What's everyone's take on MM's first year?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Its not excuses, its a good question and reality. We weren't talking about Jerry and 25 years, I asked did that coach's team suffer as many injuries as MM team did this year?
A lot of playoff teams dealt with injuries this year.

The same Browns team just won a playoff game missing several starters on defense. They've been without their top WR all year. They had one game with almost none of their regular WRs.

Great teams overcome adversity.

Poor teams make excuses.

Apologists apologize.

If the Cowboys win next year and can advance to a conference championship game I will admit I was wrong about Coach McCarthy.

If they don't, something tells me you'll find another excuse.

kevm3

Reaction score
Extremely underwhelming.

The offense looked a lot more explosive, but we've seen some flat out awful calls/decisions by McCarthy rivaling some of Garrett's worst blunders. Defensively, much more doesn't need to be said. We've had one of the worst, if not THE worst defense in Cowboys history. At the end, we won pointless games and dropped our draft position, so we don't have any option to draft a QB. Honestly, not really excited about the hire, nor am I excited from what I've seen on gameday.

kskboys

Reaction score
Looked to me as if it was starting to come together.

So far, a solid B.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
decisions by McCarthy rivaling some of Garrett's worst blunders
It was like Bizarro Garrett.

It felt like we were aggressive in situations just for the sake of not being labeled conservative anymore. I haven't broken down the stats or anything, but it felt like we were still very bad on money downs.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not particularly impressed, but also not particularly disappointed. Wished for more, and got less. Willing to go another year.

GINeric

Reaction score
A lot of playoff teams dealt with injuries this year.

The same Browns team just won a playoff game missing several starters on defense. They've been without their top WR all year. They had one game with almost none of their regular WRs.

Great teams overcome adversity.

Poor teams make excuses.

Apologists apologize.

If the Cowboys win next year and can advance to a conference championship game I will admit I was wrong about Coach McCarthy.

If they don't, something tells me you'll find another excuse.

But thats the thing, I never gave an excuse, I gave a valid reason. First of all the Browns did NOT have as many injuries as the Cowboys had so that's a lie. If you're going to lie, atleast tell a lie that can be exposed by checking the injury report.

With that said... I said that MM shouldn't be fully judged on a season without a training camp to implement HIS system and with all the injuries his new team sustained. For that he should be given another chance to be judged. Nobody said he was the second coming of Vince Lombardi.

But stop telling lies lil guy... thats not the way to win a debate like a man.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I gave a valid reason
Uh huh.

Your opinion does not make something valid.

Valid: having a sound basis in fact; legally acceptable or binding
Excuse: attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

First of all the Browns did NOT have as many injuries as the Cowboys had
So it's a quantifiable amount of injuries that excuse poor performance.
So if the Browns had 6 injuries and the Cowboys had 9 would that justify the difference in tangible results? Therefore, it's acceptable that the Cowboys didn't win the worst division in football and not really a big deal that the Browns advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs

Please let us know the exact number of injuries that excuse McCarthy not having enough time in camp versus another first-year coach who found away to get his team to perform. McCarthy was 2-3 with Dak starting, and was 5 points away from being 0-5 with Dak.

The topic was what was your take on his performance. Your take is he should not be judged critically since he didn't have access to his players in camp, and all the injuries. My take was that another head coach, Kevin Stefanski, who by the way has zero head coach experience, somehow found a way to overcome the same handicap of no camp, to get to properly assess his players and teach a new system, and dealt with several injuries, to win twice as many games as McCarthy, including beating him 49-38.

thats not the way to win a debate like a man.
Oh no, you challenged my manhood on an internet forum. Pretty clear you're a tough guy and proven winner of internet debates.

Or you're an apologist with low standards and expectations for your football team.

Tomato, tomaaaato.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
My take on MM first year is a carbon copy of my take of this whole organization. A bunch of flash and no substance. The Jones's...a bunch of flash and no substance. The players ...a bunch of flash and no substance. MM first year...well you get the picture. No substance.

quickccc

Reaction score
I was not impressed with McCarthy. If he continues this way next season, he has to go.

Gotta say per MM's first year, I wasn't impressed at all. He hasn't been near what I envisioned when he was hired.
what does he do that really stands out ?.. or what has he personally brought that adds to the team ?

But I really cannot think of anything else that was added and stood out by McCarthy.
Only kudos I could give to MM is that he retained both Kellen and Nussmeirer and special teams coach Bones Fassell who produced a solid SP unit overall, despite his vest to trick fake punts.
and Joe Philibin did a solid job despite the missing bodies and moving parts in the OL.

- I vastly wanted/hoped MM to be an " Extension " of help to OC Kellen Moore in regards to the RBs in both run and pass game. That didn't happen.
- He displayed very questionable game management and key game changing decisions (fake punts, not challenging trapped pass)
- He introduced and brought the worse DC and worse defense we've probably ever had in Cowboys history.
- in a very weak division that is the worst in NFL, he couldn't pull team together to win division and get into playoffs
- and for those that wanna blame CoVid 19, other NFL teams have had to deal with that crisis as well.

GINeric

Reaction score
Uh huh.

Your opinion does not make something valid.

Valid: having a sound basis in fact; legally acceptable or binding
Excuse: attempt to lessen the blame attaching to (a fault or offense); seek to defend or justify.

So it's a quantifiable amount of injuries that excuse poor performance.
So if the Browns had 6 injuries and the Cowboys had 9 would that justify the difference in tangible results? Therefore, it's acceptable that the Cowboys didn't win the worst division in football and not really a big deal that the Browns advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs

Please let us know the exact number of injuries that excuse McCarthy not having enough time in camp versus another first-year coach who found away to get his team to perform. McCarthy was 2-3 with Dak starting, and was 5 points away from being 0-5 with Dak.

The topic was what was your take on his performance. Your take is he should not be judged critically since he didn't have access to his players in camp, and all the injuries. My take was that another head coach, Kevin Stefanski, who by the way has zero head coach experience, somehow found a way to overcome the same handicap of no camp, to get to properly assess his players and teach a new system, and dealt with several injuries, to win twice as many games as McCarthy, including beating him 49-38.

Oh no, you challenged my manhood on an internet forum. Pretty clear you're a tough guy and proven winner of internet debates.

Or you're an apologist with low standards and expectations for your football team.

Tomato, tomaaaato.

Like I said.... I gave a very valid reason why MM should not be fully held accountable this year. Lastly, let me know when the Browns new coach has not only lost his starting QB, but his starting offensive, most of his offensive line's backups, and let me know when he's trying to coach up 2 or 3 guys called up from their couches who wasn't even DRAFTED out of college before. Need i talk about the key injuries on the defensive side as well.

And no... im not a tough guy, but im well respected for many reasons everywhere i have been. Also... I don't challenge anybody's manhood on internet forums, but if I see a need to do that, I would rather come to that person face to face and challenge their manhood standing right in front of them.

Id rather keep it football, because legal fees have gotten expensive over the years and I hate seeing other families sad and worried.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

As much as I hate giving anyone a pass I would give him one due to Covid and the ridiculous rash of injuries.
:hammer:
I don't challenge anybody's manhood on internet forums, but if I see a need to do that, I would rather come to that person face to face and challenge their manhood standing right in front of them
Would you challenge womanhood? If so, there's a bunch of us in/on here that are definitely available.

morasp

Reaction score
The thing that stuck out to me was how he got them to start playing harder after they had clearly quit that's not easy to do. I expect more of same from Quinn and think that's what Aikman meant when he called him a leader of men. The other thing that really surprised me was how we adjusted the offense and didn't completely collapse with basically third string offensive lineman starting. In the past if we lost one starter we were hurting.