1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

What will the media come up with next?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Mountaineerfan, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Mountaineerfan

Mountaineerfan Well-Known Member

1,083 Messages
    1,050 Likes Received
    [​IMG]
    As temperatures heat up, most of us are turning on the air conditioning, but experts say it could be playing a part in spiking COVID cases in the south. Today at 5, the method they say could help cut down on the spread.

Those horrible Air conditioners must be spreading this around.

2. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received
    Idk how much of an increased risk it is.

but people being in an enclosed space thats recirculating The same air is a higher risk for contracting the virus, if you’re in the same building as them. As opposed to being in a building with the windows open and having fresh air blowing through it. Or being outside.

So if one family member gets the virus. And the windows are all closed with the AC on. It’s a higher risk that everyone else in the house will get it.

Of course, it’s already a very high risk.

3. Dallasfann

Dallasfann Well-Known Member

1,165 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    I sincerely hope you're doing okay. Have a great 4th.

4. Vtwin

Vtwin Power and Performance

3,768 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    The solution is simple. Drape a piece of cotton fabric over the vents. Problem solved!

RJ_MacReady and Flamma like this.
  5. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

I’m doing fine thanks . Same to you.

6. Dallasfann

Dallasfann Well-Known Member

1,165 Messages
    1,656 Likes Received
    Nice...I've got one also. Get a tent. Go into the woods. Don't tell anyone where you are going. Don't leave your camp site for 5 years. I understand mine is a bit more extreme, but mine I believe, is much more efficient in terms of saving your life.

yimyammer and Air Force One like this.
  7. csirl

csirl Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    2,545 Likes Received
    I thought most modern buildings dont use recycled air? All air in the room replaced with fresh air several times and hour. Where I work it was made mandatory to leave the aircon on in all offices as a covid protection measure. Any airbourne covid gets sucked out and the air replaced with fresh air.

Vtwin likes this.
  8. Vtwin

3,768 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    Might want to learn about how h/v systems work.

9. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

It’s almost like there’s a wide range of systems and range of how effective they are at filtering out microbes.

It’s also almost as if I said in my first post that being inside with somebody who is sick is already high risk with or without AC. And i said Idk how much of an increased risk AC is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/turning-off-ac-could-limit-chance-of-infection-experts-say-2020-4?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/05/19/air-conditioning-coronavirus

https://www.acca.org/news/guest-blog/coronavirus-other-contaminants-indoor-air

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-air-conditioning-spread-covid-19?amp=true

Most of these articles repeat what I said. It may spread viruses around, but then again, being in the same building as somebody with the virus is already high risk. So nobody is really sure.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

37,145 Messages
    6,898 Likes Received
    73? With humidity, that's gotta feel a lot hotter. I couldn't do it. Gotta dial it down a bit, corona be damned.

Air Force One likes this.
  11. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

Perhaps you should call the CDC and explain to
    them how AC systems work. Considering they said this

“We conclude that in this outbreak, droplet transmission was prompted by air-conditioned ventilation. The key factor for infection was the direction of the airflow”

Who to trust about viral transmission? The CDC? Or Vtwin who has provided no information besides a sarcastic comment?

I’ll spend some time thinking about it.

12. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

There are plenty of people that don’t live and work in modern buildings with modern systems though too. Which is a factor to consider.

csirl likes this.
  13. Vtwin

3,768 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    It's almost like you said you didn't know if it was a higher risk then went on to state that it was a higher risk for people in an enclosed space with "recirculating" air. You went as far as to extend the higher risk to all those in the entire building.

It's almost like I mentioned that you might want to learn a bit about H/V systems as they almost always intake fresh air and exhaust inside air, which you didn't seem to understand.

I read every link and according to your research the only evidence that exists for AC exacerbating the problem is one case in China. A case in which the exhaust vents had been blocked.

So, in conclusion, your take is that you don't know if it is a higher risk but it is a higher risk for those in a building with recirculating air. Your conclusion is drawn from a few sources that speculate based on one case that occurred in another country, was limited to those in the immediate area of an air conditioner that had been modified to function improperly.

Got it.

14. Vtwin

3,768 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    One case, in China, to conclude that moving air can carry particles.

Good stuff Dr Dak. Thanks for the education.

Dr Dak says.

15. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

Thanks doctor Vtwin. Thanks for sharing that you know more than the CDC.

thanks for also sharing that you know how every air system in the entire country works, and that they are all working properly. Despite the millions and millions of homes and businesses that have different types of systems
    That work in different ways and were built
    Literally decades if not hundreds of years apart from each other.

thanks so much for sharing your expertise about every single home and buildings AC systems and how likely they are or aren’t to be a risk for promoting viral transmission.

Man you really are clueless.

Rustinpeace21 likes this.
  16. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

Btw, at least I actually shared articles and information directly from the CDC to add to the conversation. As opposed to you, who never adds anything but assumptions and your own idiocy to a conversation.

But yes. We all need to listen to you because you’re an expert and much wiser than people
    At places like the CDC because you’re old or something.

Did you ever think that MAYBE just MAYBE there are thousands if not millions of people in the country who are living or working in Buildings with outdated AC systems or systems
    That don’t have the best ventilation? That maybe just maybe there are people living and working in buildings that are well over 100 years old and aren’t designed with the worry of viral transmission in mind? And then because the buildings are old, people also window AC units in to keep cool, but the building isn’t actually designed for that AC unit to be there originally. Did you ever consider that?

I mean you can’t be so dense to not think that’s possible.

wait never mind, you are that dense. You also love to generalize and make assumptions about everyone else and the homes and buildings they work in, so you can then attack those generalizations and assumptions. Because unfortunately you have nothing else of worth to add to a conversation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

15,101 Messages
    25,648 Likes Received
    Until Bigfoot gets you!!!!

When I first heard the AC thing I basically said Whatevs, but if you look at the State by State date of infections and temperatures it actually make a lot of sense. At one point I thought most transmission was from surface contact but it looks like I was wrong and its prolonged indoor exposure.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  18. DakPresgoat

14,560 Messages
    31,431 Likes Received

There’s a ton of factors to consider. It’s not crazy to think that depending on the air flow through a building, aerosolized virus can get caught in the air moving through a building and thus be carried further than it would if the air wasn’t flowing as much.

The CDC study I posted earlier basically said as much. That the direction the air was flowing from the AC system caused the virus to spread because it was blowing the virus toward other people who would have been far enough way to not catch it, if the AC wasn’t blowing.

19. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,191 Messages
    11,648 Likes Received
    The important thing with the HVAC systems is to change the filters on the system. Probably on the order of once per month to be safe.

BigStar likes this.
  20. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

15,101 Messages
    25,648 Likes Received