What Tony Pollard’s Numbers Make Clear

Blackspider214

Reaction score
That’s perhaps a little too early to tell. Pollard’s not an every down, carry a full load back IMO. He’s really good but I don’t see him getting big money.

You really estimate Jerry and Stephen and handing out terrible contracts. If they gave Jaylon an extension after one single good season with having one eyar left on his rookie deal, any thing is possible.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If you’re referring to Pollard’s inside between tackles running, he was already displaying that within his last two years.. he just wasn’t just making his mark off ‘just’ interior running
This 109 yards rushing vs Chargers wasn’t the first time Tony has had over 100+ yard rushing.

But what we are seeing more from Pollard now ( albeit just 2 games in ’21) per Kellen’s design is his use of Pollard as both a gimmick role as well as continued traditional RB role, in a relief role.

So long as Pollard is getting touches that make him productive and provide big plays I have no problem with those roles.

Provided nothing vs Bucs” ? He had a 4.67 rushing avg. albeit it to jet sweep reverses , or pass game with bubble screens although Kellen opt to limited his touches in 2nd half, and Kellen opt more to just drop back pass to beat the Bucs.

What seems to be clearly making the suddenly Zeke vs Pollard debate is speed, splash, burst, 20+ plays ..and those were elements that zeke was being criticized for being absence for some time now, and

There’s no questioned that it spun Zeke’s commitment on offseason to slender down and try to recapture that lost burst and splash plays.

Come on man.. 11 of Pollard's 14 rushing yards in the Tampa game came on the game's last play on the stupid gimmick run where he was SUPPOSED to pitch it but forgot to.. Before that play he had 2 carries for 3 yards. A hefty 1.5 average!! Sign me up for more of that!!! Pollard was a non-factor in the run game against Tampa.. Why one would bend over backwards to dismiss that simple fact is beyond me...

quickccc

Reaction score
Come on man.. 11 of Pollard's 14 rushing yards in the Tampa game came on the game's last play on the stupid gimmick run where he was SUPPOSED to pitch it but forgot to.. Before that play he had 2 carries for 3 yards. A hefty 1.5 average!! Sign me up for more of that!!! Pollard was a non-factor in the run game against Tampa.. Why one would bend over backwards to dismiss that simple fact is beyond me...

I'm not sure that he forgot, but more so he was not to pitch on a reverse. It didn't seem like anything was gonna be there is if he did make the pitch.

But it's compelling how this Pollard vs Zeke discussion has seen both sides from Pollard needs an OL ,.Zeke needs OL blocking, Pollard doesn't have starting capability to Zeke is no longer a impact starter ... etc, etc.

The run game wasn't effect with Zeke either. Kellen wasn't compelled to force to drive his van thru a wall.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm not sure that he forgot, but more so he was not to pitch on a reverse. It didn't seem like anything was gonna be there is if he did make the pitch.

But it's compelling how this Pollard vs Zeke discussion has seen both sides from Pollard needs an OL ,.Zeke needs OL blocking, Pollard doesn't have starting capability to Zeke is no longer a impact starter ... etc, etc.

The run game wasn't effect with Zeke either. Kellen wasn't compelled to force to drive his van thru a wall.

Not saying he should have.. Just pointing out that yet again, just looking at the stat sheet misleads the hell out of you. Pollard's 4.67 ypc in that game would have people who didn't watch the game thinking he should have gotten the ball more.. He was the less effective of the two runners that game. Not that Zeke lit it up.. Nobody lights it up on the ground against that bunch.. We knew that was going to be the case going in.. especially with Martin out. Zeke at least did enough on the ground that the Bucs could not just drop 8 and rush three.. like the Chargers did.. But your first sentence is accurate.. Both guys need blocking.. Anybody arguing that either one of them doesn't is just being stupid.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Every fan has their opinion. Mine, Pollard is better & constantly improving, while Zeke is constantly declining. Numbers don't lie.

MEANWHILE.... o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
Not saying he should have.. Just pointing out that yet again, just looking at the stat sheet misleads the hell out of you. Pollard's 4.67 ypc in that game would have people who didn't watch the game thinking he should have gotten the ball more.. He was the less effective of the two runners that game. Not that Zeke lit it up.. Nobody lights it up on the ground against that bunch.. We knew that was going to be the case going in.. especially with Martin out. Zeke at least did enough on the ground that the Bucs could not just drop 8 and rush three.. like the Chargers did.. But your first sentence is accurate.. Both guys need blocking.. Anybody arguing that either one of them doesn't is just being stupid.

I suggest us all to keep to using our eyeball test...rather than just leading with the ESPN stat sheets.

- I'm amazed at the excuses and defense for one side or the other, one Pollard group or Zeke group, while both players are contributing in their own way, on the same team.
But it's clear to me that the perception is that Zeke is Not springing any or not enuff " splash" runs or plays while we see Pollard display burst and splash plays even in a reserve role, is sprewing .

I don't think it was anything Zeke did vs run, that was even the contributor in the Bucs game I saw it as more of his blitz blocking vs Bucs, that double whatever we could not generate in the run game.

Zeke is one of the very best, if not the best blitz blocking RBs in the entire NFL - That pays huge dividend vs the likes of
Bucs Devin White probably the premiere middle LB blitzers in the NFL.

While Pollard's blocking is more of just getting his shadow in the way a good number of times. (ala tripping flag?)
That's not a strong suit of his, no matter the effort.

But it's gonna roll right back to 2016 , when we had a Zeke that was complete in providing speedy, splash big plays along with sound blitz blocking.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I suggest us all to keep to using our eyeball test...rather than just leading with the ESPN stat sheets.

- I'm amazed at the excuses and defense for one side or the other, one Pollard group or Zeke group, while both players are contributing in their own way, on the same team.
But it's clear to me that the perception is that Zeke is Not springing any or not enuff " splash" runs or plays while we see Pollard display burst and splash plays even in a reserve role, is sprewing .

I don't think it was anything Zeke did vs run, that was even the contributor in the Bucs game I saw it as more of his blitz blocking vs Bucs, that double whatever we could not generate in the run game.

Zeke is one of the very best, if not the best blitz blocking RBs in the entire NFL - That pays huge dividend vs the likes of
Bucs Devin White probably the premiere middle LB blitzers in the NFL.

While Pollard's blocking is more of just getting his shadow in the way a good number of times. (ala tripping flag?)
That's not a strong suit of his, no matter the effort.

But it's gonna roll right back to 2016 , when we had a Zeke that was complete in providing speedy, splash big plays along with sound blitz blocking.

Yeah 2016 aint comin back so people mad about that train having already left the station should have gotten up earlier. I don't think we're ever going to get a ton of splash plays from Zeke as long as we're deploying this offensive philosophy. He was pretty much always a wear you down early then watch the dam break late guy when it game to big plays. Huge runs early in games were always a rarity for him. I think people's memories fog over time and they all convince themselves that Zeke was rattling off 40 yard runs in the first quarter on the regular. That just was never the case.

His 4.48 combine time was good but not elite.. What got him long plays early in his career was his long speed. But if you're getting pounded in the backfield a lot you don't get a lot of chances to display that long speed owing to his track background. I do think he could still do a lot of that 2016-2018 stuff if we ran that offense.. Set him deep in the I and let him see the whole line and make one cut with a head of steam.. I think he would run through enough tackles in that alignment to create the elusive big plays folks want so much. But he's not doing that out of shotgun and taking handoffs from a dead standstill. Anyone expecting it is going to be repeatedly disappointed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Lol…..what did zeke do in Tampa? This is hilarious.

How desperate can you be?

Gorgon

Reaction score
Reminds me of when Hambrick was supposedly better than Emmett. That dint work out very well
Mea culpa on that one. Hambrick was really a bust except for that MASSIVE game the Commanders, which I think still is the single game record for a Cowboy rusher.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Mea culpa on that one. Hambrick was really a bust except for that MASSIVE game the Football Team, which I think still is the single game record for a Cowboy rusher.

Uh no.. Demarco Murray had a 250 yard game against the Rams his rookie season which broke Emmitt's record of 237 yards against the Eagles his second or third season. Hambrick's 188? yard game was a good game for sure.. in fact it was like 1/5 of his yards gained all season.. but it was not a team record..

kskboys

Reaction score
No it's not.
If that was the case, we would've have selected LSU/Jax DE K'Lavon Chaisson .. instead of WR CeeDee Lamb.
It's been proven over and over that the teams who use this strategy do not win.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep, not getting that 2016-2018 OL back. Probably never. Elliott without arguably the greatest OL ever is pretty average. When the OL went from great to average, Elliott also went from great to average.

Henry continues to be great even with average OLs.
That was last year when everyone got hurt. Healthy, Titans have a top 3 OL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That was last year when everyone got hurt. Healthy, Titans have a top 3 OL.

Yeah wasn't Lewan a #1 overall pick? And isn't he now the highest paid LT in the league? I don't know how people convince themselves of these cockamamie narratives about certain players.. The Titans O-line is "just average..." LOL! People mention "the eye test" in these arguments all the time.. Go watch them get Henry to the second level untouched 4-5 times a game and tell me again how average they are.. Use the old "eye test" they talk about and report back.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah wasn't Lewan a #1 overall pick? And isn't he now the highest paid LT in the league? I don't know how people convince themselves of these cockamamie narratives about certain players.. The Titans O-line is "just average..." LOL! People mention "the eye test" in these arguments all the time.. Go watch them get Henry to the second level untouched 4-5 times a game and tell me again how average they are.. Use the old "eye test" they talk about and report back.
It's ludicrous. Not only that, the replacements for the injured guys were solid, and they still had their C and LG.

I absolutely hate when people make up crapp to support their weak points.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It's ludicrous. Not only that, the replacements for the injured guys were solid, and they still had their C and LG.

I absolutely hate when people make up crapp to support their weak points.

Yeah I don't know who those guy were who came in but they opened holes for a guy who ran for 2000 yards.. They were anything but average.. As for the last part.. I guess the whole "make up facts to suit my argument" thing is another aspect of the human condition I am not meant to understand.. Right up there with drug use, alcoholism, smoking, wife beating and child molestation. I have no need to understand what makes people do these things.. I'm just happy I'm not wired that way..

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know who those guy were who came in but they opened holes for a guy who ran for 2000 yards.. They were anything but average.. As for the last part.. I guess the whole "make up facts to suit my argument" thing is another aspect of the human condition I am not meant to understand.. Right up there with drug use, alcoholism, smoking, wife beating and child molestation. I have no need to understand what makes people do these things.. I'm just happy I'm not wired that way..
David Quessenberry played OLT, and I believe he's a very solid backup. Dont' know for certain. Dennis Kelly filled in at ORT and was very solid.

BTW, Lewan started 5 games at OLT and Sambrailo started 5 games at OLT, so the OLT spot was ably manned for the first 10 games.