What's the deal with these Overtime rules?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
The rules aren’t particularly fair but the truth is they are just trying to get the game over with (supposedly in the name of safety, this also applies to shortening it down to 10 minutes). Touchdown wins the game prevents the endless back and forth of the college game.
The truth is that once the game goes to overtime it really is a bad situation because you get away from the essence of football. I guess it could be worse, they could do the football equivalent of hockey which would be Mahomes and Brady throwing a football through a tire at midfield...

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the teams have to play to win, not play to tie. you play to tie, you take your chance on a coin. thats it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree with your statement however, just because it's the way it's always been doesn't mean it's the way it should be.
NFL OT is crappy to say the least.
Yeah but its been crappy. And nobody cared before. They only care when its their team or when their darlings don't win. This rule has been in place and has been long overdue for a change. If you haven't changed it to this point don't change it now is all I'm saying. Its just fake outrage from fans. The NFL can't succumb to the fake outrage every time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Unless you're the first team, then your defense is exempt from the burden the other team faced.

The rules have always been illogical.

I'm talking about before we even got to overtime. The Saints let the Rams march down the field on them to even get it to OT to begin with.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The OT still gives the opposing team a chance to get their offense on the field - it's just up to the defense to make that happen. You keep them from scoring or kicking a FG and your offense gets a chance to tie it or win/lose it.

I'm not sure where it's "unfair" here. This isn't the first quarter of football, it's OT - you had 4 quarters to not allow a tie, once OT starts, it's all about getting the game over with at that point.

You don't hear this talk from winners.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That argument? Come on,the way the league is set up now it’s not fair for a defense. They should do the right thing here,and give each team a possession.

Its not fair to the defense? They literally allowed the Rams to go helmet to helmet and pass interference a guy and didn't call it. I get what you're saying. But that doesn't excuse them for allowing them to go up and down the field on them. Mind you the Saints defense wasn't terrible that game. Just terrible when it mattered.

CPanther95

Reaction score
The OT still gives the opposing team a chance to get their offense on the field - it's just up to the defense to make that happen. You keep them from scoring or kicking a FG and your offense gets a chance to tie it or win/lose it.

The old rules accomplished that. What was the point to changing the rules to what we have now?

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Its not fair to the defense? They literally allowed the Rams to go helmet to helmet and pass interference a guy and didn't call it. I get what you're saying. But that doesn't excuse them for allowing them to go up and down the field on them. Mind you the Saints defense wasn't terrible that game. Just terrible when it mattered.
Are you seriously going to make me justify this is a league geared towards offense? Guess who was laughing about the coin toss? Brady in the post game,when congratulating the player who called it. They knew whoever got that toss is winning.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Are you seriously going to make me justify this is a league geared towards offense? Guess who was laughing about the coin toss? Brady in the post game,when congratulating the player who called it. They knew whoever got that toss is winning.
That's becausehe's Brady and they are the Pats lol. If Dee Ford isn't offsides....they get a pick and turnover on downs with great field position. But that gets lost in this discussion for some reason. Easier to blame the refs than it is their own team.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Overtime in the NFL is for Big Boys. You want the ball, stop the other team. Be happy that a field goal extends the game. Not a big fan of the "but it's not fair" argument.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Everyone complained when you could win in OT with just a FG, then they changed it & now even that's not good enough? I mean, at some point a Defense has to get a stop. The OT rules are fine the way they are.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I'm fine with the format now, defense is part of the game. Rams defense stepped up, the Chiefs defense should have stepped up too.

JustChip

Reaction score
I readily admit I’m a traditionalist, but I HATE the college OT process. It’s not the scenario the rest of the game is played under. I’d be ok with a modification of the NFL rules that each team had at least 1 possession.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Satisfying fans crying that their defenses couldn't keep the opposing offense out of field goal range?

Personally, instead of OT, I'd rather award the win to the team that had the most roughing the passer penalties in regulation :)

Flamma

Reaction score
In football it's hard to be fair in overtime without a gimmick. The only way to be fair is to play an extra quarter, but what if that's tied?

Even the OT rules now are more complicated than they have to be. It should just be first team to 7 points. If the quarter ends 3-0, that team wins.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It needs to be changed. Just because it's always been a certain way doesn't mean it's right. Out of all the major sports, this is the one OT that doesn't make any sense. Imagine if the NBA came down to teams flipping a coin for the first possession and then if the team that gets possession hits a 3, the game is over. All the other sports let you play BOTH offense and defense

If you want it to be like how it is for the regular season and first rounds of the playoffs then fine but the conference championship games and Super Bowl need to be changed. The biggest reason why they wanted it to be as close to sudden death as possible is because playing a full 10+ minute period is too physically demanding. But with the bye week next week (and in the Super Bowl, no game next week), it makes more sense to give both teams a fair chance to play however long possible to determine a winner