What will be the best plan to fix our receiving core?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This will be my last installment of taking a deep dive of the team's, offseason needs and will next look into the best fits.

It is fair to say the Cowboys receiving group was one of the worst in the playoff field and bottom third in the league:

-Lamb started off shaky, but he has the look of a true #1 WR now, as he is showing why we drafted him so high.
-Noah Brown in essence was our #2 receiver and deep threat for the majority of the year. Former special teamer and was miscast, better as a #5 receiver on a good team.
-It appears the team rush back Michael Gallup, where he just wasn't the same player. Not only could be no longer stretch the field, one of the worst in separation.
-Tolbert had a terrible rookie season, where he failed to contribute anything. Think they overloaded the kid and he was thinking too much. There is still hope here.
-Semi is entering year 3, it's now or never for him. Reportedly had a great camp, but suffered an early injury that he never came back from. He has the legit deep speed.
-Hilton was a good late season signing, but he only came back for a playoff run, he is expected to go back into retirement.

Needs/Outlook

-Team desperately needs a true #2 receiver opposite Lamb as they cannot count on Gallup returning to pre-injury form.
-Depth is also an issue, as we cannot count on either of our two young prospects to take the next step.

Early on both the receiving draft class and fa looks very weak to say the least. Team would be best served signing a player like OBJ or Keenan Allen, but also can look into the trade market as well. As for depth, they can either draft another prospect or look to add a low cost veteran. Personally, I wouldn't even consider drafting a receiver until the 3rd round at the earliest.

J-man

Reaction score
Trade for Amari Cooper, JK!
But yeah we need someone, especially after we lose Dak's blanky Dalton Shultz.
There are a few I'd consider in FA, JUJU, Myers, Chark, Hardman, Lazard, Campbell
Could we possibly trade for someone like Moore or maybe Ridley?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Trade for Amari Cooper, JK!
But yeah we need someone, especially after we lose Dak's blanky Dalton Shultz.
There are a few I'd consider in FA, JUJU, Myers, Chark, Hardman, Lazard, Campbell
Could we possibly trade for someone like Moore or maybe Ridley?
None on this list really move the needle so to speak. Really think outside ODB, Allen if released are the two best in fa. Trade market might be the best way to address this need.

visionary

Reaction score
As I stated, Hilton only came back for a SB run, he wants to spend time with his family and is likely to return being retired.
He will probably come back for another year for the same chance and money

cnuball21

Reaction score
Trade / FA + early draft pick.

Michael Thomas is an intriguing name. I wonder if the Saints would consider moving him and eating some contract.

visionary

Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but I don't think we having 2 aging vets is the answer.
It’s not about aging, it’s about experience
This is a 1 year deal with MM
If we don’t do well he is gone
To give Dak a good chance in a new system get him some experienced but still productive WRs
JMO

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This will be my last installment of taking a deep dive of the team's, offseason needs and will next look into the best fits.

It is fair to say the Cowboys receiving group was one of the worst in the playoff field and bottom third in the league:

-Lamb started off shaky, but he has the look of a true #1 WR now, as he is showing why we drafted him so high.
-Noah Brown in essence was our #2 receiver and deep threat for the majority of the year. Former special teamer and was miscast, better as a #5 receiver on a good team.
-It appears the team rush back Michael Gallup, where he just wasn't the same player. Not only could be no longer stretch the field, one of the worst in separation.
-Tolbert had a terrible rookie season, where he failed to contribute anything. Think they overloaded the kid and he was thinking too much. There is still hope here.
-Semi is entering year 3, it's now or never for him. Reportedly had a great camp, but suffered an early injury that he never came back from. He has the legit deep speed.
-Hilton was a good late season signing, but he only came back for a playoff run, he is expected to go back into retirement.

Needs/Outlook

-Team desperately needs a true #2 receiver opposite Lamb as they cannot count on Gallup returning to pre-injury form.
-Depth is also an issue, as we cannot count on either of our two young prospects to take the next step.

Early on both the receiving draft class and fa looks very weak to say the least. Team would be best served signing a player like OBJ or Keenan Allen, but also can look into the trade market as well. As for depth, they can either draft another prospect or look to add a low cost veteran. Personally, I wouldn't even consider drafting a receiver until the 3rd round at the earliest.
I think you need to monitor Nuke is Arizona. Are they going to trade him? If he can be had for a 3rd or 4th, there is your awnser. That really lessens the need to use a high pick on a WR. Although I still think you should draft one in the top 150 as a way of hedging your bet on Tolbert

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think you need to monitor Nuke is Arizona. Are they going to trade him? If he can be had for a 3rd or 4th, there is your awnser. That really lessens the need to use a high pick on a WR. Although I still think you should draft one in the top 150 as a way of hedging your bet on Tolbert
Think they need more of a proven veteran then developing another receiver. They did look into the trade market, but decided against making a deal. If they don't address this need prior to the draft, almost have to reach to fill the need. Agree, even if a veteran is signed, they need to add another receiver to protect against our prospects giving nothing for another season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Trade / FA + early draft pick.

Michael Thomas is an intriguing name. I wonder if the Saints would consider moving him and eating some contract.
He is definitely a guy to consider, but they really have to look at his medicals, hasn't really played in a couple of seasons.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Think they need more of a proven veteran then developing another receiver. They did look into the trade market, but decided against making a deal. If they don't address this need prior to the draft, almost have to reach to fill the need. Agree, even if a veteran is signed, they need to add another receiver to protect against our prospects giving nothing for another season.
If the cost really was a 1st for Cooks, im glad they passed. However that is definitely a name to remember in the offseason

tm1119

Reaction score
I don’t want to hinge our offense on TY Hilton or OBJ. Sign a player and draft pick. Unfortunately there isn’t much in free agency, but it’s also not to do better than Noah Brown and whatever else we were throwing out there last year. Also have interest in trading for Denzel Mims from the Jets if the cost is a 4th or less.

Something like adding Paris Campbell + Denzel Mims + 2nd/3rd round pick isn’t sexy but at least gives us options. Gallup/Tolbert/Campbell/Rookie battle it out for the #2 and 3 slots and hope 2 rise to the top. Not ideal, but I think getting a legit #2 WR is going to be easier said than done

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If the cost really was a 1st for Cooks, im glad they passed. However that is definitely a name to remember in the offseason
I wouldn't give up a 1, either especially with his contract which you would think the Cowboys would like to restructure. I want add an alpha to this group, Beckham, Allen or Hopkins. To be able to get any of the three, they are going to need to free up some money.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t want to hinge our offense on TY Hilton or OBJ. Sign a player and draft pick. Unfortunately there isn’t much in free agency, but it’s also not to do better than Noah Brown and whatever else we were throwing out there last year. Also have interest in trading for Denzel Mims from the Jets if the cost is a 4th or less.

Something like adding Paris Campbell + Denzel Mims + 2nd/3rd round pick isn’t sexy but at least gives us options. Gallup/Tolbert/Campbell/Rookie battle it out for the #2 and 3 slots and hope 2 rise to the top. Not ideal, but I think getting a legit #2 WR is going to be easier said than done
We cannot just take another flyer like Washington again this offseason, they need real talent opposite Lamb. Really new a seasoned, outside receiver as Lamb does most of his damage in the slot.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'm still riding the promotion of the running game (+ Dak sramble), to make the opposition secondary honest.
No evidence, but if Jimmie Ward's last season quote about Dak was true, then after we lost Pollard (at which point we were playing well), didn't the 49ers just sat in coverage believing Dak wouldnt/couldn't beat them.

tm1119

Reaction score
We cannot just take another flyer like Washington again this offseason, they need real talent opposite Lamb. Really new a seasoned, outside receiver as Lamb does most of his damage in the slot.
I would love to get a legit #2 WR…but who are the options? Just trying to be realistic about the scenario

And while he hasn’t put up the stats for the Colts, I do think a guy like Campbell is a huge upgrade over what we had last year. He’s 6’ 205 with 4.31 speed. Same with Mims, has been in a bad QB situation, but has a ton of talent

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would love to get a legit #2 WR…but who are the options? Just trying to be realistic about the scenario

And while he hasn’t put up the stats for the Colts, I do think a guy like Campbell is a huge upgrade over what we had last year. He’s 6’ 205 with 4.31 speed. Same with Mims, has been in a bad QB situation, but has a ton of talent
Neither mentioned has done anything in their careers, one missed a ton of games the other has been a healthy scratch for most of his career, these are like James Washington type of signings to me. Get OBJ/Allen or trade for Cooks, Hopkins, Juedy.