What Tony Pollard’s Numbers Make Clear

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Sep 21, 2021.

1. LovinItAll

LovinItAll Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    1,097 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    Man, it isn't your opinion that Zeke is more important, it's a fact.

I love having Pollard. I was excited/surprised when the Boys drafted him after watching him play 3 years for my Tigers. He's always been fun to watch, especially running back kicks in the college game.

He's a great player, but he ain't Zeke.

DCreppinBoysfan likes this.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,041 Messages
    74,186 Likes Received

It’s professional football.

Not very often do I look around the league and see all these RBs that have blocking as a problem.

The only RBs who can’t block well are the guys right out of college and even the college RBs are working on it more because they know it’s a requirement in the pros.

3. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    10,358 Messages
    34,612 Likes Received
    I just find that too many people only read post headlines and don’t even bother to read the content. Trying to make it easier for them to know the big ideas, lol.

Starforever and Diehardblues like this.
  4. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

9,058 Messages
    7,510 Likes Received
    There are RBs that skill set make it easier for their OL.
    the decisive ones,.. the quick hitting ones ..the ones that hit/get in and out of holes
    in a blink, they do wonder for their OL blockers cuz they don't have to hold their blocks
    as long.

Some backs can adjust on the move and re-direct, bounce it outside to a different and open lane.
    While some cannot.

Now zeke's inside middle run to payday TD, that was both in line blocking and Elliott's skill in
    feeling the hole openings and squeezing-leg driving into the lane for a TD,

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

102,882 Messages
    31,394 Likes Received
    The evidently you don't look. There are guys who can do some things, not a lot of RB who are all around players capable of doing everything at high level. All OL are taught to block does not mean all NFL OL can block worth a damn. You want to belittle the position be my guest

6. LovinItAll

LovinItAll Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    1,097 Messages
    1,158 Likes Received
    Man, you've missed the entire point of my post and I'm not going to explain it to you. Don't try to school me on running styles. You can't.

7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,041 Messages
    74,186 Likes Received

Tony Pollards blocking is fine.. Is it better than Zeke’s? No. But Zeke’s blocking hasn’t exactly correlated to wins over the years.

It’s a big play league and Pollard is a big play back.

There is room for both and I like having fresh legs on the field but Tony Pollard is the guy who can crack a game open and make a play for this team.

8. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

7,836 Messages
    11,864 Likes Received

Here are some other numbers for consideration..

Pollard has had at least 8 carries in a game 13 times in his career.. The good news is that he has over 100 yards in 3 of those games.. The bad news is that he's been held under 3 yards per carry in 3 of those and under 4 yards per carry in 6 ... It has been very much feast or famine up until this year. He has looked more consistent this year.. In addition to delivering some big plays he has delivered some chain moving runs staying away from the negative plays as well. If he keeps it up he absolutely earns more touches. His home run quickness contrasted with Zeke's raw power does wonders to keep defenses off balance. It's like a pitcher changing speed on the same pitch to confound hitters. Using both these guys properly is a task Moore should revel in.

9. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

21,321 Messages
    33,484 Likes Received
    This is ole’ Ronald “sleight of hand” T.

Now post Zeke’s 3 and 4 YPC games.

10. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

21,206 Messages
    10,985 Likes Received
    he should get touches. I think splitting the carries and series between them is good for both and good for the cowboys. people tend to project and take a small sample and project a season. if pollard was full time starter, his numbers wouldn't be anywhere close to what he is doing now.....defenses have to prepare for Zeke and Pollard who are different style runners and makes it very difficult for them. keep it as is. lets see on game day who has the hot hand and just go with it.

11. Whirlwin

Whirlwin Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    18,264 Messages
    11,816 Likes Received
    New house , Dorset

12. Established1971

Established1971 fiveandcounting

4,454 Messages
    3,006 Likes Received
    between Zeke and Barkely, I dont think we are going to see any team draft a RB in the top 5 or even 10 in the next 20 years

13. Established1971

Established1971 fiveandcounting

4,454 Messages
    3,006 Likes Received
    remember Michael Wiley? His ypc for 2 years as a back up was real high, then he got cut, never played in the nfl again

CowboysWillRise likes this.
  14. RonnieT24

7,836 Messages
    11,864 Likes Received
    Sure.. in his career Zeke has been held to 3 ypc or less in 10 of 73 games .. By comparison Pollard has been held to 3 ypc or less in 9 of 33 games.. So one guy is held under 3 ypc in 1/7 of his games.. The other guy almost 1/3..

Any questions?

kskboys likes this.
  15. RonnieT24

7,836 Messages
    11,864 Likes Received

Oh sorry you asked for games under 4 as well didn't you..

Zeke has been held to 4 ypc or less in 20 of 73 games.. 27.4%
    Pollard has been held to 4 ypc or less in 15 of 33 games.. 45.4%

Clearly Pollard is better.. because ... um.. well.. cause yall say so.. screw what the numbers say..

Mind you this is happening when one guy is the focal point of opposing defenses while the other is an afterthought and a change of pace back.

kskboys likes this.
  16. CowboysWillRise

CowboysWillRise Well-Known Member

16,619 Messages
    24,306 Likes Received
    Yes sir there is a whole slew if these guys littered through NFL history. The guys like Priest Holmes and Micheal Turner are more so the exception. I think there is a lot of context that goes into determining a player is simply a good 3rd down back or an actual baller. Pollard to this point has shown he can do it any down and as a starter in a limited sample size.

Established1971 likes this.
  17. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

42,146 Messages
    25,129 Likes Received
    One game starting is hardly proven results.

Pollard is an excellent compliment providing a skill set Elliott doesn’t always provide. But it’s an unknown he’d be as effective as the starting work horse with defenses focusing on stopping him initially.

18. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

42,146 Messages
    25,129 Likes Received
    True. And we need to try and minimize or streamline the post so more will read its full content.

19. RonnieT24

7,836 Messages
    11,864 Likes Received

Hey man I went to Harvard.. I can't speak in two and three word sentences just so softheads can sorta understand. I try to direct my posts to intelligent people.. Stupid people (or those who pretend to be when it suits them) are none of my concern.

kskboys likes this.
  20. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

18,159 Messages
    19,610 Likes Received
    No, it's not fine. Have you even been watching?

kskboys likes this.