What recent data shows about Cowboys popularity

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Not true. Being a GM today is about player evaluation, personnel, scheme fits. It's all about the players acquired and how they fit together.

Jerry just takes players willynilly and way too often takes guys who are sliding in the draft, primarily due to injuries, drugs, or attitude issues. And then, before this year, he has steadfastly refused to address S and DT, showing beyond any doubt that he does not understand the positions. Every S we take is some hard hitting box S w/ stiff hips. And he's done that for years upon years.

I agree, we do not have the advantages in player evaluation we had back in the day, but now we are in the negative in that regard. And it's all due to having a GM who does not understand the intricacies of player evaluation at the NFL level.

sorry.... can not disagree more. So you think the Bucs GM did a great job of picking the right players that fit together to win last years SB? PULEASE!.... they got Tom Brady.

Belichek didnt evaluate players so well and get them to fit together.... he had Tom Brady. Its amazing how well players seem to fit together and fill teams needs when that HOF QB takes you to the SB ring. All those 3rd and 4th rd draft picks look a whole lot better when Aaron Rodgers is behind center.

I guess the Colts GM really screwed up that season when Peyton didnt play and the Colts won 3 whole games.....then they got Luck and he figured out how to draft winners again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
nope.... that list is fine..........ready?
Green Bay went from one Hall of Fame QB to another, much like the Niners of the 80s.... only difference is that the Niners won 4 SBs in a relatively short timeeriod. Green Bay has won 1 SB with one of the top 5 QBs to ever play the game. Sorry, I do not equate that as a successful run. JMO, but if you are a top 5 QB, you should have 2 or more titles.

New Orleans..... see GB above. The Saints were 3-13 in 2005 and Brees arrived in 2006 and pow.... let the good times begin. Even with Brees, the Saints failed to have a winning record at the end of the season in 6 of Brees 14 Saints seasons, including THREE STRAIGHT 7-9 seasons. They have also been in CAP hell for what seems like forever. Again, 1 SB win. IN the 13 seasons before Brees arrived in New Orleans, they had 2, yes that is TWO winning season.

IN the 4 seasons before Russel Wilson's arrival in Seattle, they won a total of 23 games. Wilson was drafted in the 3rd rd and the Seahawks had no intention of him being a pro bowl QB. Much like the Cowboys, they lucked into a starting franchise QB. When Wilson took over, the Seahawks had an all time great defense and they were able to have a starting QB making peanuts. IN a few short years the defense was torn apart due to salary issues, and as soon as that happened, those 2 great SB years quickly became a distant memory. One could argue the Seahawks did things WRONG and screwed up a team that should have competed for a title for 6 seasons.... not 2. Again, all the seahawks great decisions coincided with the arrival of Russel Wilson.

Patriots..... do I really need to discuss them? I said for years as soon as Brady was gone, Belichek was gonna be exposed for what he is.... a very good coach, just like the other multiple very good NFL coaches in the league. And holy smokes did it happen fast. Brady left, and the Pats entered joke stage. They stay in jokester status this year by bringing back Cam Newton.... are you kidding me? If the Cowboys had signed Cam Newton to even be Dak's back up the Jones' boys would be raked over the coals. IM happy the pats brought "Superman," back, as it will continue to bolster my argument that Belichek became "Belichek," because of Brady. I dont care how great a d coordinator he was in a prior lifetime.... there are lots of those guys out there. I can not say anything about the Pats except for people to stop using that outlier as the example they use to try and point out Cowboy flaws. See me in 5 years and lets discuss the Pats some more....lol

The Steelers.... ill give you them... BUT, again, their Success and great front office moves mostly revolve around them hitting the jackpot with Big Ben. I dont have much to say negatively about the Steelers as THEY, not the Pats are the team I would say always seems to do things the right way. I like the Steelers, a lot. So I will concede them to you in this discussion.
You’re equating SB wins with success. Which a consistent contender during this era IMO is more of a definition.

Much like in our greatest era with 20 consecutive winning seasons, 12 conference championship appearances and 5 Super Bowls. We only won 2. Several other teams won as many or more than we did in that era but few were as consistent contenders over that time span.

We can all frame the argument to suit our agenda I suppose but I’m not sure where you are framing yours. There obviously IMO are several franchises who have been more serious consistent contenders this era having more success than the Cowboys.

And they should be the model for success. Much like we were the model for success back then. Unless you’re suggesting more franchises should follow Jethro’s model this era? The fact some franchises haven’t had anymore success doing it the right way than Jethro doesn’t provide me any comfort.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
sorry.... can not disagree more. So you think the Bucs GM did a great job of picking the right players that fit together to win last years SB? PULEASE!.... they got Tom Brady.

Belichek didnt evaluate players so well and get them to fit together.... he had Tom Brady. Its amazing how well players seem to fit together and fill teams needs when that HOF QB takes you to the SB ring. All those 3rd and 4th rd draft picks look a whole lot better when Aaron Rodgers is behind center.

I guess the Colts GM really screwed up that season when Peyton didnt play and the Colts won 3 whole games.....then they got Luck and he figured out how to draft winners again.
No doubt Brady was a vital addition. But do you think they have the same level of success without adding Gronk, Fournette and Brown on offense with an offense that was potent coming in not to mention a top 10 defense?

Let me ask you this. Do you think Brady last year wins the SB with any team?

I’m a huge Brady fan and he definitely elevates that team but as we saw in NE, he needed some support or they’d of won more Super Bowls.

Just like in our glory years going to 12 championship games with a team talented enough for more success , we ran up against better teams and had some upsets. It happens.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill be honest, I despise trying to use anything about the NFL back in the 80s and before when discussing it today. Back then, teams had ALL OF THE POWER.... every single bit of it. They owned the players and players would not dare speak out against the coach or team. Today, the players have the power, the players (the really good ones) are in charge. Look at the Seahawks.... Russel said hey, Im not gonna negotiate this at the end of the season. Here is what I want for my contract. You pay it or you dont. Pow, Seahawks were like.. yes sir, Mr. Wilson, anything you say sir!

I agree that the Cowboys did have an advantage at GM back then... for whatever reason. But today.... nobody does. Scouting combines, pro days, huge scouting staffs, Video, and LOTS OF IT for every NCAA player and team to watch. There is just nothing that one team does over another that gives them some great advantage. Salary cap "Gurus," are no longer Gurus... every team has a guy that knows how to manipulate the salary cap every season and take you from way over to under the cap with a few moves.
I disagree that other teams do not have an advantage if they have a GM with a plan and the ability to evaluate and value talent. Cap management isn't just about making the money work, it is establishing the template and adhering to that in player valuation just like NE does. No player is greater than the system, including the GOAT QB. And the real payoff for that is no one player can buck the system like Lawrence, Elliott, Cooper and Prescott have done. Do you think they would have put up with Elliott's play for a new deal? Belichick let a DE walk just as good as Lawrence. There are several teams with a better GM system than the Cowboys.

Do you see a plan with the Joneses because I do not. It's let's try and fix what's broken instead of getting ahead of the break.

31 teams in the NFL feel the road to riches is through winning and building their brand. 1 team knows entertainment and relevancy are the keys and has increased in value every year while achieving nothing. No team in the history of professional sports has ever been rewarded for mediocrity like the Dallas Cowboys and that is the reason the hard steps have never been taken that were necessary.

csirl

Reaction score
I look at what happened to baseball and I think the same thing can happen to the NFL. Baseball was once the most popular sport by far in the US. But it was overtaken by the NFL. Baseball lost its audience. For me it became too boring. The games got too long. The time between pitches increased to an excruciating delay in the game. Baseball still draws millions of fans but it is clearly not as popular as it used to be.

In fact almost every major sport has had a peak in popularity followed by a steep decline. Bowling, tennis, basketball, hockey, and soon golf, once Tiger Woods retires, have all seen significant declines in popularity after record popularity. I don't think the NFL is immune to this same phenomenon. Some of these sports have been completely dropped by the major networks.

The NFL is attempting to build its markets by promoting American football overseas. Maybe it works. Professional baseball is immensely popular in Asia and in parts of Latin America. Major League Baseball has attracted some international attention by signing foreign players to MLB contracts. The NFL is toying with that too but there are few foreign countries where American football is played so integrating foreign players into the league is less of a possibility. Instead, the NFL is bringing the American players to other countries hoping the glimpse of American football will create some interest there. I don't see how that benefits US TV networks, but maybe they know more about that than I do.

In any case, I do not believe the Networks shelling out the money they have is a foretelling of the future of the NFL.

I live in Europe. MLB is miles behind the NFL in every way. It has very few followers and isnt on TV a lot. Baseball is barely played at all in Europe.

Basketball/NBA peeked in Europe in the 1980s/90s. Its been in decline since then. My city used to have a number of semi-pro basketball teams - who used to import some full time pros from the US. Not anymore. Completely amateur now.

NFL has grown exponentially over that time. Most European countries have several live NFL games each week - coverage almost as extensive as in the US. Player numbers in Europe have grown. There are pro/semipro teams in Europe attracting crowds of up to 20k. Germany, where the sport is strongest, has 50,000 active players - equivalent to 2.5 times the average US State.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Where did I say that the Mavs were more popular than the Cowboys in Dallas? Fix your reading comprehension next time you address me.
You said
They are living off olds. Most young people view them as a joke. In Dallas, they take a back seat to Luka and the Mavs with the youth.

And, of course, you left out the relevant part of my comment, which directly addressed your ridiculous comment
Also, your take on the demographics is wrong

They are the most popular team in the country for fans ages 12+ and 2nd in the 18-24 demo. That hardly qualifies as a “joke”.

You should be more clear in your comments and replies before you attempt to make an argument.

Kwyn

Reaction score
No one said that. Bob said his kids like the Mavs and think the Cowboys are a joke.

Not hard to understand how a young person could see things that way. They're going by what they've seen, rather than stuff that happened decades ago.
I wasn’t quoting or responding to Bob. I was replying to Zordon

Of tons of kids like Luka. And clearly Bob’s kids love Luka. He’s the best athlete in town.

That doesn’t mean only ancient oldsters are the only Cowboy fans left which is what several other posts in this thread claim.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You’re equating SB wins with success. Which a consistent contender during this era IMO is more of a definition.

Much like in our greatest era with 20 consecutive winning seasons, 12 conference championship appearances and 5 Super Bowls. We only won 2. Several other teams won as many or more than we did in that era but few were as consistent contenders over that time span.

We can all frame the argument to suit our agenda I suppose but I’m not sure where you are framing yours. There obviously IMO are several franchises who have been more serious consistent contenders this era having more success than the Cowboys.

And they should be the model for success. Much like we were the model for success back then. Unless you’re suggesting more franchises should follow Jethro’s model this era? The fact some franchises haven’t had anymore success doing it the right way than Jethro doesn’t provide me any comfort.

Ok, well you threw out the Saints as a mode to follow.... well after their ONE sb win, they had several very crappy seasons....so there is that.

kskboys

Reaction score

Of course. Vea, Evans, White, Winfield, Davis, Suh, Barrett, David, and others were great acquisitions. Brady was quite simply the final piece. Make no mistake, that was a D team, and was complemented by Brady's pickapart short game when they changed the O to suit him. Maybe it was an accident, but bad teams have access to good/great players early in the draft that good teams do not. Which brings up another point of being a bad GM. A GM needs to understand when to trade away assets and start over. Jerry does not comprehend/accept this, which is why we've been generally a .500 team for 25 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
I live in Europe. MLB is miles behind the NFL in every way. It has very few followers and isnt on TV a lot. Baseball is barely played at all in Europe.

Basketball/NBA peeked in Europe in the 1980s/90s. Its been in decline since then. My city used to have a number of semi-pro basketball teams - who used to import some full time pros from the US. Not anymore. Completely amateur now.

NFL has grown exponentially over that time. Most European countries have several live NFL games each week - coverage almost as extensive as in the US. Player numbers in Europe have grown. There are pro/semipro teams in Europe attracting crowds of up to 20k. Germany, where the sport is strongest, has 50,000 active players - equivalent to 2.5 times the average US State.
Of course. Football = Roman gladiators.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I totally disagree agree about your Belechick assessment. The pats won because of a lot more than Brady. That pats D almost single handedly won a couple of SBs. Remember their manhandling of the Rams? How about their dismantling of the greatest show on turf? That was a great D Bill B put together.

And Brady IS great. But again if having a great QB is everything, why have great QBs like Rodgers and Brees only won 1 SB? Was Brees not good enough to get them to more SBs? Payton Manning was great. He only won 2 SBs. Why hasn’t Russell Wilson won more SBs?

Tony Romo was not as good as the previous guys I mentioned, but he certainly was a very good QB. Was he not good enough to even win a divisional playoff game? Not even one?

My point is, having the goat as in Brady in and of itself isn’t enough. That Tampa D was great last year. In fact it was the defense that overcame Brady’s terrible game in GB in the NFC championship game where he threw 3 picks. If that terrible GB corner doesn’t go to sleep before half with that ridiculous coverage lapse, Brady doesn’t even make the SB. He even said post game his defense bailed him out.

Again, not saying Brady isn’t great- he is the goat. But if all you have to have is a great QB, why aren’t more really good QBs winning SBs?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First he tries to question our talent but after this draft class even he can't do that. We're practically the Globetrotters now. We should start doing tricks during games.

So then he says no, no, no...it's talent development that's important. Remember that thread? Insinuating that while he now has to admit our roster is great it's our coaches that are not.

But now after glowing reports from the OTAs of players developing he loses his cool and says well, nobody likes us anymore.

All this from a guy who signed up here with a username suggesting the great Bob Hayes was nothing but a pot smoker.

AngryInfantileBeaver-max-1mb.gif

.........................................................Me............................................. Rockport

Bob, if i catch you around the Five Points you will be dispatched by my own hand.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First he tries to question our talent but after this draft class even he can't do that. We're practically the Globetrotters now. We should start doing tricks during games.

So then he says no, no, no...it's talent development that's important. Remember that thread? Insinuating that while he now has to admit our roster is great it's our coaches that are not.

But now after glowing reports from the OTAs of players developing he loses his cool and says well, nobody likes us anymore.

All this from a guy who signed up here with a username suggesting the great Bob Hayes was nothing but a pot smoker.

AngryInfantileBeaver-max-1mb.gif

.........................................................Me............................................. Rockport

Bob, if i catch you around the Five Points you will be dispatched by my own hand.
I’ve re-thought this thing Risen…after looking at the OTA film, I’m already buying SB tickets. If we can’t trust what the naked eye sees in June while these guys are going through drills, what can we trust?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The drop is fair weather fans being a part of that. There are many fans that will follow winning teams. That is also probably true of fans that followed the Cowboys as well. But I think most Cowboys fans stick with the Cowboys. Just as most Steelers and Packers fans.
Those Patriots fans now will now become KC fans, and how many bailed and became TB fans, at least as long as Tom Brady is there. Outside of NE area, how many Patriots fans has anyone really every came across. But yet everywhere you go, you still run into Cowboys fans.

But 25 years it is no surprise they lost fans. Kids as well, they will support winning teams. Unless living in the area of any team they are more apt to become a fan of that team.
I also believe as kids grow up and these 18 to 34 year old fans, are more into fantasy football, so they could care less of winning or losing as long as their fantasy teams gets points. So they really have less loyalty to any team, and just go with who is winning.

Dimwitted but predictable response.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Of course. Vea, Evans, White, Winfield, Davis, Suh, Barrett, David, and others were great acquisitions. Brady was quite simply the final piece. Make no mistake, that was a D team, and was complemented by Brady's pickapart short game when they changed the O to suit him. Maybe it was an accident, but bad teams have access to good/great players early in the draft that good teams do not. Which brings up another point of being a bad GM. A GM needs to understand when to trade away assets and start over. Jerry does not comprehend/accept this, which is why we've been generally a .500 team for 25 years.
sorry,... thats a joke. If the bucs still had Jameis, they dont make the playoffs and all of those "Great," moves you speak of for bucs management would have been total ****

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I totally disagree agree about your Belechick assessment. The pats won because of a lot more than Brady. That pats D almost single handedly won a couple of SBs. Remember their manhandling of the Rams? How about their dismantling of the greatest show on turf? That was a great D Bill B put together.

And Brady IS great. But again if having a great QB is everything, why have great QBs like Rodgers and Brees only won 1 SB? Was Brees not good enough to get them to more SBs? Payton Manning was great. He only won 2 SBs. Why hasn’t Russell Wilson won more SBs?

Tony Romo was not as good as the previous guys I mentioned, but he certainly was a very good QB. Was he not good enough to even win a divisional playoff game? Not even one?

My point is, having the goat as in Brady in and of itself isn’t enough. That Tampa D was great last year. In fact it was the defense that overcame Brady’s terrible game in GB in the NFC championship game where he threw 3 picks. If that terrible GB corner doesn’t go to sleep before half with that ridiculous coverage lapse, Brady doesn’t even make the SB. He even said post game his defense bailed him out.

Again, not saying Brady isn’t great- he is the goat. But if all you have to have is a great QB, why aren’t more really good QBs winning SBs?
well lets see.... why doesnt Rodgers have 5 SB titles? Because of other guys.... like Brady, Brees, Manning, Wilson...... they all cant have 5 rings......

As far as Billy boy.... well, year one minus Brady was a disaster. Lets see how year 2 goes. If the man and his Patriots way is as good as advertised, im sure they will at least be back in the afc title game this year............. bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahhaahhahha

kskboys

Reaction score
sorry,... thats a joke. If the bucs still had Jameis, they dont make the playoffs and all of those "Great," moves you speak of for bucs management would have been total ****
Yes. I don't understand your point.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The Cowboys are most popular because they get more air time and publicity than any other team.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
They are living off olds. Most young people view them as a joke. In Dallas, they take a back seat to Luka and the Mavs with the youth.
I don't know about that. I have several friends with kids and grandkids and they are huge Cowboy fans....all of them. Maybe it's the family culture but they live in Dallas and they love them some Boys. Just sayin.