What to do with crowded DL options?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But why reach in mid to later rounds on DL when you have little to no depth with LB and DB and Safety.

The consensus is that the DE picks were not reaches, they were great value. That's why we took them.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
But why reach in mid to later rounds on DL when you have little to no depth with LB and DB and Safety. You already signed Covington and Hyder that were better then what we had last season. Why not look to the future in other areas because Lee is done after this season, uncertainty around our DBs with Lewis, Brown and possibly Jones gone. We signed no FAs in those areas. But instead we keep drafting DL prospects. Sorry doesn't make sense to me.

They try to tell us that the McGovern pick was for the future. What about DB and LB?
Reach? They drafted guys that were higher on their board than where they were picking at. In the later rounds they also look at signability. Position coaches talk to their guys still available and they get info on who is aboard the udfa train and who they need to draft.

75boyz

Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the question or problem here. In one sense you are overloaded at every position - it just kind of matters how you see it. Before the draft at TE you have 4 -- no need. QB 3 -- no need. RB 4 -- no needs. OL -- 8 legit + youngsters no need. LB 5 legit - no need. I mean, it all depends upon how you see the players.
The NFL is an upgrade game......everyone is either going up or down in value and ability always.

IMO, DL is an easy one. You have DLaw and Quinn and a bunch of guys still trying to make this team. I am not sure how they are overloaded here because I don't see any guaranteed guys at inside DL except that they have Hill now that will get a shot at least due to his draft status.

Really nice perspective and post. Good job.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I understand what the Jones's are attempting to do with our DL. I get more pressure on the QB causes less stress on the defensive backfield and linebackers. But with that said, why go out and sign Covington and Hyde in free agency, and still go out and draft Hill, Jackson and Jelks this past draft with all the options already available in camp?

Lawrence and Quinn are shoe ins.

Collins, Woods, Covington and Hill should be shoe ins.

But the latest draft has really put us in a pickle. What do we do with Crawford and Taco? What about Hyde? We still have Gregory that is an unknown. Armstrong was drafted last season and hasn't played yet.

We can only take 8-9 DL with us out of camp to fill roster. What happens? Im afraid we wasted one too many picks on the DL when we needed the obviously safety. Only for us now to have all these numbers on DL that we may have to lose for nothing.

What are your thoughts?
yg04e9rndoj9vdusnvds.jpg

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
yes, rather crowded. we know the top 4 are Lawrence, Quinn, Hill, Woods, then the rest. I think we keep Armstrong, he is only in second year. I think Taco is either cut or traded. we are trying to trade. Gregory is a wild card. Hyde is probably safe since he can slide to DT and play DE. I think Crawford may get cut post june 1st. savings on the cap and can Hyde give us what he does? perhaps. don't forget wise.......

my thought is

Quinn, Lawrence, Hill, Woods, Hyde, Gregory, Armstrong, Covington, Collins.

Wise, Jackson, Jelks to PS.

Taco traded

Crawford post June 1st cut.

Who are we going to try to sucker for Taco Bell? The brass for for the vikes in the H. Walker great train robbery are all out of the business because of that trade.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But why reach in mid to later rounds on DL when you have little to no depth with LB and DB and Safety. You already signed Covington and Hyder that were better then what we had last season. Why not look to the future in other areas because Lee is done after this season, uncertainty around our DBs with Lewis, Brown and possibly Jones gone. We signed no FAs in those areas. But instead we keep drafting DL prospects. Sorry doesn't make sense to me.

They try to tell us that the McGovern pick was for the future. What about DB and LB?

Without adding the UDFAs, they have:
14 .....DL for 4 positions
13 .....DBS for 4 positions
6 .....LBs for 2-1/3 positions (The SLB plays less than 30% of snaps)

Rank Pos Player
1 DE Demarcus Lawrence
2 DE Robert Quinn
3 DE Kerry Hyder
4 DE Taco Charlton
5 DE Dorance Armstrong
6 DE Joe Jackson
7 DE Jalen Jelks
8 DE Shakir Soto

Rank Pos Player
1 DT Tyrone Crawford
2 DT Trysten Hill
3 DT Maliek Collins
4 DT Antwaun Woods
5 DT Christian Covington
6 DT Daniel Ross

Rank Pos Player
1 S Xavier Woods
2 S Jeff Heath
3 S George Iloka
4 S Donovan Wilson
5 S Darian Thompson
6 S Kavon Frazier
7 S Jameill Showers

Rank Pos Player
1 CB Byron Jones
2 CB Chidobe Awuzie
3 CB Anthony Brown
4 CB Michael Jackson
5 CB Jourdan Lewis
6 CB C.J. Goodwin

1 LB Leighton Vander Esch
2 LB Jaylon Smith
3 LB Sean Lee
4 LB Joe Thomas
5 LB Chris Covington
6 LB Justin March-Lillard

cnuball21

Reaction score
Battle it out in camp and go from there.

This...let the competition shake out and see what happens.

The DE battle is going to be fun to watch with all of the youngsters competing for a roster spot.

Really hope to see Taco make the year 3 to being solid.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I understand what the Jones's are attempting to do with our DL. I get more pressure on the QB causes less stress on the defensive backfield and linebackers. But with that said, why go out and sign Covington and Hyde in free agency, and still go out and draft Hill, Jackson and Jelks this past draft with all the options already available in camp?

But the latest draft has really put us in a pickle. What do we do with Crawford and Taco? What about Hyde? We still have Gregory that is an unknown. Armstrong was drafted last season and hasn't played yet.

We can only take 8-9 DL with us out of camp to fill roster. What happens? Im afraid we wasted one too many picks on the DL when we needed the obviously safety. Only for us now to have all these numbers on DL that we may have to lose for nothing.

What are your thoughts?
having too many is a good problem. competition builds for better players. The depth is where the weakness was last yr. Covington and Kerry didnt sign big deals and can be easily scratched off of they dont pan out.

Lawrence
Quinn
Crawford
Hill
Collins
Woods

Are Locks with Gregory a lock once he is reinstated until then he is a non factor in the mix

So these guys will be fighting for the last 3 spots IMO

Taco
Armstrong
Ross
Covington
Kerry
Jackson
Jelks
Wise
Walker

Think the 3 guys will be

Taco
Covington
Wise

mmohican29

Reaction score
having too many is a good problem. competition builds for better players. The depth is where the weakness was last yr. Covington and Kerry didnt sign big deals and can be easily scratched off of they dont pan out.

Lawrence
Quinn
Crawford
Hill
Collins
Woods

Are Locks with Gregory a lock once he is reinstated until then he is a non factor in the mix

Taco
Armstrong
Ross
Covington
Kerry
Jackson
Jelks
Wise
Walker

Think the 3 guys will be

Taco
Covington
Wise

Covington, Armstrong, Hyder.

Reason:

Covington can play DT or 3T
Hyder can play DE or 3T
Armstrong too much upside, versatile at LDE or RDE

Taco is no bueno

I think he can be a player but not here. Too much fanimosity. Part ways.

PS:
Wise
Jackson
Jelks

Verdict

Reaction score

Lee was done last year. He’s toast.

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score

Everyone said they wanted a bpa draft.. even to my own selfish want for some of those positions, I know believe they did just that.

gmoney112

Reaction score

Lawrence
Quinn
Crawford
Hill
Collins
Woods

Taco
Armstrong
Ross
Covington
Kerry
Jackson
Jelks
Wise
Walker

Think the 3 guys will be

Taco
Covington
Wise

We could go 3 at TE and 2 at QB, which gives us the option of carrying 10 DL if we don't want to lose one of the youngsters.

With Collins, Quinn up next year, a big case for Crawford savings cut, Taco uncertainty, they might. Could also go long at CB with Jackson, Olumba, Westry, Goodwin all fighting for spots and Byron + Brown up next year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Covington and Hyder were brought in to fill holes prior to the draft. And are good signings. Both are one year deals, and if traded or released, are not a huge cap hit.
But in the draft if you get players that will be long term and competitive. If the draft falls your way, you are then not reaching for need so much.

And if those 2 were not signed, and you draft Hill. Then do you still feel comfortable with ross and some other guy competing for that 8th spot.
also they have kept as many as 10 or 11 on the DL before.

Right now they can keep 10 decent, or on paper decent DL, and still have 2 or 3 others competing. This is a good problem. The FO did this one right.

Well said.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more the merrier. Let 'em know they are expendable. We need healthy players in the rotation. I think Tank and Woods are our best starters. Collins is good when healthy.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

What are your thoughts?

Keep at least 10 DL.

cern

Reaction score
Compete, compete, compete. It won't be as crowded when the final 53 are picked.

conner01

Reaction score
They wanted to have enough options that they wouldn't feel pressure to force a pick at DL in the draft.

Hyder is very cheap with only 300K guaranteed.

Covington only got 117K guaranteed.

Hyder can play DE or DT. He was very good at DE when he last played in a 4-3.

The DE draft picks were late rounders and Taco is still a question mark. They as much about 2020 as 2019 because late round rookie DEs usually take time to develop.

Covington is the only other decent option at 1-tech besides Woods.

Covington would have been great to have against the Rams. The 4th DT in that game was Reid who was a street free agent that was signed then cut then signed again last season. He struggled in the Rams game and Woods got injured.
I’m guessing we are gonna cut a few guys from a few positions that can play in this league
That’s a good thing if you cut the right ones
WR, DT and DE had a lot of options
It’s gonna be a very interesting camp and some tough decisions

conner01

Reaction score
Chris Covington
Sean Lee
Justin March-Lillard
Jaylon Smith
Joe Thomas
Leighton Vander Esch

Considering the Cowboys only play 2 LB's most of the time, how many do you think they need? I see 3 Pro Bowlers in that group. Plus they signed a couple good UDFA's.
The thing about LB is special teams
They typically have the size to get off blocks and speed to get down in coverage
Though that’s an advantage of bigger DB’s is they can be more than just a gunner

Sydla

Reaction score
I wanted to just focus on the DT spot.

Who is the odd man out? We only have one pure 1T in Woods (Ross is a JAG). Collins and Covington could also play some 1T but are probably better suited for the 3T spot.