What would Romo's career with Payton looked like?

cowboybish

Reaction score
What might have been? The Saints acquired Drew Brees in 2006 from SD - the Cowboys Romo in 2003. What could have happened had Romo ended up in New Orleans and Brees didn't. Sean Payton loved Romo and what would have Romo's career looked like in New Orleans under Payton instead of Phillips and then Garrett. ?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Missing out on Payton and signing Garrett was a huge blow to this franchise.

Then the Jones's keeping Garrett for 10 years was the next mistake.

Give a coach 3-5 years.. If you don't see a team competing for titles then move on.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score

Give a coach 3-5 years.. If you don't see a team competing for titles then move on.

This is true though to be fair Sean Payton had his fair share of critics before he went to New Orleans.

I’ll always remember the arse drubbing he gave us in 2006.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What might have been? The Saints acquired Drew Brees in 2006 from SD - the Cowboys Romo in 2003. What could have happened had Romo ended up in New Orleans and Brees didn't. Sean Payton loved Romo and what would have Romo's career looked like in New Orleans under Payton instead of Phillips and then Garrett. ?
Gee, I don't see how that benefits the Cowboys. I thought this was cowboyszone not saintszone.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Totally agree. That’s what successfully managed NFL teams do.

This is an example of why the owner also being the GM, and his oldest son being second in command is not a good idea. Group think sets in. And there’s no check on stupid thinking, like keeping Garrett in place for a decade. The only only NFL owner foolish enough to do that is Cincy’s Mike Brown. Bad company.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo might have been better off - probably would have - but maybe the Saints wouldn't have? Who knows. In any case, I don't feel bad for Romo. That's the way the NFL goes, but he still had a very nice career and made a lot of money, and he parlayed that into a very nice second career. His life worked out pretty well.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If we had Peyton who knows what this team would look like right now. If we don't win anything soon then obviously we should've went with Payton, but going forward it may have worked out for us. Only time will tell.

To answer the main question, it's hard to tell if the Saints would've had more success under Romo. They won a super bowl and have made the playoffs several times. I feel like Romo would've had an even better career in NO, but would the Saints have done better? For sure the Cowboys would've been in a worst spot and we'd probably have a completely different roster right now if Romo was never here. So many things would change with the team just based on a new QB being acquired in the draft.

Bigdog

Reaction score

Yes it was but we had Parcells as HC at the time Payton became HC at NO. Mike Shanahan could had Romo in Denver but he turned them down even though the Broncos offered Romo 10,000 more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Romo wasn't quite as good as Brees, but he would have had an incredible career under Payton. Would probably be a shoe in for the HOF. Brees career under Garrett goes by the wayside like Romo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

HC's can be evaluated in 2 years.

Redline360

Reaction score
Romo under any good organization had hall of fame talent written all over him. Don't get me wrong thinking romo would be better than Brees however he would of had far superior success with a real team

For ***** n giggles if brees was on the cowboys he would just be another player with incredible talent that got wasted by a bunch of boobs in charge

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree but there is still a old school way of thinking in terms of these things so I’ll settle for 3 if I can get it.

Well...……..we can already tell that MM is better than Garrett. That evaluation is already in the books.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Would we have gotten Brees? Thats the main question..

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Sean Payton is overrated. 1 superbowl win and you guys act like he is Belichek. Also with Brees and Payton they had 3 straight 7-9 seasons just a few years ago.

If Romo went to New Orleans I don't think much changes for better. Romo isn't better than Brees

DFWJC

Reaction score
I liked the idea of us signing Payton vs Saints signing Romo