What's the Best WR option in RD 1?

Jeffkills

Reaction score
If somebody falls, who do you guys think would be a total steal at WR in RD 1?

Jeudy, Rugs??

Bandar5656

Reaction score
If somebody falls, who do you guys think would be a total steal at WR in RD 1?

Jeudy, Rugs??
I really don't think the cowboys should even consider drafting a WR , even if the best one is available. Cowboys should draft the best CB available, its a gamble regardless of who you pick at CB, their success depends on many factors (work ethic, commitment, etc etc). Keeping in mind we have two free agent CB's next year who could break out this season and command a huge contract like Byron no pick Jones.

bcavi

Reaction score
Jeudy or Lamb would be steals.

Agreed. I know some posters are so dead set that we need defense here. You should not pass on either of these two if available. No defensive player on the board would be ranked higher. Some may argue Kinlaw, but after all of the drafting reporting regarding his knee, and the lack of the opportunity to conduct physicals and such, this may very well be the scenario, but I'd take these two regardless. We still would have the rest of the rounds for defensive draft selections, and UDFA. It is possible to shore up the D still, even if we draft a WR in the 1st. I know this is a deep class, but they are the alphas

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
You could make a case for any of the three but I’m most intrigued by Ruggs for *this team*. His 4.27 speed in the slot would be a NIGHTMARE for defenses. It changes the entire way teams have to gameplan for you. No way a defensive coordinator feels good about stacking the box to stop Zeke when Ruggs is on the field. It’s almost mandatory that a safety would have to sit over the top on his routes, and that frees up either Cooper or Gallup on the outside against man coverage. And if teams sellout to stop the pass, Zeke & the o-line will dominate games. #TeamBurgers

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The WR class of 2020 is so deep, "the best WR option in rd 1" should not be a concern for the Cowboys. They need to focus on D through to round 3. Maybe round 4 the Cowboys can concern themselves with the best WR option. There will still be a quality WR available then.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really don't think the cowboys should even consider drafting a WR , even if the best one is available. Cowboys should draft the best CB available, its a gamble regardless of who you pick at CB, their success depends on many factors (work ethic, commitment, etc etc). Keeping in mind we have two free agent CB's next year who could break out this season and command a huge contract like Byron no pick Jones.
:welcome:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I would stay with defense. We have plenty of offense and more to come later on in the draft. We need a dominant defense at some point on this Super Bowl run we're trying to obtain.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Dominate front line can make average corners look like good players. Would rather take the top of line WR over corner with Coopers contract setup to easily be dropped after 2nd year. Hes gonna need to play like top 3 WR in league to justify that money and i have high doubts he will do that.

Bandar5656

Reaction score
Dominate front line can make average corners look like good players. Would rather take the top of line WR over corner with Coopers contract setup to easily be dropped after 2nd year. Hes gonna need to play like top 3 WR in league to justify that money and i have high doubts he will do that.
What dominant front line ? The one without a RDE reinstated yet ? I really don't think Poe Mccoy and Smith address our line, one or two injuries and who are you starting ? How good will those CB's look while they are taking some plays off? Our offense is stacked adding a WR that will gain 400 yards and 5 TDs won't guarantee a deep playoff run, a solid defense will. Cowboys should go heavy on defense in this draft and spend more to aquire more depth.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

:facepalm: Brought back memories of Morris Claiborne.

Flamma

Reaction score
Had Dallas taken D.K. Metcalf last year we wouldn't be having this conversation. Even after he fell all the way to us in the 2nd round they still held strong and drafted that marshmallow. For all of the criticism he got, he was still a steal for a late 2nd round pick. Hill was not.

That leads me to this year's draft. I don't believe the Cowboys are putting WR at high priority. They do this a lot. They ignored the position after the 2016 season. Then when dumpster diving didn't work during 2018, they had to find a WR. Then in 2019 with Cooper, Cobb, and a much improved Gallup, we had legit WRs.

Now it looks like we're doing it again. Lost Cobb to FA and it looks like they're ok with that. Was there any interest in Hopkins? His cap hit isn't that bad for the next 3 years. I'm guess Dallas drafts a WR no earlier than round 3.

morasp

Reaction score
I like Ruggs in the first, and I think they've talked to Mims. Reagor in the second would be a steal, Van Jefferson in the third would be nice, KJ Hill in the fourth, and Proche, Lipscomb, Johnson, or Cephus in the fifth.

birdwells1

Reaction score
You could make a case for any of the three but I’m most intrigued by Ruggs for *this team*. His 4.27 speed in the slot would be a NIGHTMARE for defenses. It changes the entire way teams have to gameplan for you. No way a defensive coordinator feels good about stacking the box to stop Zeke when Ruggs is on the field. It’s almost mandatory that a safety would have to sit over the top on his routes, and that frees up either Cooper or Gallup on the outside against man coverage. And if teams sellout to stop the pass, Zeke & the o-line will dominate games. #TeamBurgers
I agree we already have Jeudy and Lamb with Cooper and Gallup, Ruggs brings that different dynamic (4.2 speed) that will positively change the way defenses play against our offense.
That's the dynamic that Hill brings to kc, safeties and corners are so afraid of getting beat deep that they dare not cheat up.