What Will Happen At Quarterback This Year?

What will happen at the position in the near future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It never ceases to amaze me how anyone believes Jerral Wayne Jones would entertain even a 0.00001% chance of losing a player he is devoted to. The man has almost literally grown umbilical cords to some players over the past 30 years.

In my opinion, there was no way in West Hell Jones would tender Prescott to a non-exclusive franchise tag. Some people wanted Prescott to test the free agency market and Jones likely had the exact opposite thought.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not much leverage, lol. Dalton on a 1 year deal. If this was about leverage Cowboys would rescinded the tag, they would have drafted a QB within the 1st 2 rds but you don't do it with a aging QB who coming off 3 years of less than avg play. Dak right now does not have to do jack, he has until July 15th to sign the franchise deal which I believe he will unless they he and the Cowboys come to an agreement before hand.

It gives them contract negotiation leverage and buys them time without seeing a worse product on the field because of the QB.

Had they drafted a QB then that wouldn’t have been for leverage. It would’ve been because they are moving on.

Signing Dalton is more about them playing hardball and having a fall back if things go south.

If Dak wants to hold out or whatever now then who cares? We have a QB that can play at his level now or close to it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Dak signs a new contract then that means the signing of Dalton worked for the Jones’s.

That's one thing it could mean. It's not the only thing.

Jerry could still cave, with or without Dalton on the roster.
Jerry could rescind Dak's tag, see who is willing to negotiate with him and it forces both parties to reach an agreement. If Dak walks away from Dallas to play in Chicago for an extra million, so be it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ll get a four year deal done before camp, if nothing else. Hopefully, they can make a five year deal work. This really is a great spot for Dak long-term. He’ll sign eventually.
"Before camp" must be before July 15. Only one-year contracts can be negotiated after the deadline during the 2020 season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We’ll get a four year deal done before camp, if nothing else. Hopefully, they can make a five year deal work. This really is a great spot for Dak long-term. He’ll sign eventually.

4 year deal is a big W for Dak and big loss for Dallas.

I do not mind the short deal because the quicker we can move on and get another QB for cheap the better.

Paying Dak whatever he wants pretty much kisses our Super Bowl chances goodbye until about year 4 of that deal or a CBA kicks in early.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Dalton was signed for several reasons and leverage in negotiations is 1 of those reasons.

You saying that using Dalton in negotiations is the equivalent to believing in Bigfoot is moronic.
Is that why they chose Pollard in last year's draft, to gain leverage on Zeke? You really think that Jerry will go to Dak and say, our offer goes down to $20 million, sign it or we will start the QB we signed from the worst team in the league? You really think Dak is sitting at home, sleepless because we signed Dalton? Yeah that's Yeti riding a unicorn right outside your window!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Dak will start. I also will predict 200+ more Dak threads before the season begins.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is that why they chose Pollard in last year's draft, to gain leverage on Zeke? You really think that Jerry will go to Dak and say, our offer goes down to $20 million, sign it or we will start the QB we signed from the worst team in the league? You really think Dak is sitting at home, sleepless because we signed Dalton? Yeah that's Yeti riding a unicorn right outside your window!

Zeke was the best runner in football.

Do not compare the best runner in football to the 10th-15th best QB who wants the most money in all of football.

We don’t have to pay Lamborghini prices for a Honda because the stupid neighbors did.

Dak should’ve been signed by now but keep ignoring things like Dalton being signed and Stephens comments about the contract last week.

Dalton gained leverage in the negotiations. Obvious.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is struggling so mightily against the notion that signing Dalton altered the team's bargaining positioning with Dak. Without Dalton, the team had no real plan to deal with the possibility of Dak holding out. With him, Dak loses that leverage.

Only a fool would suggest that the team would prefer at this point to head into the season with Dalton under centre instead of Dak. But it's a possibility that Dak and his people now have to respect in negotiations. It lessens the likelihood of a holdout by significantly decreasing the risk to the Cowboys, and significantly increasing the risk to Dak, of such a holdout.

Those claiming that this move wasn't partly done for leverage in the negotiations with Dak are ignoring the changes it created in the parties' respective exposure to risk.

I would expect this changes absolutely nothing from Dak's camp. Dalton, Newton, Winston we're all just sitting there a week ago & could have been signed at any time.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke was the best runner in football.

Do not compare the best runner in football to the 10th-15th best QB who wants the most money in all of football.

We don’t have to pay Lamborghini prices for a Honda because the stupid neighbors did.

Dak should’ve been signed by now but keep ignoring things like Dalton being signed and Stephens comments about the contract last week.

Dalton gained leverage in the negotiations. Obvious.
You can find a good running back in every draft, and they should have done that. The best running back doesn't get you to the SB. QBs get paid accordingly to those who got paid before them. Dak is next, he will get what the next QB gets. It will be short lived, Mahomes will be getting more, so will Watson. No one in the NFL cares that in you opinion Dak is a Honda. Like it or not, he's a top 10 QB, who will get paid accordingly, and will be the starter for the Dallas Cowboys for the next 4 or 5 years. The sooner you accept it the sooner you'll get over your hate. Simple as that.......

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Dalton to me is like a John Kitna backing up Romo. A solid backup. But Dalton is also an insurance policy in case Dak holds out. He's 32 years old and has had success in the past. A 32 year old QB is not washed up. Give Dalton the weapons and ideal surroundings and he can have success. If I were Prescott I'd play under the tag at the very least. If he holds out he may never get his job back. These aren't the Bengals.

We don't know what Dalton is at this point. He could be refreshed by a new start or he could be a broken man. That's the gamble part in all of this if you're talking about Dak insurance. What we do know is that Dalton was 2-12 last year, turning in a pedestrian year. Again, not bad for back-up quality. QB1 quality on a "potential" high-powered offense? Don't know. Sounds more like bus driver to me which is stop-gap talk. Would that click for the dogs we have on offense? Again the FO would have to be willing to chance that. Not sure they'd want to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It gives them contract negotiation leverage and buys them time without seeing a worse product on the field because of the QB.

Had they drafted a QB then that wouldn’t have been for leverage. It would’ve been because they are moving on.

Signing Dalton is more about them playing hardball and having a fall back if things go south.

If Dak wants to hold out or whatever now then who cares? We have a QB that can play at his level now or close to it.

Give me a break this is your own wishful thinking. Dak has until July 15th to sign the franchise, Signing Dalton does not mean jack. I don't see Dallas rescinding the tag, I don't see them getting legit QB be it the draft or within FA. Dalton is here as a backup and likely would have been signed regardless. Fact is when Garrett was here it was all Garrett fault and you made daily comments, he is gone and now Dak become the reason. I fully expect daily digs at Dak from this point on since you don't have Garrett

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can find a good running back in every draft, and they should have done that. The best running back doesn't get you to the SB. QBs get paid accordingly to those who got paid before them. Dak is next, he will get what the next QB gets. It will be short lived, Mahomes will be getting more, so will Watson. No one in the NFL cares that in you opinion Dak is a Honda. Like it or not, he's a top 10 QB, who will get paid accordingly, and will be the starter for the Dallas Cowboys for the next 4 or 5 years. The sooner you accept it the sooner you'll get over your hate. Simple as that.......

If it was that easy Dak would’ve got it.

Zeke didn’t have to sit through franchise tags and 2 years of waiting to get paid..

Dak is getting the Cousins treatment right now..

He isn’t getting Carson Wentz or Jared Goff treatment.

How are you ignoring this?

I have no doubt he will get paid.

I also have no doubt that Andy Dalton gives them leverage in negotiations because if he has to play we will be fine.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Give me a break this is your own wishful thinking. Dak has until July 15th to sign the franchise, Signing Dalton does not mean jack. I don't see Dallas rescinding the tag, I don't see them getting legit QB be it the draft or within FA. Dalton is here as a backup and likely would have been signed regardless. Fact is when Garrett was here it was all Garrett fault and you made daily comments, he is gone and now Dak become the reason. I fully expect daily digs at Dak from this point on since you don't have Garrett

I don’t see them rescinding the tag either.

If Dak holds out now then who cares... That option was basically taken away with Dalton.

Shane612

Reaction score
Jones will leverage Dalton to force Prescott to accept franchise tag.

Shane612

Reaction score
Dak and Dalton will not become BFF, but they'll get along.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don’t see them rescinding the tag either.

If Dak holds out now then who cares... That option was basically taken away with Dalton.

and Dak has until July 15th do either sign or not. Meantime I fully expect both sides to come to some type of agreement. I certainly do not see Dalton affecting the outcome of it.

Flamma

Reaction score
We don't know what Dalton is at this point. He could be refreshed by a new start or he could be a broken man. That's the gamble part in all of this if you're talking about Dak insurance. What we do know is that Dalton was 2-12 last year, turning in a pedestrian year. Again, not bad for back-up quality. QB1 quality on a "potential" high-powered offense? Don't know. Sounds more like bus driver to me which is stop-gap talk. Would that click for the dogs we have on offense? Again the FO would have to be willing to chance that. Not sure they'd want to.

The Bengals went 2-14 last year and it's probably not due to Dalton. Their team was abysmal. Dalton is not a superstar. A good or great quarterback is not 12-4 no matter what team he plays for. They don't play in a vacuum. Dalton was a fairly decent QB that played well when the pieces were around him. Not so well when they weren't. You can even make a case against Troy Aikman when the team fell apart. Does that make him crap? The same thing can happen to Dak that happened to Romo and Aikman if he holds out. If another QB has a winning streak while you're gone, you'll be riding the pine.