What's the real plan?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I read and contemplate..you?

I want to believe we will pull this season out with all this scrambling.

But we are rapidly running out of picks in 2020 to fix ALL of this.

Signings like Aldon Smith and re-instating Gregory are just wild cards to me.

Unless we trade out of 17 and start dropping back and get MORE picks.

I ask this becuz it becomes obvious to me..

we have too many holes and not enough pieces to fill those holes to allow us to win this year.

The loss of Beard just sealed the deal for me about 2020.

And I mean winning a title..not just be the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Which I am game for as we are not winning anything this year anyway.

In fact..we need a worst than 8-8 season again this year to add .more draft picks and higher ones again.

When we lost in 2015 it netted Zeke and Dak in 2016. We have ridden that for 4 years now.

Time to resupply..

Is the McCarthy braintrust actually planning this now?

One would think maybe yes.

But I am not sure.

Signings like Aldon Smith, the returns of Gregory and others just signal a temporary emergency rebuild while we really plan on drafting more permanent replacements?

What are you guys thinking and seeing and anticipating?

Comments?

:huh:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Signings like Aldon Smith, the returns of Gregory and others just signal a temporary emergency rebuild while we really plan on drafting more permanent replacements? <<<<bingo. THATS IT. It seems to be obvious.

Rayman70

Reaction score
@Redball Express YOU NAILED IT, we are in what appears to be a rebuild on defense. Question is, whats next..or WHO'S next to be gone? Is Xavier Woods a trade piece? If you think about it, it looks likely. We signed Dix, and if we draft a safety too in rounds 1-3..then that might be telling. OR if we trade for a guy like Adams. I hear that is on the table if the Jets' asking price comes down.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Signings like Aldon Smith, the returns of Gregory and others just signal a temporary emergency rebuild while we really plan on drafting more permanent replacements? <<<<bingo. THATS IT. It seems to be obvious.
Yeah..

But you know and I know..

If we win 3 or 4 games initially..

Jerrah will be unfurling the battle flags and screaming "we can do this".

No?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
@Redball Express YOU NAILED IT, we are in what appears to be a rebuild on defense. Question is, whats next..or WHO'S next to be gone? Is Xavier Woods a trade piece? If you think about it, it looks likely. We signed Dix, and if we draft a safety too in rounds 1-3..then that might be telling. OR if we trade for a guy like Adams. I hear that is on the table if the Jets' asking price comes down.
I agree.

Let's see what the usual suspects say here.

Should be a real brawl.

:oldcouple:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The plan is to cobble together a team and hope that McCarthy can do a whole lot more with it than Garrett could. In general, Dallas has to hope to get some good bargain free agents AND do well in the draft AND have McCarthy do well in order to win. Its entirely possible but not easy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup.

Jerry would never utter the words, but this is a rebuild. Wouldn't be surprised to see another 8-8 season. It will most likely take a couple years, and that's if we start drafting wisely and hit on some mid/late rounders, something we haven't done in a while.

Edit: Woods and Brown, so I can't say not at all. Hopefully we get some useful play out of Wilson and Jelks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

we have too many holes and not enough pieces to fill those holes to allow us to win this year.

In fact..we need a worst than 8-8 season again this year to add .more draft picks and higher ones again.

When we lost in 2015 it netted Zeke and Dak in 2016. We have ridden that for 4 years now.

Time to resupply..

But I am not sure.

Signings like Aldon Smith, the returns of Gregory and others just signal a temporary emergency rebuild while we really plan on drafting more permanent replacements?

Comments?

I don't think we have that many holes. Dallas was an odds on favorite heading into last season and we have retained some key position, beefed up the Dline and upgraded safety. Are there holes? not really much more than any other team. I expect Dallas to live up to their ability under this new staff.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't think we have that many holes. Dallas was an odds on favorite heading into last season and we have retained some key position, beefed up the Dline and upgraded safety. Are there holes? not really much more than any other team. I expect Dallas to live up to their ability under this new staff.
Hopefully.

Following this team is like reading tea leaves.

Nothing is ever definite and always open to interpretation.

:flagwave:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hopefully.

Following this team is like reading tea leaves.

Nothing is ever definite and always open to interpretation.

:flagwave:

I agree there are no guarantee’s but that is the beauty of sports nothing is a given there is no set script. Teams must go out and play to win. I do think Cowboys will pick up some quality players in the draft and I think we have some quality players in house. I don’t deny there are so called holes, but you will not have studs at every position, but I do think we have some very good talent at some key spots. In the end it will fall to the staff to take all the parts and have them play as 1 team all working for the same goals. I can’t sit here and say we are SB bound but I feel confident that we can be one of the teams who is in the thick of the race to the SB

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real plan is to get the best players, and use their abilities to form a game plan. Then win, simply win.

there is no rebuild for a certain year to win it all. It is to be competitive now, and if things fall right as they do for all teams, win it all now, and win it again next year. And so on.

it is just now, with a real coaching staff it is more feasible. I think with everything being new, it may have some on edge as to having success right away. It is not like MM is starting with an empty cart.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Jets ain't coming down because they know old jerrah will cave soon.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Time to resupply..

But I am not sure.

Comments?

You just sound like a panicked fan rather than a calm and rational thinker who understands the reality of the situation is never quite as dire nor copesetic as we may perceive them to be. Chill and enjoy the draft and then pray the 2020 season happens at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Time to resupply..

But I am not sure.

Comments?

why do we have to fix all of it?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We are 100% not in a rebuild mode. Dolphins are in rebuild. We are filling holes while rebuilding parts of the defense.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Oh no no no no - you can't be a positive fan around here!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Time to resupply..

But I am not sure.

Comments?

The REAL plan is to fill the major holes with quality, veteran, 2nd tier FA's until we can fill them in the draft.