What's the deal with Tyrone Crawford

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Like many, I just don't get the deal with Tyrone Crawford:

-We thought that Marinelli loved Crawford, but it appears the front office is very high on the player.

-Coming off of double hip surgery, team could of release him for big savings or ask him to take a pay cut. Neither happened.

-He offers very little as a pass rusher, more of a run stuffing base DE. Some of his positives, has position flex and is considered one of the leaders in the locker room.

-It appears he is the leading candidate to start at Defensive End.

-Perhaps they like his positional flex implementing a defense that will have multiple fronts.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen received criticism for his contract.

Jerry and Stephen like him a lot personally.

Jerry and Stephen want to be proven right about him.

See also:
Jason Garrett
Rod Marinelli
Jeff Heath
Anthony Brown
Blake Jarwin

quickccc

Reaction score
i would normally say it is probably for the same reason why they loved and stuck with Rod Marinelli,... for the same reason why they loved jason garrett
and stuck with him.
Built in Sentimental Loyalty within the organization to stay with a certain coach or player longer than what they should have been.

But that said, how do we know the new coaching regime were not in on bringing back Crawford as well ?
How do we know that when team evaluations and future plans went down when the coaching change took over
with McCarthy, Nolan and Tomsula putting in their 2 cents on keeping Crawford ?

Is there something about Tyrone's leadership, experience, versatility and skill set that is favored more than how the anti-Crawford crowd sees it ?
i tend to wonder about that now.

:(

817Gill

Reaction score
It’s not our money lol why do people care? Obviously if the front office wants to make a move for someone else he is going to be one of the easiest contracts to dispose of. No matter how much we want Griffin or Clowney, the FO seems to have little or no interest.

It seems pretty clear that the heavy lifting of this offseason’s personnel acquisition is done. The team didn’t need to cut TCraw’s contract down so they didn’t. If they genuinely like him as a guy, why would they ask him to take a pay cut without needing the space? Just to see more cap room on Spotrac?

I’m not saying dudes a beast or anything but if they didn’t need the cap room then they weren’t going to ask him to take less. Why it bugs us makes no sense, we act as if we are actively pursuing multiple players and are coming up short with the funds needed to sign them. Paying Dak increases our cap room, so he doesn’t count.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

-We thought that Marinelli loved Crawford, but it appears the front office is very high on the player.

-Coming off of double hip surgery, team could of release him for big savings or ask him to take a pay cut. Neither happened.

-He offers very little as a pass rusher, more of a run stuffing base DE. Some of his positives, has position flex and is considered one of the leaders in the locker room.

-Perhaps they like his positional flex implementing a defense that will have multiple fronts.
Somewhere there is a convoluted story.

When he was signed, we were reeling from Gregory's suspension and then Tank's 4 game suspension starting his 2nd year. The year before Tank was hurt playing very little as I recall.

It's either grounded in lost opportunities by the player, the coaches, the owner or the way the contract has been structured or there is a clause of a poison pill in it somehow.

I have no clue which it is.

And nobody is touching it so far.

I can understand not cutting him as the Union would scream 'foul' since you have to wait for his recovery first or I think his entire charge to the cap happens.

If this is happening, this is probably his last go round.

He has some value to rework his deal if the money is needed to sign some body they want.

Until then, and when coupled with our cap addition next year with Beard's deal being returned..

the team is just as well off getting whatever they can from him now.

That is what I guess. Somewhere is the answer. Much adieu about nothing as always.

:huh:

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
42mrxt

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You don’t gain future cap space by cutting him at this point and he’s a versatile chess piece that can be moved across that entire DL.
I think so.

And we have trouble keeping DL on the field anyway.

Tank was dinged, Woods was, Hill was a no show, Quinn was fine but he is gone.

So they need him really even with the draft and FA signings.

Those big dogs have to be rotated to be effective.

Wish we would rotate the OL more the same way. The offense would be more effective.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry and Stephen received criticism for his contract.

Jerry and Stephen like him a lot personally.

Jerry and Stephen want to be proven right about him.

See also:
Jason Garrett
Rod Marinelli
Jeff Heath
Anthony Brown
Blake Jarwin
This is one of many reasons why we should not have the owner and his kids be involved in personnel. Jerry too often still treats this team like his billion dollar fantasy football team. If he personally likes someone, he keeps them around regardless of what’s really best for the team.

We still see a lot of threads these days about Jason Garrett as THE reason we didn’t win many playoff games the last decade. Sure Garrett sucked but the stubborn, arrogant and unaccountable to anyone Owner/GM who hired Garrett and kept him employed for a decade is way more responsible for this team’s problems..past, present and future, as long as he keeps doing things the Jerry-way.

cern

Reaction score

Perhaps they're waiting to declare him a june 1 cut. I sure hope so.