What we should learn from this game

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Forget Brady, Arians & Todd Bowles.
The thing to realize is the franchise with the worst winning % in league history has two SB wins since the Cowboys have even made a championship game.
Our fans cry about tanking, rebuilding, getting worst to get better. I would take 20 years of Tampa vs the 20 years of the Dallas Cowboys.
What we Learnis this. Patrick Mahomes shouldn’t have even one last year’s Super Bowl. He’s a throw the ball up Hail Mary quarterback in my opinion. The real Patrick stood up

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh common! Tampa hasn't sniffed a super bowl in well over a decade prior to the arrival of Brady. Tampa's defense is not great.They are good and got a break last night b/c KC's OL is a mash unit and Mahomes needs toe surgery.
You don’t think Tempe defense play great this season. I have to tell you I don’t think you understand the game if you make that statement

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In hindsight, we should have signed Brady and a DT instead of tagging Dak.
Yeah because we had the rest of the team. No Prescott is every bit as good better than Mahomes. The real Mahomes choke stood up Mr. Hail Mary media lover boy I hate him he sucks

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing to realize is the franchise with the worst winning % in league history has two SB wins since the Cowboys have even made a championship game.
Our fans cry about tanking, rebuilding, getting worst to get better. I would take 20 years of Tampa vs the 20 years of the Dallas Cowboys.
Are we going by the last 20 years, or league history? If league history, as your post started out, I'll go with the Cowboys history over Tampa's, without question. If going by the last 20 years, as your post shifted to, then Tampa is not the franchise with the worst winning %. Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit and maybe a few others are worse.

That said, I get your point, and there is a point in there, but if looking at the standard over a time period we should be consistent instead of having it fluctuate to fit the narrative.

In any case, for me that's not the takeaway. The takeaway isn't to dwell on the past, it's to look at how to move forward. This game showed the importance of being strong on both sides of the ball. Tampa's offense was good in the game, without question, but the game would have been very different without the defense stepping up like it did. It's much harder to win, and win consistently, when relying on only one side of the ball to carry the team.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Great point. There is a reason the 5-7 step drop back will never go out of style. It opens up a lot more opportunities than the shotgun, especially playaction. It’s harder to do though which is why it isn’t used as much. Brady of course is a master at it.

Right! You don’t see it as often but he has it down

blueblood70

Reaction score
We should learn. Don’t lose your starting OT’s.
we already learned that we were using our 3rd string OL most of the year and fans here expected zeke and dalton to somehow have great years and blamed MM for being fraud and should have done better..lesson is without an OL hard for offense to function. I believe KC did well most of the season covering the opt out OL and some injuries on the OL but those caught up to them after they lost the last tackle..it fell apart against a great DL..

seriously Mahomes looked like dak all of sudden LOL

Injuries' killed our season and that was evident..yet fans want to keep blaming individual player and coaches..

blueblood70

Reaction score
then go root for the bucs DB!

seriously you are horrible fan they havent done squat either and now one year they put ti together and you want to dump on your own team..please turn in your fan card and get off this site..so ridiculously stupid to say that..

they were worse then us no playoffs for what 15 years? get out of here no fan here would have put up wit that at all..

go take it take it with lots of Vaseline..:facepalm::angry:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Barrett is going to get paid. The one long-term Buc player that really never get talked about is Lavonte David, thought he did a terrific job covering Kelsey.
not talked about that front 7 has been heralded all year..they are one of the best in the league right now up the middle..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What I saw was a balanced attack by the Bucs, Brady threw for 201 and TB RB ran for 150. Defensively Tampa was in zone coverage vast majority of the time and their guys rallied to the ball carrier not allowing many yards after catch and was able to contain Mahomes by staying disciplined on the outside rush yet getting good pressure on the inside. All in all I felt this was a overall team win by the Bucs, not some one man show

Section446

Reaction score
What's funny is that a lot of the pieces that Tampa used (including Brady) to build this beast could have been Cowboys, but instead we insist on overpaying average talent like Dak, Zeke, and Jaylon.

dckid

Reaction score
Are we going by the last 20 years, or league history? If league history, as your post started out, I'll go with the Cowboys history over Tampa's, without question. If going by the last 20 years, as your post shifted to, then Tampa is not the franchise with the worst winning %. Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit and maybe a few others are worse.

That said, I get your point, and there is a point in there, but if looking at the standard over a time period we should be consistent instead of having it fluctuate to fit the narrative.

In any case, for me that's not the takeaway. The takeaway isn't to dwell on the past, it's to look at how to move forward. This game showed the importance of being strong on both sides of the ball. Tampa's offense was good in the game, without question, but the game would have been very different without the defense stepping up like it did. It's much harder to win, and win consistently, when relying on only one side of the ball to carry the team.
Sorry Everyone... I was very vague in my anger last night, it was very Skip & Stephen A. Yes it was hyperbole at some level.
But the real takeaway is how Jerry has ruined the culture since Jimmy left. Our front office is a mess and there are a lot of truths in what I said.
Jerry never wanted to bottom out when a team should, he is obsessed to be in the middle of the pack and just be relevant. You actually have to learn from the past, otherwise you will never learn.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's funny is that a lot of the pieces that Tampa used (including Brady) to build this beast could have been Cowboys, but instead we insist on overpaying average talent like Dak, Zeke, and Jaylon.
Fans often say that, as if Dallas has first dibs on every free agent, but that's not the case.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry Everyone... I was very vague in my anger last night, it was very Skip & Stephen A. Yes it was hyperbole at some level.
But the real takeaway is how Jerry has ruined the culture since Jimmy left. Our front office is a mess and there are a lot of truths in what I said.
Jerry never wanted to bottom out when a team should, he is obsessed to be in the middle of the pack and just be relevant. You actually have to learn from the past, otherwise you will never learn.
I disagree that bottoming out is necessary. KC, for example didn't bottom out before getting to and winning the Super Bowl last year. I think a team just needs to make the tough decisions, and Jerry often isn't very good at that.

I also don't agree that Jerry is obsessed with wanting to be in the middle of the pack. What would possibly be more attractive about that than winning the Super Bowl? What I think Jerry is obsessed with is doing it the way he wants and getting credit, which ultimately just means Jerry isn't a strong enough General Manager.

In any case, this game didn't teach us the Cowboys have had an unimpressive 2 years, and that things aren't right with the team. We knew that already. A lesson should be about moving forward, and looking at what successful teams are doing right.

csirl

Reaction score
I think Brady should aim to be the first QB to win a SB with 3 different teams. Hint hint

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Oh common! Tampa hasn't sniffed a super bowl in well over a decade prior to the arrival of Brady. Tampa's defense is not great.They are good and got a break last night b/c KC's OL is a mash unit and Mahomes needs toe surgery.
Tampa made the Super Bowl because they played a rookie backup QB/a QB with a torn rotator cuff and another OL that couldn’t protect even after the defense got 3 straight INTs from Brady.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
I learned that maybe Andy Dalton shouldn't be judged near as harshly or compared to Dak this year, when Dak had the starting tackles, and Andy played without them. Might have been an apples and oranges thing.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lots to learn:
  • TEAMS win. Not individual players. You have to have talent of course. But it takes organizational competence and commitment from top to bottom to develop a TEAM that can win a championship.
  • Culture matters. I heard it said at least 5 times tonight during the game- Tom Brady changed the culture. He brought some accountability.
  • FOOTBALL IS A GAME OF FUNDAMENTALS. Good Tackling still matters- it’s a completely underrated fundamental- both teams were excellent tacklers. If you keep a 5 yard pass a 5 yard pass you can compete defensively. Good Blocking is also a fundamental. And not just OL. Receivers, RBs and TEs must be good blockers too. If you can tackle and block effectively, you can compete.
what everyone should have learned long ago is that you have to have a strong, disciplined football team in all 3 phases. don't have to be the very best in any single thing but solid everywhere. if you have weakness, other teams will find it & exploit.
once KC's Oline was banged up, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.