Whats wrong with defense?

aikemirv

Reaction score
They don't know how to respond to adversity. It is not a talent thing - we have seen them perform well. It is not a scheme thing, we have seen it successful - It is not a physical thing, they were on the field a lot against Tampa too.

It showed in the Arizona game when they folded after the tipped pass went against them.

It showed in the Rams game when the offense kept putting them in bad positions.

It showed in the NYG game - but to tell you the truth they were just on the field too much.

Listening to Ratliff and others they just seem to have a defeatist attitude at this point.

How do you get them past that? They don't believe in themselves or their teamates it seems.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Giants were going to score points.

Our offense was the reason for the snowball effect because of all the turnovers.

Had Brad Johnson not been so fortunate vs the Bucs and some of those passes that hit the Tampa players in the hands had been caught we would have got blown out that game too.

The Giants game wasn't all on the defense because the offense kinda screwed them over.

Our defense caused some turnovers and even scored one time.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I agree about the Giants game. I think Jenkins int for a TD carried them for most of the first half. That is kind of what I am talking about. They respond well when good things happen to them. They just don't respond well to adversity.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
aikemirv;2402665 said:
I agree about the Giants game. I think Jenkins int for a TD carried them for most of the first half. That is kind of what I am talking about. They respond well when good things happen to them. They just don't respond well to adversity.

A lot of times they do, they've just been stuck in too many adverse situations because of turnovers and/or poor special teams and/or offensive ineptitude without Romo.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
CATCH17;2402655 said:

Our offense was the reason for the snowball effect because of all the turnovers.

Had Brad Johnson not been so fortunate vs the Bucs and some of those passes that hit the Tampa players in the hands had been caught we would have got blown out that game too.

The Giants game wasn't all on the defense because the offense kinda screwed them over.

Did you happen to see the Pitt-Wash game?

The Pitt defense was put in on short fields to begin the game. They held the Commanders to FGs. Later in the game, when the offense was struggling, the defense went out there and held Wash to 3 and outs. They didn't use their offenses ineptness to justify collapsing like our defense does.

If the defense does it's job and holds the opponents to 3 and outs, the offense will have a chance to stay in the game. But if the defense justifies collapsing because the offense is ineffective, they need to look in the mirror when pointing fingers.

The Pitt defense held Wash, and eventually the offense came around and scored points and won the game.

Our offense has had our defenses' back many times, why can't the defense do it for the offense when they need it?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2402842 said:

The Pitt defense was put in on short fields to begin the game. They held the Commanders to FGs. Later in the game, when the offense was struggling, the defense went out there and held Wash to 3 and outs. They didn't use their offenses ineptness to justify collapsing like our defense does.

If the defense does it's job and holds the opponents to 3 and outs, the offense will have a chance to stay in the game. But if the defense justifies collapsing because the offense is ineffective, they need to look in the mirror when pointing fingers.

The Pitt defense held Wash, and eventually the offense came around and scored points and won the game.

Our offense has had our defenses' back many times, why can't the defense do it for the offense when they need it?

Our defense has done the same thing a lot of times, too. In the third quarter on Sunday, the Giants got the ball at our 48 after we punted from our own 3. The defense forced a three-and-out and got the ball back. The offense did nothing with it and punted again, from the 5, giving the Giants the ball at our 30. On the first play, Ware sacked Manning, forced a fumble, and we got the ball right back.

Against Tampa Bay last week, the Bucs got the ball on our half of the field one time, and the defense held them to a field goal. Against St. Louis, the Rams got the ball at our 34, the defense drove them backward, and they missed a field goal. Against Cincinnati, the first three times the Bengals got the ball inside our territory, the defense held them to field goals. The only times the Commanders and the Packers got the ball inside our territory (once each), the defense held them field goals. The Eagles didn't score on one of the two times they got the ball in our territory.

Yes, some of the times when our opponents have started in our territory, they've scored a touchdown, but we've also stopped them a bunch of times. The problem is that we've put our defense in those situations way too many times.

Plumfool

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2402900 said:
Our defense has done the same thing a lot of times, too. In the third quarter on Sunday, the Giants got the ball at our 48 after we punted from our own 3. The defense forced a three-and-out and got the ball back. The offense did nothing with it and punted again, from the 5, giving the Giants the ball at our 30. On the first play, Ware sacked Manning, forced a fumble, and we got the ball right back.

Against Tampa Bay last week, the Bucs got the ball on our half of the field one time, and the defense held them to a field goal. Against St. Louis, the Rams got the ball at our 34, the defense drove them backward, and they missed a field goal. Against Cincinnati, the first three times the Bengals got the ball inside our territory, the defense held them to field goals. The only times the Commanders and the Packers got the ball inside our territory (once each), the defense held them field goals. The Eagles didn't score on one of the two times they got the ball in our territory.

Yes, some of the times when our opponents have started in our territory, they've scored a touchdown, but we've also stopped them a bunch of times. The problem is that we've put our defense in those situations way too many times.

Thats it right there exactly waaayy tooo maaanny times. Thats why I dont blame jenkinsfor not trying to tackle Jacobs on his TD run At that point the defense is thinkning I'm going to get smashed for what? We're not going to anything with the ball anyway.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Our linebackers are slow and soft....

of course not Ware/Zack/Spencer, however the rest are not Physical enought in the 3-4

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
we don't have the right personel needed to run a 3-4
we have stupid players
we have stupid coaches

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2402655 said:

So explain why the giants offense didn't look that good against the Steelers a week before?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2403302 said:
So explain why the giants offense didn't look that good against the Steelers a week before?
steelers have a much better defense

Nexx

Reaction score
the main problem is right up the middle. just like in baseball, if you are weak up the middle on the defense, you will get killed

all starts with the nose tackle and our two very unathletic, soft hitting linebackers. zach makes up for some of it with his instincts. brady is SOFT. ive never seen a bigger linebacker like him get carried and driven backwards like brady does. not only that but he might be a slower version of roy williams in coverage. zach can at least drop back and cover and read a pass play.

i love me some jay ratliff...... at the DE position in a 3-4. he just doesnt take up space and stuff the middle like a grady jackson, casey hampton. he doesnt hold up to double teams on run plays very well. he would be a monster full time at the DE position.

our safties... ugh is all i have to say.

WE ARE SOFT UP THE MIDDLE!!!

yentl911

Reaction score
I think we have the players for the 3-4 defense up front but we don;t have two stud safeties - that is what makes a huge difference IMO. Did you guys watch Palamalu run down people on Monday night - he was quick, decisive and brought the wood when he got to the target. Plus, the WA WR's head their heads on a swivel watching for his location. Not to mention he was all over run support throughout the game.

Davis is a head hunter but lacks ability and Hamlin isn't stout against the run.

I also think that the players we have lack football smarts. There should be no reason to be giving each other direction - other than what the call is - before a play. We look, and respond, like we are lost. A confused player is slower than a player with the same ability that knows his responsibility. A smart and decisive player can play faster. That is a huge problem with this group.

Don't get me started on our lack of being physical when we get down....

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2403302 said:

The Giants scored points against the Steelers' defense, too. And they took it right down the field in the fourth quarter for the winning touchdown.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2402842 said:

1. The Pittsburgh D is better than ours. They've had the same scheme and coordinator forever, and know how to draft for it.

2. They didn't have Brad Johnson at QB. If anything, Leftwich was better than Ben R.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Rampage;2403284 said:
we don't have the right personel needed to run a 3-4
we have stupid players
we have stupid coaches

We only have some of the players to run it properly. I hate to say it but this team would perform better under a 4-3 and even then they would be suspect..

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2403340 said:
We only have some of the players to run it properly. I hate to say it but this team would perform better under a 4-3 and even then they would be suspect..
if we want to run an effective 3-4 we need to...
get rid of Canty and move Ratliff back to DE
get a 3-4 nosetackle
start spencer
get 2 inside linebackers who are smart and can cover
get a ss from THE U!

Nexx

Reaction score
Rampage;2403346 said:
if we want to run an effective 3-4 we need to...
get rid of Canty and move Ratliff back to DE
get a 3-4 nosetackle
start spencer
get 2 inside linebackers who are smart and can cover
get a ss from THE U!

I honestly thought Canty would break out this season. He pretty much doesnt make any expectional plays. if the running back runs into him he does fine or if the QB gets flushed towards him he can pick up a give me sack.

cowboyed

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2403110 said:
Our linebackers are slow and soft....

of course not Ware/Zack/Spencer, however the rest are not Physical enought in the 3-4

Our defense could not contain a gaggle of debutantes rushing off to a Dillard's 75% off sale.