What's the deal with these Overtime rules?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Why doesn't the other team get a chance to possess the ball in OT? TD or not...

The college rules are better. They should adapt some pro variant of the same rules.

Start the pros @ mid field. Both teams get a chance to score. Keep going until the wheels fall off.

Good ol shootout. Why not???

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its how its been. Those rules don't change because everyone want the Chiefs in the playoffs. Everyone wants to change rules when it effects other teams.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It definitely doesn't come down to a coin toss. It's not like you literally flip the coin and win...that offense still has to go and score a TD on the other teams defense. I am in favor of giving both teams a possession even with TD but acting like it's automatically a win if you get the ball first is disingenuous.

conner01

Reaction score
Its how its been. Those rules don't change because everyone want the Chiefs in the playoffs. Everyone wants to change rules when it effects other teams.
I don’t think they want the games to go on and on so they have sudden death
The college system you could have a dozen OT

CPanther95

Reaction score
I was dead set against them messing with the rule to begin with. But if they were going to change it, this half-assed compromise we have now is stupid.

Either go back to the way it was, or give each team a possession.

cowboyec

Reaction score
you've had 4Qtrs to do something about it.
why should everyone get a possession in OT....I like sudden death...1st team that scores wins.
I don't like the regular season rule.....what does it matter if you couldn't stop your opponent from kicking a FG....why should your ineptness be rewarded with a possession because the other team kicked a FG.
sudden death is supposed to be just that..its not supposed to be "fair".....its SUDDEN DEATH.
if you want "fair"....win the game in regulation.

cowboyec

Reaction score
It definitely doesn't come down to a coin toss. It's not like you literally flip the coin and win...that offense still has to go and score a TD on the other teams defense. I am in favor of giving both teams a possession even with TD but acting like it's automatically a win if you get the ball first is disingenuous.
didnt work out for the saints.
they won the toss....and threw a INT.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
After 2 extra quarters, if the game is still tied they should then do like soccer and go to field goals taken by 5 selected players then another 5 if still tied etc..........

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I don’t know about the give each team a possession or college type rules. I don’t think the players would mind going college but the owners wouldn’t like it because it can inflate the stats and have that player come closer to their performance bonuses (if they have any).

IceBowler

Reaction score

I agree with your statement however, just because it's the way it's always been doesn't mean it's the way it should be.
NFL OT is crappy to say the least.

wecasa

Reaction score
the only thing I would like to see is eliminate the sudden death aspect. Play another 15 min qtr. Score as much as you can. If it's tied after 1 ot, go to another. But it would never fly. Player safety and all.

the problem with the college rule is it eliminates the special teams besides Field goals. Shouldn't extra time include all aspects of the game? Offense, defense AND special teams?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
After 2 extra quarters, if the game is still tied they should then do like soccer and go to field goals taken by 5 selected players then another 5 if still tied etc..........
Hahahaha... I can just see it.. Our secret weapon unwrapped in OT... #38

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's fine. People are just now crying because Patriots advanced to the Super Bowl by scoring a TD in overtime.

Kansas City had 3 chances to get the ball back to their offense. They failed. Game over. History.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I don’t know about the give each team a possession or college type rules. I don’t think the players would mind going college but the owners wouldn’t like it because it can inflate the stats and have that player come closer to their performance bonuses (if they have any).
Who cares what the owners think?