What would you pay Dak to extend him now?

Verdict

Reaction score
I realize Dak is probably not eligible to be resigned yet but I am curious what sort of salary range some of you believe he falls into. What is he worth to us and what will it take to resign him?

I'm not sure where you rank Dak in the pecking order. If you look at his rookie year only he likes like he might be a top 10 QB. Last year he flashed a bit and sucked a bit. Part of that was the OL play. But part of that was Dak.

If Dak was eligible for an extension now:

1. Would you extend Dak now if you could?
2. What sort of contract is he currently worth?
3. What is the bust potential for his second contract from your point of view?
4. Where will he rank in terms of QBs three years from now?
5. Should we draft another QB now and keep our options open for two years from now when Dak is slated to be a free agent?

erod

Reaction score
Nothing. Need to see more from him. A lot more.

Last thing this team needs is an albatross contract from a journeyman backup quarterback.

I've got to see balls thrown accurately to all parts of the field from the pocket first. I'm sure they do, too.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Notta lotta...
Not right now. Although I admit I missed his '16, but I'd probably say the same thing even if I had watched it.

John813

Reaction score
1. No.
2. Dunno. Guys are getting close to 30mil a season on average. Need another year to see.
3. Not high, but he's had a good year and a year that ended on a bad note. Need to see where his game is this year before really answering that question.
4. Honestly can't answer. A lot can change year to year. Hope easily top 10 if not higher.
5. Day 3, sure.

robjay04

Reaction score
Tony Romo signed for 6 years, 67 million with 30 million guaranteed in 2007, you take that deal in a heartbeat.

If Dak fails, you get dead money...which stinks but if he succeeds, you have the best QB contract in the league for the next 6 years.

Verdict

Reaction score
What if right now he would sign for top 15 money with a three year guarantee? That's what I think his current value is. You could save 8 to 10 million per year over a five year contract if it turns out he is the guy we saw in year one. If he is the guy we saw in year two, that is about what he is worth.

I'm not for or against it. If you extend and miss then you get a Crawford contract. (Not a Dez contract because he didn't have a great year and you aren't going to pay him top 5 money). If you guess right you save a lot of cap.

No offense, but if your answer is "I don't know yet" then you had better be advocating using a premium pick on a QB including #19 if the value lines up.

Proof

Reaction score
when are rookies eligible to be extended btw?

Never really thought about how that worked.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
5. Should we draft another QB now and keep our options open for two years from now when Dak is slated to be a free agent?

1. No. I need to see year three.
2. See above.
3. See above.
4. See above.
5. Our "option" would be a guy halfway to free agency who (presumably) hasn't played? The days of QBs learning from the bench for 2-3 years are history. Pass.

No offense, but if your answer is "I don't know yet" then you had better be advocating using a premium pick on a QB including #19 if the value lines up.

No offense, but that would be a waste of resources in the current era of free agency after year 4.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
nothing...need at least one more season to know if we even have our franchise QB..not convinced

Verdict

Reaction score
1. No. I need to see year three.
2. See above.
3. See above.
4. See above.
5. Our "option" would be a guy halfway to free agency who (presumably) hasn't played? The days of QBs learning from the bench for 2-3 years are history. Pass.

No offense, but that would be a waste of resources in the current era of free agency after year 4.

If you aren't sold on Dak by year two you better be urgently looking to add a QB you think might be the answer. If you don't have a QB you aren't going to win anything.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Wait and see. 2 seasons of ups and downs need to be ironed out before we sign him long term. Let the rookie contract play itself out.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is it even in Dak's best interest to sign an extension right now? He knows if he plays well this year, he'll get a big contract.

ksg811

Reaction score
He's not eligible for an extension until after the season, but if I could, I would. I think he's shown enough to be a capable winning QB in the Russel Wilson mold.
Right now? Russel Wilson money, around $22M a year AAV
Pretty Low. I think the book is out on his floor. He'll take care of the ball and can make plays with his legs. the question is how high is his ceiling?
Can't answer that right now. This is an important year for this question to gauge his passing improvement.
No, waste of resources.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Where were you serving time? North Korean gulag?
I was undercover and not doing a very good job of it.
WZTZGrB.gif