What's the deal with Tyrone Crawford

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More of a being forced to play him at RDE due to extremely poor personnel mgmt.

Crawford's best position in a Marinelli style defense would have been as the LDE (Strong Side DE).

Most teams with that style of defense that have a Star High Paid passer rusher, have that player at Weak Side DE.

DLaw's style is much better suited to play Strong Side DE; therefore, Crawford had to play Weak Side DE.

Note:
In the Marinelli style defense the LDE is considered the Strong Side DE regardless of where the TE aligns.
- It's based on the alignment of the DEs and the technique that they play, not on the Offensive Strong Side.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Of course we could upgrade. Just get out the checkbook. Until then, people need to accept the fact that the guy can play, and he’s sticking around.

He has the 8th highest cap hit on the team this year. They would save 8m by cutting him. They could get a hell of a replacement for 8 million.

Seems like a no brainer to get rid of him, considering he's only started 16 games once in his career, has been mostly a part time player, and is coming off major hip surgery.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they were going to cut his contract, it would of already occurred. I really think they don't want to make waves cause he has the same agent as Dak Prescott and would affect their contract discussions with him. Sean Lee was forced to take a cut two years ago, but yet Crawford still gets full salary, something isn't right.

Yes, the team can wait if they wanted to him to take a pay cut.

A team needs to be in a position where they're OK with cutting a player if the player does not take a pay cut; otherwise they have not leverage.
- Considering they have no other experienced starter other than a player that has been out of football for 4 years, they need Crawford at this point.
- If Gregory gets reinstated and if a young player like Anae really shows up in camp, then they can decide to offer Crawford a pay cut or they can cut him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, the team can wait if they wanted to him to take a pay cut.

A team needs to be in a position where they're OK with cutting a player if the player does not take a pay cut; otherwise they have not leverage.
- Considering they have no other experienced starter other than a player that has been out of football for 4 years, they need Crawford at this point.
- If Gregory gets reinstated and if a young player like Anae really shows up in camp, then they can decide to offer Crawford a pay cut or they can cut him.

So you believe it's something that still can take place prior to the season?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Crawford's been a tweener his whole career. Yep, he's overpaid but the old staff long valued its flex guys. I'm wondering if this one will. o_O

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would much rather give all of 3Tech snaps to Gerald McCoy and Neville Galimore and all of his Right End snaps to Aldon Smith, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Bradlee Anae, Jalen Jelks, @xwalker, Jerry Jones, etc.

He has zero business playing RDE for a serious football team.

This is all ego by the Jones Boys and fans here wanting to validate their world view that Jerry and Stephen are competent football evaluators.

With his salary, age, and injury history, 31 other NFL teams are cutting him or asking him to take a pay cut.

Gregory is still suspended.

Aldon Smith has been out of football for 4 years.

Armstrong is probably "just a guy".

Anae is a rookie.

Jelks was actually best in college as a pass rushing DT but does not really have the build to do that in the NFL.

They need to go to camp and see how things work out.

If they can find 3 players better than Crawford, then they should just cut him and move on.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you believe it's something that still can take place prior to the season?
It's not uncommon that near the cut to 53 date that teams to offer a veteran the option that they'll have to cut him unless he takes a pay cut.

There are 2 key dates in regards to this issue:
1. The date that the team is going to allow the player to practice.
2. The cut to 53 date.

If they think it's a strong possibility that they might cut the player unless he takes a pay cut, then it would be best to do it before the player starts practicing, especially a player returning from surgery.
- If they player gets re-injured, then they'll owe him the amount equal to his projected numbers of games missed.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It's not uncommon that near the cut to 53 date that teams to offer a veteran the option that they'll have to cut him unless he takes a pay cut.

2. The cut to 53 date.

If they think it's a strong possibility that they might cut the player unless he takes a pay cut, then it would be best to do it before the player starts practicing, especially a player returning from surgery.
- If they player gets re-injured, then they'll owe him the amount equal to his projected numbers of games missed.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Crawford's best position in a Marinelli style defense would have been as the LDE (Strong Side DE).

Most teams with that style of defense that have a Star High Paid passer rusher, have that player at Weak Side DE.

DLaw's style is much better suited to play Strong Side DE; therefore, Crawford had to play Weak Side DE.

Note:
In the Marinelli style defense the LDE is considered the Strong Side DE regardless of where the TE aligns.
- It's based on the alignment of the DEs and the technique that they play, not on the Offensive Strong Side.
I think he's better at 3 tech DT.

kskboys

Reaction score

2. The cut to 53 date.

I'd like to see Craws sign an extension for around 2-3 mil/season.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Gregory is still suspended.

Aldon Smith has been out of football for 4 years.

Armstrong is probably "just a guy".

Anae is a rookie.

Jelks was actually best in college as a pass rushing DT but does not really have the build to do that in the NFL.

They need to go to camp and see how things work out.

If they can find 3 players better than Crawford, then they should just cut him and move on.

I don't disagree but a huge part of talent evaluation and roster building is projection. A bigger part of roster management is maximizing cap room and there are players available now that would increase this team's chances of winning. Keeping Crawford (at his current contract) is purely ego.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No we dont like him because he is rotational dl piece at best and is playing out of position

Ah! And all the defensive coaches have just had his position and ability wrong all this time.

I’d forgotten the real reason, so thanks for reminding me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If they were going to cut his contract, it would of already occurred. I really think they don't want to make waves cause he has the same agent as Dak Prescott and would affect their contract discussions with him. Sean Lee was forced to take a cut two years ago, but yet Crawford still gets full salary, something isn't right.

There is self-interested little reason to cut a player now unless they need the cap. Why give up rights they don't have to when it costs them nothing to keep them until the start of the season? It would be a *favor* to Crawford to give up the team's rights to him now.

Since Crawford has already said he'll take a pay cut, *and* one makes sense, I expect he will take the cut if healthy enough to play. I heard recently that he says he feels great, so he's at least putting on a face of being healthy. We'll see.

I think Lee had similarly said he'd be willing to take a pay cut before it was "offered". I don't think either were "forced" into it, any more than anyone else asking for market value for their services are "forced". Teams can cut players w/o guaranteed money. That's how the league works. If you want to stay on the team, your contract needs to be priced to the value you offer. And his agent knows that better than anyone. Everyone knows the score, and they likely offer it up front to smooth the skids to the inevitable for everyone.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He's a below average player but the dl is still meh so I see no point in releasing him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you mean the ones who just got fired?

I meant all of his coaches, from 2012 to the present.

Not to be confused with “some guys on the internet who think they know better.” Though, I admit, it’s a fine line.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Like many, I just don't get the deal with Tyrone Crawford:

-We thought that Marinelli loved Crawford, but it appears the front office is very high on the player.

-Coming off of double hip surgery, team could of release him for big savings or ask him to take a pay cut. Neither happened.

-He offers very little as a pass rusher, more of a run stuffing base DE. Some of his positives, has position flex and is considered one of the leaders in the locker room.

-It appears he is the leading candidate to start at Defensive End.

-Perhaps they like his positional flex implementing a defense that will have multiple fronts.
The only way he’ll get a sack is if the opposing team forgets to start a LT. He TOTALLY SUCKS at DE.