What Tony Pollard’s Numbers Make Clear

RonnieT24

Reaction score
David Quessenberry played OLT, and I believe he's a very solid backup. Dont' know for certain. Dennis Kelly filled in at ORT and was very solid.

BTW, Lewan started 5 games at OLT and Sambrailo started 5 games at OLT, so the OLT spot was ably manned for the first 10 games.

As I typed this it occurred to me .. are the Titans the only franchise in league history to have two 2000 yard rushers? I dare that's a franchise that has shown itself to place a high value on offensive line play .. and apparently are pretty good at coaching it..

kskboys

Reaction score
As I typed this it occurred to me .. are the Titans the only franchise in league history to have two 2000 yard rushers? I dare that's a franchise that has shown itself to place a high value on offensive line play .. and apparently are pretty good at coaching it..
I'd say yes. They generally have a very good OL.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not saying he should have.. Just pointing out that yet again, just looking at the stat sheet misleads the hell out of you. Pollard's 4.67 ypc in that game would have people who didn't watch the game thinking he should have gotten the ball more.. He was the less effective of the two runners that game. Not that Zeke lit it up.. Nobody lights it up on the ground against that bunch.. We knew that was going to be the case going in.. especially with Martin out. Zeke at least did enough on the ground that the Bucs could not just drop 8 and rush three.. like the Chargers did.. But your first sentence is accurate.. Both guys need blocking.. Anybody arguing that either one of them doesn't is just being stupid.

The most hilarious part is just last year you were calling Zeke the best back in the NFL and now you are reduced to struggling to prove he is better than Pollard. LOL
"yah bububububububut if you take away all of Pollards big runs" :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Batman1980

Reaction score
Yes and no. Derrick must be used correctly and I doubt if we'd know how. At present, we are definitely not using Z correctly. We quite simply don't understand the running game.

I'm not sure Jerry has a full enough grasp of the fundamentals of professional football to be a good general manager. I have 26 years of evidence to back me up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes and no. Derrick must be used correctly and I doubt if we'd know how. At present, we are definitely not using Z correctly. We quite simply don't understand the running game.

Ok I will bite..........................how are we not using Zeke correctly?

Batman1980

Reaction score

Zeke is a volume runner who gets stronger as the game goes on. Limiting him to 10-15 touches a game reduces his effectiveness and really makes you wonder why they paid him $90 million.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke is a volume runner who gets stronger as the game goes on. Limiting him to 10-15 touches a game reduces his effectiveness and really makes you wonder why they paid him $90 million.

LOL..........a volume runner?

What you really mean is that he needs tons of carries to get his yards. I think that's the point.

What you are basically saying is that Zeke isn't very good.

Give me the back that only needs 15 carries to get 100 yards

Batman1980

Reaction score

What you really mean is that he needs tons of carries to get his yards. I think that's the point.

No, there's backs who become more effective the more they touch the ball. Adrian Peterson, Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, David Montgomery come to mind.

Zeke doesn't fit our current offensive philosophy that drives the ball through the QB and his 3 WRs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ronnie T described it much better than I ever could, I think it was on the previous page.

From what I see, we are simply running Z into a pile. That's what it looks like to me. He's getting hit in the backfield far too often. There doesn't appear to be any design on our running plays, we just give him the ball and run him into a crowd, and the other team appears to know it's coming. Very strange stuff.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, there's backs who become more effective the more they touch the ball. Adrian Peterson, Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, David Montgomery come to mind.

Zeke doesn't fit our current offensive philosophy that drives the ball through the QB and his 3 WRs.

Moore has just figured out that on some instances Pollard is better. Why would you give the ball to a guy getting 4 yards a pop when the other guy is getting 8 yards a pop?

Zeke just isnt the runner he used to be, simple as that.

You Zeke apologists think of every excuse in the book save the actual truth. Zeke just isnt running the ball well anymore.

When he does I am sure he will get more carries. If Pollard is running the ball better, he will get more carries. Doesnt that make sense for the team? This isnt about helping Zeke, its about what is best for the offense.

The 90 million was wasted the moment the ink dried.

kskboys

Reaction score

Then you must hate Emmit Smith w/ a passion.

The volume ball carriers are the ones most conducive to winning super bowls, BTW. The scatback types that you're referring to do not. Why do you think knucklehead supreme, LeGarret Blount, kept winning super bowls? He's the type of back you need, the tough yards grinder.

Before it's brought up, no, you do not need to pay this type RB like we paid Z. That was foolish.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ronnie T described it much better than I ever could, I think it was on the previous page.

From what I see, we are simply running Z into a pile. That's what it looks like to me. He's getting hit in the backfield far too often. There doesn't appear to be any design on our running plays, we just give him the ball and run him into a crowd, and the other team appears to know it's coming. Very strange stuff.

LOL..........WE are running Zeke into a pile? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

Thats pretty much all Zeke can do at this point and EVERYONE knows it. The gig is up.

"RonnieT described it better"? :lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

RonnieT doesnt know what he is talking about. Pollard is just running the ball better than Zeke and he cant handle the truth.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Moore has just figured out that on some instances Pollard is better. Why would you give the ball to a guy getting 4 yards a pop when the other guy is getting 8 yards a pop?

You Zeke apologists think of every excuse in the book save the actual truth. Zeke just isnt running the ball well anymore.

When he does I am sure he will get more carries. If Pollard is running the ball better, he will get more carries. Doesnt that make sense for the team? This isnt about helping Zeke, its about what is best for the offense.

I'm not a Zeke apologist lol. I never wanted us to draft him and I definitely think they should've let him walk after he tried to hold out in year 3. Runningbacks aren't worth drafting in the top 5 and they're very rarely worth a second contract. Pollard is the better all-around player, Zeke is better at short yardage and blocking. Together they're a decent tandem but I imagine Pollard will leave for greener pastures after this season, hopefully we can get another complement when that happens who can help us continue to hide Zeke's deficiencies.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most hilarious part is just last year you were calling Zeke the best back in the NFL and now you are reduced to struggling to prove he is better than Pollard. LOL
"yah bububububububut if you take away all of Pollards big runs" :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:
You did the same thing when you said zeke had TOO MANY runs.

kskboys

Reaction score

It doesn't. It's only that simple to a fan. I'm not a Z apologist in the least, don't even like him and think he's grossly overpaid.

More carries to Pollard means more runs for more gains, more stalled drives, less YPC. How do I know this? Because we've seen it play out over and over and over.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a Zeke apologist lol. I never wanted us to draft him and I definitely think they should've let him walk after he tried to hold out in year 3. Runningbacks aren't worth drafting in the top 5 and they're very rarely worth a second contract. Pollard is the better all-around player, Zeke is better at short yardage and blocking. Together they're a decent tandem but I imagine Pollard will leave for greener pastures after this season, hopefully we can get another complement when that happens who can help us continue to hide Zeke's deficiencies.

I'm one of his biggest fans going back to his very first play as a Buckeye. (SOme of you should check that out...AWESEOM in a way you;d never expect).

But I wished we would have let him sit on the holdout. He agreed to the rookie contract so....abide.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then you must hate Emmit Smith w/ a passion.

The volume ball carriers are the ones most conducive to winning super bowls, BTW. The scatback types that you're referring to do not. Why do you think knucklehead supreme, LeGarret Blount, kept winning super bowls? He's the type of back you need, the tough yards grinder.

Before it's brought up, no, you do not need to pay this type RB like we paid Z. That was foolish.

I loved Emmitt when he was kicking butt and hated him at the end when he sucked.

Zeke just isnt running the ball well. Its that simple. Pollard is doing it better. Some people it seems cant handle that fact. Which is strange because they are both Cowboys.

Go with the hot hand.

Blount and Emmitt used to hit some big runs. Where are the big runs from Zeke? Its like they dont exist.

Blount won SB's because he played with Brady and Belli.

kskboys

Reaction score
Since Pollard is not a good short yardage back and not near the blocker Z is, I'm not sure why you're conclusing P is better. P is better in space, Z is better short yardage. Since they are polar opposites, it's very hard to compare and decide conclusively who is "better".