What's with the MLB lock out?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The league needs a salary cap and there should be rules against player dumping to load playoff bound teams. The players want free agency sooner.

Basically a cap solves a lot of problems and gets more teams in the hunt while placing a premium on the farm system where it should be. I don't understand why the players association doesn't want the league revenue spread around more evenly. All the money goes to a few free agents every off season.

kskboys

Reaction score
The league needs a salary cap and there should be rules against player dumping to load playoff bound teams. The players want free agency sooner.

Basically a cap solves a lot of problems and gets more teams in the hunt while placing a premium on the farm system where it should be. I don't understand why the players association doesn't want the league revenue spread around more evenly. All the money goes to a few free agents every off season.
Badly.

At present, the Pirates and Marlins can have a complete payroll less than one or two guys on the top team, and gladly take in the luxury taxes top teams are paying. Great for the teams, especially if winning isn't a goal.

However, it appears the players have finally figured out that the top guys on the top teams get paid a fortune, but most players make less under this system. Not to mention the fact that several teams are no more than farm teams for the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox.

Sick system, very sick. Need salary cap badly, w/ both a max and a min. The top dogs would make less, but everyone else would make considerably more.

terra

Reaction score
Badly.

At present, the Pirates and Marlins can have a complete payroll less than one or two guys on the top team, and gladly take in the luxury taxes top teams are paying. Great for the teams, especially if winning isn't a goal.

However, it appears the players have finally figured out that the top guys on the top teams get paid a fortune, but most players make less under this system. Not to mention the fact that several teams are no more than farm teams for the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox.

Sick system, very sick. Need salary cap badly, w/ both a max and a min. The top dogs would make less, but everyone else would make considerably more.
Baseball has been broken in many ways for a long time. From the ignoring of steroids to the joke of a salary cap and more.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

The problem is the owners already blinked in 94' and aren't likely to do it again.

I don't know if a salary cap was on the table, but players sat an entire year and the World Series was cancelled, while the NFL *soared* in popularity.

Personally, I think it would have happened anyway, but it would probably take a year long fight to even have the possibility of a salary cap and I don't see that happening.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The biggest issue is the arbitration system that can keep a player under control of a team for like 6 years, it is such a nice thing that teams are willing to pay a little more in trades if a player is still arbitration eligible.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest issue is the arbitration system that can keep a player under control of a team for like 6 years, it is such a nice thing that teams are willing to pay a little more in trades if a player is still arbitration eligible.

. They need a salary cap and salary minimum. This business of teams out of contention being poached by contenders has got to stop.

jrumann59

Reaction score
. They need a salary cap and salary minimum. This business of teams out of contention being poached by contenders has got to stop.
While I think a salary cap would work, the huge contracts some times have on the books would be hard to move around to implement a cap, unless they do phased cap. As for those teams that are farmed, that is on them. A salary cap or floor would not stop that, the Marlins, Pirates, Mariners, Royals etc main model is to be inconsistent, build thrugh the farm system get good for 2-3 years and then sink back to being bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
While I think a salary cap would work, the huge contracts some times have on the books would be hard to move around to implement a cap, unless they do phased cap. As for those teams that are farmed, that is on them. A salary cap or floor would not stop that, the Marlins, Pirates, Mariners, Royals etc main model is to be inconsistent, build thrugh the farm system get good for 2-3 years and then sink back to being bad.
Of course it's on them. However, that doesn't change the fact that the league makes more money when teams don't consistently trot out triple A talent.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Of course it's on them. However, that doesn't change the fact that the league makes more money when teams don't consistently trot out triple A talent.
I agree but small market teams are small market teams. There are a lot of cities that probably should not have a baseball team, mainly most of the ones in Florida

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Tampa Bucs KC Chiefs the Bengals all small market teams doing well contending with a salary cap in place.

Then you have baseball where the “ luxury tax “ is a joke to guys who own the Dodgers Yankees Red Sox Angels and the like. Made it refreshing when the Royals beat the Mets a few years back .

Like Atlanta Cowboy pointed out the sport of baseball needs a more uniform salary cap so the Red Sox don’t have such an over bloated payroll then say the Milwaukee Brewers.

RonWashington

Reaction score
And this may not be earth shattering or strike related but how does the National League play superior brand of ball making the pitcher actually take batting practice learn how to handle a bat then the American League who has an artificial position in mostly washed up players hacking away 4 times a game as “ designated payroll sponges “ ….

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They could phase in the cap. They could opt out existing contracts. All kinds of things can be done to get a cap. I can't believe they don't already have one with the disparity in payrolls.