What position is most likely to be BPA at 58?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Looking at the strengths of this draft class it's likely TE, WR, DT, or Edge.

Weak safety class

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You probably have a better chance at the 550 million lottery

Yeah, I'm aware that he's likely out of our draft range, but, if he's close to 58, we need to get him. If not, then I like the idea of Oshane Ximines in round 3 (especially if we get Quinn as a trade for round 5) and get Juan Thornhill (Safety Maryland), D'Andre Walker (OLB Georgia), or possibly Gerald Willis III Miami. I know Walker seems a bit out there in terms of suggestions as we've got Smith, LVE, and, for a short bit, Lee. However, Walker would give us a devastating LB group, followed by Ximines in round 3 and the safety I keep on about in round 4. As for Willis, he's someone that may be a bit out of range, but he'd give us a superb DT to go with our dline that we want. Personally, if no Allen, then I'd actually really like us to get Walker, Ximines, and Tell in that order.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware that he's likely out of our draft range, but, if he's close to 58, we need to get him. If not, then I like the idea of Oshane Ximines in round 3 (especially if we get Quinn as a trade for round 5) and get Juan Thornhill (Safety Maryland), D'Andre Walker (OLB Georgia), or possibly Gerald Willis III Miami. I know Walker seems a bit out there in terms of suggestions as we've got Smith, LVE, and, for a short bit, Lee. However, Walker would give us a devastating LB group, followed by Ximines in round 3 and the safety I keep on about in round 4. As for Willis, he's someone that may be a bit out of range, but he'd give us a superb DT to go with our dline that we want. Personally, if no Allen, then I'd actually really like us to get Walker, Ximines, and Tell in that order.

This is D'Andre Walker. What a MONSTER he'd be with us!! Combining him with LVE and Jaylon would give us possibly the deadliest LB group in the league. Oh, I would enjoy that.

conner01

Reaction score
With 57 picks in front of you it’s hard to know who will be there but if I had to guess right now I’d say Thornhill will be our first cowboy

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
With 57 picks in front of you it’s hard to know who will be there but if I had to guess right now I’d say Thornhill will be our first cowboy

Of the 4 that I mentioned? Probably right. If we go that route, then I expect a DE in round 3 because there will still be good ones lingering there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We've listed our needs which include DE, DT, OL and S as the highest need but what if the BPA is LB or RB?

Is there not a need for a 3rd LB since Wilson is gone and what about a hybrid RB to add to the weapons on offense? What about adding speed to the RB's?

The answer lies in what it is easier to build and to me, that is offense. The best D in the league, stat wise, was CHI and they couldn't advance and the two teams in the NFCCG hardly had great D's.

What if the BPA is a RB? Take him or go for need? What if he's a good enough back to replace Elliott in 2020 and that's one less position to be concerned about with the amount he will want?

And what if Michigan LB, Devin Bush, is there at 58? Or AL's Mack Wilson?

It is unlikely that either of those LB's is there but every year a position slips and changes the BPA position.

So, are you a BPA or needs picker?
I’ve always considered the BPA is more about the best available one of our needs. Not the best available on the board.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we pick a linebacker at 58 when we have Smith, LVE and Lee, I may jump off a cliff.

I believe in relative BPA. In other words, there are generally several players clustered together, giving you the opportunity to choose the one who fits the greatest need. Now, sometimes a player slips through who is just head and shoulder above the rest, but generally it's more like our second last year where everyone through Philly stole our tight end while we just turned around and took OL Connor Williams.
Right.

BPA was a term used back in the day when teams had 12-17 rounds before Unlimited FA and Salary Cap. BPA doesn’t mean what it used to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A deep draft at any position can get pretty shallow by 58 but if there is a run, then the other positions slip down and that's the reason for this thread. What if a talent well above 58 fell to that spot but not high on the needs board?

The Cowboys, by not having a 1st, puts additional pressure on the 2nd being a starter or major contributor. This would be the wrong year to make a future pick like Smith or Gregory with that 2nd but I would not put that past them. This team still has the two in charge that announced the team set and pulled that ST draft in 2009.
If that player dropped but not a position of need then he wouldn’t be starter. Doesn’t make sense ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not sure LB would be excluded, Lee has never played a full season and is unlikely to this season. They took LVE with him there, why not another? Especially one that is high on coverage?
He’d have to be an immediate starter to make sense. That means he’s need to be greater that LVE, Jaylon and Lee right out of the gate. Not very likely at 58th pick.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Usually, BPA and drafting at a position of need are not the same thing. BPA disregards position.

Every team takes the BPA at position of need, a few actually take the BPA on their board, if they did not design their board out of needs.

BPA at position of need actually erases BPA.
Correct. That’s what BPA is this era.

1LoyalCowboyFan

Reaction score
Here are the rankings from #53 to #63 (five on either side of #58) from the Great Blue North site:

David Edwards OT 6-6, 308 5.28 Wisconsin JR
Oshane Ximines OLB 6-4, 253 4.78 Old Dominion SR
Riley Ridley WR 6-2, 200 4.50 Georgia JR
Gerald Willis DT 6-2, 302 4.95 Miami SR
Damien Harris RB 5-10, 215 4.57 Alabama SR
Parris Campbell WR 6-0, 205 4.31 Ohio State SR
Connor McGovern C/G 6-6, 308 5.20 Penn State JR
D’Andre Walker DE 6-3, 251 4.65 Georgia SR
Isaiah Johnson CB 6-2, 208 4.40 Houston SR
Irv Smith TE 6-3, 242 4.63 Alabama JR
Juan Thornhill FS 6-0, 206 4.42 Virginia SR

Dunno how up-to-date (or accurate) these rankings are but there you go.

Watch the pick me D'Andre Walker. He's been moving up.

Flamma

Reaction score
We've listed our needs which include DE, DT, OL and S as the highest need but what if the BPA is LB or RB?

Is there not a need for a 3rd LB since Wilson is gone and what about a hybrid RB to add to the weapons on offense? What about adding speed to the RB's?

The answer lies in what it is easier to build and to me, that is offense. The best D in the league, stat wise, was CHI and they couldn't advance and the two teams in the NFCCG hardly had great D's.

What if the BPA is a RB? Take him or go for need? What if he's a good enough back to replace Elliott in 2020 and that's one less position to be concerned about with the amount he will want?

And what if Michigan LB, Devin Bush, is there at 58? Or AL's Mack Wilson?

It is unlikely that either of those LB's is there but every year a position slips and changes the BPA position.

So, are you a BPA or needs picker?

Devin Bush at 58? Extremely unlikely. That would be like WR D.K. Metcalf getting to 58. Take either one. Mack Wilson might be there. I believe he's projected to go mid to late 2nd round. But under no circumstances do I believe Dallas should draft a RB at #58. Not even if the best one remains on the board. But I see your point. Just not with the RB position.