What we should learn from this game

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Forget Brady, Arians & Todd Bowles.
The thing to realize is the franchise with the worst winning % in league history has two SB wins since the Cowboys have even made a championship game.
Our fans cry about tanking, rebuilding, getting worst to get better. I would take 20 years of Tampa vs the 20 years of the Dallas Cowboys.

The biggest thing to learn is have a competent defence.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He was running for his life. But on more than one occasion he bailed out way too soon. That's the first time I've seen him look that bad. Imagine if Mahomes had to play against some of the defenses of the past? He'd wet himself.

All else equal, Mahomes would beat Brady. Put the same pressure on Brady that Mahomes had and Brady would've folded.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly.

Barrett and Suh had major impacts for the Bucs defense.

Hopefully, Jerry was sober enough to pay attention.

They also nailed a bunch of 2nd thru 4th round picks on Defensive Backs.

Hopefully, McClay was paying attention.

Somehow, I think he was on his yacht.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What I've learn is, generating a pass rush with just your front 4 is the key for defensive success in this era. TB dominated the reserve tackles, used extra men in coverage and Mahomes was running for his life every single play. Chiefs certainly should of ran the ball more with two safeties back, but they play right in the hands of TB's defense.

Yeah, that was the other problem. The Chiefs were one dimensional. I was saying on my pregame stream that the Chiefs needed to run the ball.

Chappy

Reaction score
The oldest saying in football comes to the fore again...... " Offense will get you to the big dance but DEFENSE will win it for you "

With Barrett and L David both being FA's soon we should be be seriously making a play for 1 if not both of them. Defense is where it is at and it shows through history. The Buccs did not even have the highest rated defense in the league but they have stars everywhere and a young home grown secondary that played lights out tonight shutting down Mahomes and that star studded offense.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The Bucs went out and got a high quality free agent QB who has a winning tradition, but that in itself wouldn't have been enough. They protected him with quality O-line play and by establishing the run. With that going on, then that talented QB was able to make big plays to his weapons. Even more important: They gave him a high quality defense. Mahommes is a great quarterback, but that didn't matter today because he barely had time to throw and he got roughed up a lot. Cowboy fans like looking back to our great quarterback eras of Staubach and Aikman, and those guys were amazing, of course. However, both those guys had what we say today in the Bucs. They had great O-lines. They had great running games. And they had superb defenses that could make stops, cause turnovers, pressure the QB, and cause opposing offenses to make mistakes.

All of the above is why I've been saying all along I don't want to simply sign Dak and call it good. Dak without O-line protection, without a good running game, and without a good defense equals failure. And you could say that about any quarterback. This game is a team sport, and it always has been.

I loved this Super Bowl because it showed that you don't have to have a pass-happy offense. I'm so sick and tired of teams going into the shotgun and passing on almost every play. The Bucs did it old school. They established the run, and then picked apart the defense with well-chosen pass plays. And their defense stepped it up for them, making life miserable for a very good offense. What the Bucs did today is the blueprint for what I want to see the Cowboys do.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That you need to be good at DE and DT up front, and that your LB’s need to be very good in Coverage and be able to change directions smoothly and easily.

6-5 255 pound LB’s just aren’t nimble enough nor do they have the lateral quickness needed in today’s NFL. Regardless of how fast they ran a 40 yard dash. LB is rarely played in a straight line.

Get rid of the tall, big LVE types and bring in guys like Lavonte David that can fly around the field and blow up passing lanes. Then spend some money at DT.

Oh, and DB’s don’t have to be 6-2 to be really good at football. A 6 foot tall guy who is great in coverage is ok.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What I learned...well reinforced...is that you need top of the line coaching to succeed deep into the playoffs.

Jerry Jones only wants puppets so he can have the credit he watches someone else take every single season.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Do y’all remember when we drafted Oline a d it worked? Maybe do that on Dline too snd you are in good shape

Bigdog

Reaction score
That Brady has more Super Bowls than any other team in the NFL.

Redline360

Reaction score
In the year 2050 the cowboys have built the best defense in football however now have the worst offense in football.

Jerry Jones downloaded his conscious into a robot and still runs the cowboys.

Flamma

Reaction score
All else equal, Mahomes would beat Brady. Put the same pressure on Brady that Mahomes had and Brady would've folded.

Brady is a statue. That said, I see him hang in the pocket pretty good during his career. I don't usually see him running around like he got shot in the foot. That was not an elite defense out there.

Two times I remember Brady under a lot pressure and both times he lost. Back in 2015 a lost to Denver in the playoffs when Ware and Miller were harassing him. And the first SB against the Giants. But he didn't play bad. Games were close. And against much tougher defenses than this Bucs team.

Sometimes it's about getting the ball out. Not running around like Bob Griese.