What's the obsession with Dak Prescott's contract?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I see multiple new threads everyday about the same subject matter-Dak Prescott's contract. The National media seem as obsessed as many on this board. There isn't much to debate:

-Ownership has come out and stated Dak Prescott is their franchise QB. He is under contract, team wants to sign him long-term and will not rescind the offer sheet under any circumstance.

-The likes of Goff/Wentz in his QB Class signed long-term extensions. Dak has arguable been as good if not better then the both of them. He will sign a market level contract. Many fans forget the post Aikman years at the position. It's quite comical that many have suggested they rather have Andy Dalton as the team's starting QB.

-Dak team's have accomplished the same level as did Romo, divisional rd of the playoffs. Both QB's have played on talented teams, but haven't been able to breakthrough. Perhaps having an average Head Coach has played a role in their lack of success.
No obsession's.

If you heard on the news the bank where you bank was being robbed of $50 million down the street..you might go watch.

That's all.

Your beloved team is being highjacked in broad daylight..

Didn't you just deposit your Government Incentive check this morning?

Too late.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I see multiple new threads everyday about the same subject matter-Dak Prescott's contract. The National media seem as obsessed as many on this board. There isn't much to debate:

-Ownership has come out and stated Dak Prescott is their franchise QB. He is under contract, team wants to sign him long-term and will not rescind the offer sheet under any circumstance.

-The likes of Goff/Wentz in his QB Class signed long-term extensions. Dak has arguable been as good if not better then the both of them. He will sign a market level contract. Many fans forget the post Aikman years at the position. It's quite comical that many have suggested they rather have Andy Dalton as the team's starting QB.

-Dak team's have accomplished the same level as did Romo, divisional rd of the playoffs. Both QB's have played on talented teams, but haven't been able to breakthrough. Perhaps having an average Head Coach has played a role in their lack of success.

What's the obsession?

No live sports to follow (unless you're into Korean baseball or German soccer), negotiations going on for months, and the most important position in football.

But yeah, some of the takes on it are hilarious.

kskboys

Reaction score
Enlighten us...what is the issue? You dont like him, he wants too much, he's not good enough? What can you control that we can't?
Not about control at all. It's about fitting a super bowl contender under the salary cap. That's it. No innuendos, no inner hate, nothing like that. (Aside from a few Pappy's, but those are the tiny minority.)

Reid1boys

Reaction score

What else is there to talk about right now? The new cleaning solution they are using to clean the toilets in Jerry's office? Nothing is happening... so here it is. Dak's contract.

Aven8

Reaction score
If Dak signs for 35 million per year or whatever, if he wins us a SB none of that will matter anymore. Even if he goes downhill etc. Just one baby.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Idiots worrying about another man's money. We have a lot more important things to worry about right now, but some choose to worry about something that they can't control! Makes me laugh!

So i see you have 61k posts on this site. And Im assuming all of them are over things you have some control over? Im sure youve discussed the coahcing situation. You have control over that? You have any control over who we draft? cmon.. this is a fan forum. We discuss things, and if it relates to the Cowboys, the ONLY THING we have control over is whether or not we watch the games.

Nobody cares about how much Dak makes in regards to Dak, we care ONLY because it impacts the team's cap situation. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

kskboys

Reaction score
So i see you have 61k posts on this site. And Im assuming all of them are over things you have some control over? Im sure youve discussed the coahcing situation. You have control over that? You have any control over who we draft? cmon.. this is a fan forum. We discuss things, and if it relates to the Cowboys, the ONLY THING we have control over is whether or not we watch the games.

Nobody cares about how much Dak makes in regards to Dak, we care ONLY because it impacts the team's cap situation. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Yup.

I mean, there's a few people on either side of the spectrum to whom this seems personal, but that is a tiny tiny minority.

kskboys

Reaction score
Justify? Do you actualy think I need to justify why I dont want Dak signed to a huge contract? I dont hate Dak. He is a pretty good QB. Im perfectly fine having him behind center. Would I prefer to have a young Drew Brees, or Tom Brady..... sure I would. But we dont have that. We have a QB that CAN lead us to a SB if things go well and we continue to have talent around him.

BUt if I continue to bash Dak... I damn sure dont need to justify it, anymore than the Dak lovers get on here and justify why he is so great.
Plus, as a fan of the team, the cap angle is everything in this case. It's not being used to justify the argument, it is the argument.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There are a lot of flat-out losers who can’t stand to see Dak succeed. They’ve decided they don’t like the guy and that’s that.

These are people who lead terrible, depressing lives who would rather wallow in their misery.

They know who they are. Dak owns them. They’re inferior little runts in the game of life.
:laugh:

This is such crap. People that actually frequent this forum, care a lot about this team. 99.9999% of them(maybe not diehard blues) would celebrate and Love OJ Simpson r Charles Manson if he led the Cowboys to a Super Bowl title. Like if Dak throws an interception I somehow sleep better so I can say.."See, he sucks!" uhm.... nah not it .

kskboys

Reaction score
What else is there to talk about right now? The new cleaning solution they are using to clean the toilets in Jerry's office? Nothing is happening... so here it is. Dak's contract.
I've had contact w/ so much cleaning fluid that when I P it cleans the toilet.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
tin foil hat buddy.

Sports fans dont give a lick about what you are thinking about. You think there would be hate for Doug Williams after he wona sb for the Cowboys? You think there would be hate for Mahomes on this team? cmon now....take a few more shots and come to your senses. Or, just take a few more shots..lol

You know, it's also pretty funny to me he implied that.....when Dak Prescott said we need to move beyond that topic the side Hennessy_King is on were calling him disgusting names on Twitter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Are you claiming that Dak's performance last year has proved that he is elite and not average?

His play his first 4 years and definitely his play last year proved he is top 10 and better than average for sure.

Elite he is not there yet.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What has he done besides put up personal stats? What has he done to be considered a Top 5 QB to earn a huge contract? The answer: not a damn thing.

He is not a top 5 QB. 6-10 definitely. QB's in that range just get big money. That's the way it works. I don't think any or actually worth it. But you would be a complete moron to finally get a top 10 QB then let him walk. Within 2 to 3 years half the league will be paying their QB 30 million or more and the other half will be wishing they were.

Hardline

Reaction score
First off, the big issue is that total player salary is fixed. Every dollar one player gets is less money for others. This year we have watched Quinn and Jones walk just so we could pay Dak, Zeke, Tank and Cooper.

So let's start with your examples. How well did Dallas do once Romo got his big contract? People tend to forget that the first 3 years of Dak's career had Romo's dead contract on it. Romo never won anything because the D sucked when he was here but his contract played a part in that. Will the Eagles ever win anything with Wentz making that much? Will the Rams ever sniff another deep playoff run with Goff making that much money?

At the end of the day, having your QB on a bargain contract is a huge advantage. While its possible to do well with a QB on a big contract, its really hard and you need that guy playing like a superstar. Even then, those superstar QB's tend to get beat by some hot QB on his rookie deal surrounded by a lot of talent.

Dak getting a huge contract makes it harder for Dallas to be a great team. Its that simple.

What's the alternative? Well, Andy Dalton now. Which team is better? Dalton + 2 pro bowl defensive players or Dak + 2 vet min players?
This post nails it.

kskboys

Reaction score
First off, the big issue is that total player salary is fixed. Every dollar one player gets is less money for others. This year we have watched Quinn and Jones walk just so we could pay Dak, Zeke, Tank and Cooper.

So let's start with your examples. How well did Dallas do once Romo got his big contract? People tend to forget that the first 3 years of Dak's career had Romo's dead contract on it. Romo never won anything because the D sucked when he was here but his contract played a part in that. Will the Eagles ever win anything with Wentz making that much? Will the Rams ever sniff another deep playoff run with Goff making that much money?

At the end of the day, having your QB on a bargain contract is a huge advantage. While its possible to do well with a QB on a big contract, its really hard and you need that guy playing like a superstar. Even then, those superstar QB's tend to get beat by some hot QB on his rookie deal surrounded by a lot of talent.

Dak getting a huge contract makes it harder for Dallas to be a great team. Its that simple.

What's the alternative? Well, Andy Dalton now. Which team is better? Dalton + 2 pro bowl defensive players or Dak + 2 vet min players?
The Rams are falling apart after doling out those huge contracts, and I would imagine they just took a big hit when they cut Gurley after overpaying him. I know they were forced to let Saffold walk, who is one of the best interior run blockers in the NFL. Didn't they just let Brockers walk also? Another key player gone.

Overpaying any player will cost you.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goff went to a Super Bowl and Wentz set up the team for their Super Bowl run so tell me how Dak and his 1-2 career playoff record is better than Goff and Wentz? He's not.

You ever hear of coaching?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rams are falling apart after doling out those huge contracts, and I would imagine they just took a big hit when they cut Gurley after overpaying him. I know they were forced to let Saffold walk, who is one of the best interior run blockers in the NFL. Didn't they just let Brockers walk also? Another key player gone.

Good thing Dallas has not overpaid anyone then. :laugh:

How do you know those players weren't allowed to walk or were released for other reasons.
After all, Dallas let Byron Jones walk. Was it for money, he didn't play as they wanted him as to getting interceptions. Combination of both. Teams can't keep every good player. Dallas has managed the cap fairly well the past 3 or 4 years bye not handing out ridiculous contracts.

CapnB

Reaction score

Let Brockers walk but deal fell through in Balt then he came back to the rams on their new deal.