot you could justify except maybe C/G,
If a OT fell that helps next year when Collins leave. A CB means you don’t have to worry about jones walking. LB is one I might pass on
But most anything else I take him, even a WB though this draft isn’t likely to have a QB fall since it’s a weak class
But I’d take just about any position if he’s the BPA except G/C or maybe LB
Obviously no kicker or punter would be BPA anyway

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're almost there cc......BPA and BPA at a position of need couldn't be more polar opposites................say at 58 there's a LB that some graded high that fell to them at 58 vs a safety that that was the top 1 or 2 on our board also availably........what sense would it make to draft the LB to rarely see the field and ride the bench when the safety who is of more need can be more of an impact by being worked into a rotation or even start?
ron, we are saying the same thing and BPA at position is useless, taking a player based on need is taking the best perceived player at that position.

And while I agree with your scenario, there are some that do not, they will take the BPA for value. Of course, that PBA is subjective from team to team. I think that BPA was developed for teams with no glaring weaknesses and we will see teams ignore BPA to take a much needed QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As for someone falling it would depend on position
Most any spot you could justify except maybe C/G,
If a OT fell that helps next year when Collins leave. A CB means you don’t have to worry about jones walking. LB is one I might pass on
But most anything else I take him, even a WB though this draft isn’t likely to have a QB fall since it’s a weak class
But I’d take just about any position if he’s the BPA except G/C or maybe LB
Obviously no kicker or punter would be BPA anyway
I am not sure LB would be excluded, Lee has never played a full season and is unlikely to this season. They took LVE with him there, why not another? Especially one that is high on coverage?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We really need to trade up in the second round to get a baller
I could see them trying to get into the 1st if one falls that they've been targeting.

How would we feel if they had traded up to get LVE? They need a player to play, not ride the pine, and if they can get one at 58, great, but I am also fine with trading up, just not down unless it's a couple of spots.

And as far as LB is concerned, LVE got to contribute because Lee could not, again. I have no problem with that position. In fact, I don't have a problem with any D position pick.

Fact is, BPA would damn near work in this draft because for a playoff team, I see quite a few holes.

conner01

Reaction score
Gut feeling is DL will likely be the best player on the board.

Maybe the Ferguson kid who bombed his pro day. He was thought to be a first round guy but his workouts stunk and could plummet down the board.

My fear is they do something silly like take a WR or RB at 58.
I am not sure LB would be excluded, Lee has never played a full season and is unlikely to this season. They took LVE with him there, why not another? Especially one that is high on coverage?
the problem with LB is we are set in the middle and with LVE, we need a 3rd but they play so little and we have two young guys who may develope in that role. I’m not opposed to a LB but he’d need to be a stud for me to spend my first pick in the draft for

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Zach Allen:

He'd be too good to pass up for us. Zach Allen would give us possibly the deadliest defencive line in the league along with DLaw. Get a proper 1 tech, and no offence will want to face our defence. So, yes, my 58 pick would be Allen if available. If he's even close to 58 and it looks like he's in jeopardy of being drafted, I'd be making a move to trade up to get him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the problem with LB is we are set in the middle and with LVE, we need a 3rd but they play so little and we have two young guys who may develope in that role. I’m not opposed to a LB but he’d need to be a stud for me to spend my first pick in the draft for
I agree and think it is unlikely that a higher than the 50's LB falls to that spot but there are a couple of speed LB's high on coverage skills that might possible be there that presents a different situation for Marinelli and Richard.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You really cant make a call on your top needs until after FA is done. BPA is team specific.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm hoping for Zach Allen:

He'd be too good to pass up for us. Zach Allen would give us possibly the deadliest defencive line in the league along with DLaw. Get a proper 1 tech, and no offence will want to face our defence. So, yes, my 58 pick would be Allen if available. If he's even close to 58 and it looks like he's in jeopardy of being drafted, I'd be making a move to trade up to get him.

You probably have a better chance at the 550 million lottery