What Tony Pollard’s Numbers Make Clear

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No, it's not fine. Have you even been watching?

Yeah. It’s not a issue.

Zeke’s just great at it but Zeke’s great blocking has minimal impact on the outcome of football games and whatever we give up in RB pass blocking and gain in big play ability is worth it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hey man I went to Harvard.. I can't speak in two and three word sentences just so softheads can sorta understand. I try to direct my posts to intelligent people.. Stupid people (or those who pretend to be when it suits them) are none of my concern.
I hear ya. I can be longwinded too.

In social media anything over 7 words is subject to be looked over or lose its intent or impact.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes sir there is a whole slew if these guys littered through NFL history. The guys like Priest Holmes and Micheal Turner are more so the exception. I think there is a lot of context that goes into determining a player is simply a good 3rd down back or an actual baller. Pollard to this point has shown he can do it any down and as a starter in a limited sample size.
He hasn't. Pollard goes down too easily on short yardage carries.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s not a issue.

Zeke’s just great at it but Zeke’s great blocking has minimal impact on the outcome of football games and whatever we give up in RB pass blocking and gain in big play ability is worth it.
It's always an issue if it ends a play or Prescott gets hammered. I don't care about your agenda, I want both RBs to play because they're both very good.

But to suggest pass blocking has a minimal effect on the outcome is just stupid talk.

Repeat big play ability 100 more times.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No, it's not fine. Have you even been watching?

They asked Pollard to block a couple of times against Tampa.. He whiffed on one and got a penalty on the other.. I don't think they even bothered to ask him to do it on Sunday. The same coaching staff being hailed as geniuses for getting him more touches may also be smart enough not to ask him to block.. Pollard got the ball on like 16 of the 21 snaps he was in the game.. They're not bringing him in to block.. They also ran him wide on 9 of his 13 carries. Seems to me they know what he's good at and what he's not.. even if some fans can't accept it.

Reactions: G2

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sure.. in his career Zeke has been held to 3 ypc or less in 10 of 73 games .. By comparison Pollard has been held to 3 ypc or less in 9 of 33 games.. So one guy is held under 3 ypc in 1/7 of his games.. The other guy almost 1/3..

Any questions?

Great. Now show how many carries Zeke had in those games under 3 and 4 YPC.

If you understood how statistical analysis works you would know that the higher sample size number (in this carries) provides you the more predictably accurate resulting average.

RB “A” averaging 3.0 YPC on 8 carries is not as reliable a depiction of what that player can do versus RB “B” that’s averaged 3.0 YPC on 18 carries.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our record when Elliott gains over a 100 yards rushing is impressive . That should remain a focus for us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's always an issue if it ends a play or Prescott gets hammered. I don't care about your agenda, I want both RBs to play because they're both very good.

But to suggest pass blocking has a minimal effect on the outcome is just stupid talk.

Repeat big play ability 100 more times.

I said whatever we give up is fine. Stop acting like Pollard is a complete liability. He’s at worst league average when it comes to blocking.

Zeke blocks like a guard but the problem is he runs more like one too. (I’m joking lol)

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Great. Now show how many carries Zeke had in those games under 3 and 4 YPC.

If you understood how statistical analysis works you would know that the higher sample size number (in this carries) provides you the more accurate the resulting average is.

RB “A” averages 3.0 YPC on 8 carries is not a reliable depiction of what that player can do versus RB “B” that’s averaged 3.0 YPC on 18 carries.

Do it yourself.. I don't chase goalposts.. No matter how many numbers tell you that Zeke is more consistent you'll find a way to poo poo it.. So go do your own homework.. I'm not wasting any more time presenting facts to people who refuse to accept them.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They asked Pollard to block a couple of times against Tampa.. He whiffed on one and got a penalty on the other.. I don't think they even bothered to ask him to do it on Sunday. The same coaching staff being hailed as geniuses for getting him more touches may also be smart enough not to ask him to block.. Pollard got the ball on like 16 of the 21 snaps he was in the game.. They're not bringing him in to block.. They also ran him wide on 9 of his 13 carries. Seems to me they know what he's good at and what he's not.. even if some fans can't accept it.
That's what I see, there are pros and cons, but with both we have more to work with.

quickccc

Reaction score
Don’t even have to go back that far. This is Felix and Marion all over again. Felix was that I’m high dynamic player who can break one at moment(Pollard) and MBIII was the bruiser, do it all back(Zeke) everybody was clamoring for Felix to be more feature and then the Cowboys let MBIII leave and Felix got all the carries and it was a disaster.

Zeke is overpaid but he’s needed and probabaly IMO much more important than Pollard because his blocking assignment. Dak got on a play already this season which had me holding my breath because Pollard couldn’t pick up a blocking assignment.

what i am awaiting to see ..and fear Not seeing, is if Zeke can get back to being more of a Adrian Peterson type back
one based on both power and speed, and not just a bruiser.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tony Pollards blocking is fine.. Is it better than Zeke’s? No. But Zeke’s blocking hasn’t exactly correlated to wins over the years.

It’s a big play league and Pollard is a big play back.

There is room for both and I like having fresh legs on the field but Tony Pollard is the guy who can crack a game open and make a play for this team.
And the short yardage backs keep being instrumental in super bowl runs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I said whatever we give up is fine. Stop acting like Pollard is a complete liability. He’s at worst league average when it comes to blocking.

Zeke blocks like a guard but the problem is he runs more like one too. (I’m joking lol)
No you're exaggerating to try and save face. I'm not acting like anything. You said his blocking was fine, I disagreed and now you're flipping it back around trying to discredit Elliott.
League average? You have no idea what you're talking about. And you have trouble reading.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Do it yourself.. I don't chase goalposts.. No matter how many numbers tell you that Zeke is more consistent you'll find a way to poo poo it.. So go do your own homework.. I'm not wasting any more time presenting facts to people who refuse to accept them.
Some fans lean on the averages too much. I don't think Pollard would be nearly effective if he carried the load all season long.
And it seems the staff thinks the same.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
what i am awaiting to see ..and fear Not seeing, is if Zeke can get back to being more of a Adrian Peterson type back
one based on both power and speed, and not just a bruiser.

While I think this sort of ability is still in Zeke I don't think we are ever going to see it in this offense. He's just not a shotgun type runner.. It's a bad marriage IMHO. Much as I would love to see us go back to a downhill power running attack Moore isn't going to do that. The best chance we have of ever seeing Zeke at his best is in another uniform in a different offense. We drafted Zeke to be a bigger version of Emmitt.. this offense demands that he be a bigger version of Barry..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Barring an injury Elliott is on pace to have close to 8,000 yards after his 6th season in the league.

Consider that there aren’t any RB’s in NFL history with 12,000 yards or more that aren’t in the HOF.

And he’s under contract thru the 2026 season so it’s very likely he reaches that mark. And with at least 2 rushing titles and numerous Pro Bowls he’s a lock to be inducted if he does reach that plateau.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh sorry you asked for games under 4 as well didn't you..

Zeke has been held to 4 ypc or less in 20 of 73 games.. 27.4%
Pollard has been held to 4 ypc or less in 15 of 33 games.. 45.4%

Clearly Pollard is better.. because ... um.. well.. cause yall say so.. screw what the numbers say..

Mind you this is happening when one guy is the focal point of opposing defenses while the other is an afterthought and a change of pace back.
Ouch. Owned.

I was thinking something similar. Much thanks for putting it together.

These FF thoughts that only long yardage players are valuable is one of the most stupid thoughts I've ever heard.

kskboys

Reaction score
Barring an injury Elliott is on pace to have close to 8,000 yards after his 6th season in the league.

Consider that there aren’t any RB’s in NFL history with 12,000 yards or more that aren’t in the HOF.

And he’s under contract thru the 2026 season so it’s very likely he reaches that mark. And with at least 2 rushing titles and numerous Pro Bowls he’s a lock to be inducted if he does reach ghat plateau.
This is about the same crapp as "leaving meat on the bone". It's simply fans who don't like a player picking fleas.

It is a good part Zeke's fault for holding out when he was under contract.