What's this offense going to be like?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
An offense that dominated lesser opponents and struggled scoring against winning teams.

Jipper

Reaction score
I just want to see a massive improvement in red zone efficiency..... do that and we are instantly a 11 win team vs last year

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I can't wait to have some flexibility in the slot. This WR tandem gives us endless opportunities.

Gotta get Pollard going too.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hear conflicting comments. McCarthy has said he has much to learn about this offense.And Dak has recently said we didn’t communicate well.

Jerry insisted on retaining Moore after we had the #1 offense in NFL. I thought McCarthy was going to instill his schemes? Sounds like it’s going to be the same as last year.

IMO people put too much weight on that #1 offense statistic. When you go 8-8 it puts everything you've done into question. Same goes for the 27 PPG average. Another misleading statistic making the offense look better than it was. Had the Cowboys actually scored 27 points per game they would have been 12-4 or 13-3.

But I still remain optimistic for this upcoming season due to the coaching change, draft, and other minor details.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I hear conflicting comments. McCarthy has said he has much to learn about this offense.And Dak has recently said we didn’t communicate well.

Jerry insisted on retaining Moore after we had the #1 offense in NFL. I thought McCarthy was going to instill his schemes? Sounds like it’s going to be the same as last year.
It seems like he said there isnt time to change the offense much, so it will be mostly the same , with some tweaks.
We can hope that maybe this is disinformation to fool teams we face early lol.
Really we just have to wait and see .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't watch much football outside of Cowboys games. Yes i remember GB's style somewhat, mostly i remember AR rolling out or moving around and throwing passes on the money. I'm not expecting Dak to be AR, but for those of you who know about the coaching staff and player traits/skills, what are you expecting from this offense?

I like a offense that will throw downfield 20 plus yards if it's 2nd and 2 or 3. I also like striking when the iron is hot by going downfield right after a turnover etc. Will we see any of that?

My guess would be a step forward in the passing game with a step back in the running game.

Here's why:
  1. The weapons that this team will have in the passing game are among the best in the league.
  2. McCarthy's area of expertise is working with quarterbacks and the passing game
  3. New offensive line coach Joe Philbin's units did not have impressive running game rankings when I looked into it.
  4. Kellen Moore strikes me as a coordinator more pass-focused than run-focused.
  5. If, as expected the team goes with a combination of Williams at left guard and Looney at center, they will struggle to run the ball due to an overall lack of power inside.
McCarthy is a West Coast offense kind of guy, where quick, short passing takes the place of the running game to some degree. I expect to see a focus on more short, crossing routes than we have for years. Not a complete overhaul of what was a largely successful offense in 2019, but some noticeable tweaks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see a lot of change in the offensive strategy even though McC isn't known as a run game guy but he has used his backs well when he's had them and even converted a WR to RB.

I think the main improvement they're after is scoring TD's when the opportunity is there. They were the #1 O between the 20's but they had to make long drives and when they got inside the opponents 20, they seem to freeze up and get overly cautious. They only halfway fix that and this O will be able to go up against any team.

I think this offense will respond because I think the real problem that this team had last season has been at least temporarily fixed, lack of confidence in coaching. When a team senses their HC is trying not to lose, that affects everything about a team but particularly in crunch time. This was not a team that exhibited that confidence of a team that knows their HC has their back, he'll go to the wall for them. A good HC must believe in his team in order for them to believe in him.

I think we really don't know about this Mike McCarthy. Man gets fired and watches his successor succeed in his first year with his team has some scores to settle within himself. The rumors are there about the rift between him and the high risk QB that could put his team on his back with his arm. That is not this QB, he's not that accurate, I've never seen a QB as accurate as Rodgers. You have a weapon like that, you call the game a little differently.

One thing I really like about McC and the main reason I wanted him, he knows how to use his weapons and other than QB, he's never had any team this loaded with them. His job is to keep everybody happy by keeping them involved.

The other element to this is Kellen Moore. If you watched him at Boise State, particularly his last season when Peterson was letting him be the on the field OC, he's aggressive and is a down the field kind of guy. If McC turns him loose, this could really be fun to watch because Moore is not a protect the D play caller, his strategy is to take the other O out of their game. If you recall, that was our 2014 team and why they led the league in turnover margin and were 2nd in picks. They pressured the other team to make tactical changes in their offense and heighten the risk factor.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just want to see a massive improvement in red zone efficiency..... do that and we are instantly a 11 win team vs last year

I hope so, but a big part of the reason why they struggled so badly in 2018 was because they had Williams and Looney inside. Both are the presumptive starters again for 2020.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like he said there isnt time to change the offense much, so it will be mostly the same , with some tweaks.
We can hope that maybe this is disinformation to fool teams we face early lol.
Really we just have to wait and see .

I'm hoping to see a combination of concepts from both the former offense as well as McCarthy's West Coast principles. If they can somehow manage to merge both into a single offense, they can truly be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

I will settle for actually seeing some quick passes rather than the stale, old, slow-developing straight-down-the-field stuff they ran for years under Garrett.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Our '19 Boys ranked 1st in total offense & 6ixth in scoring. And honestly? You ain't seen nothing yet! Dallas' offensive numbers are about to explode. MM is a terrific HC & a major upgrade over Garrett.

The Boys' WR trio is eye popping. Coop & Gallup each eclipsed 1,100 yards last season. And then there's Lamb. He'll be an instant star. In fact, I think he'll be the best receiver on the team this season. Yes, he's that big a talent, an absolute killer in big spots.

This may actually be the best offenses Dallas has ever had in franchise history.

Jipper

Reaction score
I hope so, but a big part of the reason why they struggled so badly in 2018 was because they had Williams and Looney inside. Both are the presumptive starters again for 2020.

I have big hope for Connor...if he has put on some strength he could take a big jump....but you are spot on about our line having some question marks.

best thing we can hope for is that these guys gel together enough to keep us competitive for the first quarter of the season, after that we should know what we have.

we have to find a way to start 3 - 1 or 2-2 at the worst and a lot is going to depend on initial cohesion....hopefully dak and Amari and zeke have the mojo to start while the others get up to speed

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I don't watch much football outside of Cowboys games. Yes i remember GB's style somewhat, mostly i remember AR rolling out or moving around and throwing passes on the money. I'm not expecting Dak to be AR, but for those of you who know about the coaching staff and player traits/skills, what are you expecting from this offense?

I like a offense that will throw downfield 20 plus yards if it's 2nd and 2 or 3. I also like striking when the iron is hot by going downfield right after a turnover etc. Will we see any of that?

It should be fun to watch. That’s why Jerry put the kid in charge of the scoring.

KMoore better be tough tough and smart.

Big Mike wants Philbin in that job, like he was in GB.

the office politics over there have to be interesting.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

no.

no west coast.

KMoore running the offense.

Hands off for big Mike.

reminds me of the old Garret/Wade setup back in the late 2000’s.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have big hope for Connor...if he has put on some strength he could take a big jump....but you are spot on about our line having some question marks.

I am hopeful for him and rooting for him too. But I still feel like he's a tackle being done a disservice at guard.

best thing we can hope for is that these guys gel together enough to keep us competitive for the first quarter of the season, after that we should know what we have.

I'm rooting for the young guys to get their chance in there.

we have to find a way to start 3 - 1 or 2-2 at the worst and a lot is going to depend on initial cohesion....hopefully dak and Amari and zeke have the mojo to start while the others get up to speed

With better coaching and improved communication (as Dak said), I'm optimistic that they will be better prepared than they have been in the past. Even under less than ideal conditions. McCarthy and staff have still been able to organize and teach, even if it was virtual.