What's this offense going to be like?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't watch much football outside of Cowboys games. Yes i remember GB's style somewhat, mostly i remember AR rolling out or moving around and throwing passes on the money. I'm not expecting Dak to be AR, but for those of you who know about the coaching staff and player traits/skills, what are you expecting from this offense?

I like a offense that will throw downfield 20 plus yards if it's 2nd and 2 or 3. I also like striking when the iron is hot by going downfield right after a turnover etc. Will we see any of that?

Well McCarthy pretty much let the cat out of the bag when he was talking about Prescott when he said that most of last year's playbook will still be used.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, you are sourcing Pro Football Rumors?

Moore had already spoken with the new HC at WA and been offered the OC job and that is not rumor. If keeping Moore was conditional, do you think Booger would have let him interview for that job? Moore has said he was considering that when McC asked him to come back, come back as in he'd already left.

Could it be that Booger made no conditions on McC and could it be that McC expressed interest in keeping Moore? McC had spent the year watching NFL offenses and maybe he liked what he saw and he already knew a lot of the players liked Moore. You bring in a bunch of strangers, it's nice to have a familiar face. You might want to consider a lot of football people consider Moore a bright up and comer. McC might be one of those football people.
I never dismissed Moore wasn’t an up and coming or Mikey approved but it was known early on that Jerry had intentions to retain Moore. And appears a condition if you wanted to HC here. Why is that a negative?

And there’s more sources. One which isn’t allowed here but google for yourself. Here’s another.

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/01/mike-mccarthy-cowboys-new-coach-jerry-jones/

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep believing that . Lol

Jerry made it very clear his intention to retain Moore was part of the condition of a new HC. And that fact doesn’t have to be negative.

“Jerry Jones made it a point during the Cowboys’ HC interviews to express his desire for Jason Garrett‘s eventual successor to retain Moore. “

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/01/kellen-moore-expected-to-stay-with-cowboys#:~:text=Despite Dallas’ disappointing season, the team is intent,one-year coordinator. One year remains on Moore’s contract.

From pro football RUMORS.....:lmao2:

so you go from not believing anything Jerry says to believing this.
Typical

I will go by what MM said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From pro football RUMORS.....:lmao2:

so you go from not believing anything Jerry says to believing this.
Typical

I will go by what MM said.
It wasn’t just what Jerry said . It was the general consensus that Jerrys intent was to retain Moore.

On the contrary I’ve often said Jerry speaks exactly how he feels. Maybe even too honest publicly. I always attempt to hold his feet to the fire from the words he spouts.

And I’m not disputing Mikey liked Moore. He might not have accepted the job if he didn’t. My argument is it was a condition of hire to retain Moore. I’m not sure why that is a negative ?

Last edited:

Scotman

Reaction score
You've got a strong mobile QB. One of the better backs in the league. A backup RB that teams will absolutely have to respect. A set of WRs with just scary potential. If our line performs...I hope to see an OC put something together that is unpredictable.

All the weapons and tools are there. I hope our offensive game plan includes attacking weaknesses and exploiting other team's tendencies. Moore is supposed to be a genius. I hope to see proof of that.

75boyz

Reaction score
It wasn’t just what Jerry said . It was the general consensus that Jerrys intent was to retain Moore.

On the contrary I’ve often said Jerry speaks exactly how he feels. Maybe even too honest publicly. I always attempt to hold his feet to the fire from the words he spouts.

And I’m not disputing Mikey liked Moore. He might not have accepted the job if he didn’t. My argument is it was a condition of hire to retain Moore. I’m not sure why that is a negative ?

You get no argument from me. The phenomena that surrounds how everyone feels that keeping a 1 yr OC for continuity of last year's high yardage offense while so easily discarding the newly appointed HC's full resume and offensive background still puzzles me.

I guess just taking it at "supposed" face value as is presently being explained by the masses is a harder concept to grasp for me.

Oh well, lol.

Go Cowboys :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You get no argument from me. The phenomena that surrounds how everyone feels that keeping a 1 yr OC for continuity of last year's high yardage offense while so easily discarding the newly appointed HC's full resume and offensive background still puzzles me.

I guess just taking it at "supposed" face value as is presently being explained by the masses is a harder concept to grasp for me.

Oh well, lol.

Go Cowboys :)
We have a segment of fans who want to believe if Mikey didn’t like Moore we wouldn’t have retained him. And who knows. It didn’t have to come to that.

My argument has followed the consensus that Jerry’s hiring of a new HC was based on retaining Moore.

And while that doesn’t have to be a negative it does dispute that all of the coaches weren’t hand picked by Mikey.

Basically I think it was understood anyone seeking the Cowboys HC job that retaining Moore and being sold on Dak were at least preferred by Jerry if not conditional .

75boyz

Reaction score
We have a segment of fans who want to believe if Mikey didn’t like Moore we wouldn’t have retained him. And who knows. It didn’t have to come to that.

My argument has followed the consensus that Jerry’s hiring of a new HC was based on retaining Moore.

And while that doesn’t have to be a negative it does dispute that all of the coaches weren’t hand picked by Mikey.

Basically I think it was understood anyone seeking the Cowboys HC job that retaining Moore and being sold on Dak were at least preferred by Jerry if not conditional .

Agreed. For me to believe otherwise is a simple agree to disagree matter of opinion with those that think something else.

My own feelings regarding his services being retained go a little further than a conditional job requirement for the HC's job to be approved by Jerry.

But this simple explanation you described here is at the foundation of my opinion as well.

I believe it was MikeB80 who laid out a logical, detailed and although speculative matter of opinion regarding how Moore's being retained, could not be explained away for simple continuity reasons in my opinion as well. I agreed with his entire contextual line of thinking in his post.

But anyways...

Go Cowboys

Last edited: