When Dak sucks this year, don't blame him

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Why should they waste salary cap space on WRs that can not connect with anyway? If Romo was still the QB, Dez would still be here because Romo was accurate enough to get the best out of Dez. Dak is not capable of throwing the back shoulder passes to WRs, so they shouldn't waste the money on WRs that Dak can't accurately throw to.

Back shoulder fades are as much of a timing issue as an accuracy issue. Don't know that Dak is "not capable" of throwing it, maybe he just needs more practice at it...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
yep a good QB guru can fix any QB's issues, that's why every QB that has been drafted has turned out to be super stars.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score

You're the one with the attitude problem. Because we "signed up in january from that other forum," you think you can just denigrate our opinions based solely on that...

here's a clue. You're wrong. Most of us were on the OFFICIAL BOARD for years before it shut down because skeletor is an idiot. Years of quality contributions just treated like trash because skeletor is an idiot.

You have the attitude problem. You adjust it.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We easily have a bottom five receiving core in the league at the moment. I will say, while Dak has been good he has been overrated, I think by half the fan base that for some reason had a reason to target and bash on Romo were quick to come to the Dak love. Terrance Williams is a no 4 receiver on most teams, Hurns can be an adequate two, and Beasley only fills certain route tree like Bryant, oh the biggest concern we have no number 1 and Witten is adequate at best at TE at his age.

Well, then the same rules apply to Zeke's last season (if you are going only on Dak's last season). Zeke too is overrated, dropping from 5.1 ypc his rookie year to 4.1 last year.

kskboys

Reaction score
We easily have a bottom five receiving core in the league at the moment. I will say, while Dak has been good he has been overrated, I think by half the fan base that for some reason had a reason to target and bash on Romo were quick to come to the Dak love. Terrance Williams is a no 4 receiver on most teams, Hurns can be an adequate two, and Beasley only fills certain route tree like Bryant, oh the biggest concern we have no number 1 and Witten is adequate at best at TE at his age.
Due to the possible upgrades we've acquired, you absolutely cannot make this statement at this point.

JustChip

Reaction score
Can always tell the fake fans on this site - it's never that "Dak needs to improve/has accuracy issues, etc." but "Dak sucks".
It's never "the receiving corps needs somebody to step up/who's going to be the no. 1 guy/who's going to provide a deep threat, etc." but "bottom 5 receiving corps"
It's never "the defense doesn't get enough turnovers/isn't tough enough/needs a better pass rush, etc" but "worst defense in the league".

And on and on.

But no way to keep them out, I just ignore their comments...

Spot on. Too much on here is binary. And I get that - winning and losing are binary. But it's not that simple in evaluating individual performances. Frankly, Dak didn't perform as well last year as his rookie year, especially the last 1/2. But even with the exact same circumstances this year, I would expect him to have learned from last year and actually perform better. That's what you expect from young players - to learn and progress.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can have a bad QB and bad weapons around him. Both can be true and that's the current state of the Cowboys.

kskboys

Reaction score
You can have a bad QB and bad weapons around him. Both can be true and that's the current state of the Cowboys.
Conjecture. We simply don't know yet. Wilson and Gallup might turn out to be the best WR tandem in the NFL.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Conjecture. We simply don't know yet. Wilson and Gallup might turn out to be the best WR tandem in the NFL.

Maybe. But usually it takes wide receivers a year or two to get used to the NFL, wouldn't look for them to make a huge impact this year, if they ever do.

Flamma

Reaction score

What did we have in 2016 that was so good? Witten was way past his prime and Dez was no longer dominant yet the Cowboys went 13-3. Even when Dez was injured they didn't skip a beat. As long as the OL is in top form, Zeke does his job and Dak isn't running for his life all game, I can't imagine this group of WRs not being at least as capable as our 2016 group. Think about it. At one point in 2016 Dak was having no problem passing the ball to Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, TWill, and Jason Witten, Dez was injured. I still recall being a little shocked that it was happening.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There are lots of pieces to the puzzle this year, that could all come together, fall completely apart or come together partly:
Will Dak improve on last year?
Will Hurns and Thompson mesh quickly?
Can some receiver step up and replace Dez?
Will Vander Esch shine as a rookie?
Can Lawrence continue like he did last year?
Will some DT provide some interior pass rush?
Who will fill LG?
Can Williams make the transition to guard/push Collins back to guard?
Can the dbs mesh?
How will B. Jones handle cb? (Assuming he is going back there)
Will Irving get suspended from the DV accusation?
Can Linehan get Beasley back to single coverage?
Will T. Smith's back hold up?
Can Swaim or Gathers or Jarwin fill Witten's shoes?
Will T. Will's foot heal up back to normal, and in time for him to participate in camp/play pre-season?
Can Bailey get back to his old super reliable self?
Will Chris Jones be upset at not making the Pro Bowl and fall off in performance?

Of course every team has some issues and question marks, but there's literally no part of this team that doesn't have issues or question marks. The Patriots still have Brady, the Steelers still have a two-time SB winning quarterback and one of the game's best at receiver and running back, the Seahawks still have Wilson who carried the team last year, the Giants picked up a top rated running back, have a two time SB winning quarterback and may have fixed their o-line problems or at least greatly improved it, the Rams have tons of talent, the Panthers still have Newton, etc. etc. Those teams have at least some critical parts of the team set with top level, proven talent.

This team, with the exception of the punter, does not...

Will Tyron Smiths back hold up and will Sean lee play a whole season . The 2 most important ifs . The rest we can work around but without these 2 we are done

Blackrain

Reaction score
What did we have in 2016 that was so good? Witten was way past his prime and Dez was no longer dominant yet the Cowboys went 13-3. Even when Dez was injured they didn't skip a beat. As long as the OL is in top form, Zeke does his job and Dak isn't running for his life all game, I can't imagine this group of WRs not being at least as capable as our 2016 group. Think about it. At one point in 2016 Dak was having no problem passing the ball to Cole Beasley, Brice Butler, TWill, and Jason Witten, Dez was injured. I still recall being a little shocked that it was happening.
He wont have a problem this year if Tyrons back is 100% we are top 5 Oline and all is well with Tyron out we rate around 15 to 20 and will fail

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We've had a bottom 5 wr group pretty much since Dez stopped being good.
Due to the possible upgrades we've acquired, you absolutely cannot make this statement at this point.

Well, on paper .............. i'm looking at the wr depth charts from around the league and bottom 5 might be generous.

http://thehuddle.com/2018-nfl-depth-charts.php

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

It's really simple, the guy on offence who touches the ball on every offensive snap was better in 2016 than he was in 2017. the question becomes which guy do we get in 2018. You know what franchise QB's do? They carry a team when things get tough (like injuries, suspensions, etc). If there are too many things to overcome then i agree it can become impossible for even the best QB's in the league to put a team on their shoulders, but a couple of injuries here and there and even a suspension to Zeke, is something that a franchise QB should overcome or at the worst keep us competitive in the games. When things got tough for Dak last season we weren't even in the games. Look at this 3 game stretch (27-7L Atl), (37-9L Phil), (28-6L LAC), then we beat a severly injured Wash team beat a (at the time 2-10 Giants team) that couldn't score any points and then got lucky against the Raiders, lost to the Seahawks in the most important game of the season for us and even with Zeke back we couldn't score a TD in the game (at home), then beat the Eagles 2nd team 6-0 (wow!). I know alot of you guys don't want to hear it but unless Dak picks up his game this season, expect more of the same thing you saw in the 2nd half of last season

Flamma

Reaction score
It's really simple, the guy on offence who touches the ball on every offensive snap was better in 2016 than he was in 2017. the question becomes which guy do we get in 2018. You know what franchise QB's do? They carry a team when things get tough (like injuries, suspensions, etc). If there are too many things to overcome then i agree it can become impossible for even the best QB's in the league to put a team on their shoulders, but a couple of injuries here and there and even a suspension to Zeke, is something that a franchise QB should overcome or at the worst keep us competitive in the games. When things got tough for Dak last season we weren't even in the games. Look at this 3 game stretch (27-7L Atl), (37-9L Phil), (28-6L LAC), then we beat a severly injured Wash team beat a (at the time 2-10 Giants team) that couldn't score any points and then got lucky against the Raiders, lost to the Seahawks in the most important game of the season for us and even with Zeke back we couldn't score a TD in the game (at home), then beat the Eagles 2nd team 6-0 (wow!). I know alot of you guys don't want to hear it but unless Dak picks up his game this season, expect more of the same thing you saw in the 2nd half of last season

QB's can't carry a team if the team isn't motivated to play. Remember back in 2010 when we went 1-7 before they had to give Wade the boot? What could Romo have done? In week 2 of 2017 Dallas was dominated by Denver. It looked like the team was just not ready for that game. That three game stretch you're referring to reminded me of 2010. I just thought the team wasn't motivated to win. Despite of everything I have said I still believe you could be right and me dead wrong. But I do believe Dak had too much to overcome for a 2nd year QB. Especially when you throw in our lackluster effort. How well did Aikman do without Emmitt? And I don't even believe Dak is anywhere near as good as Aikman or Romo.

jay94

Reaction score
Every year even the good teams usually get dominated once or twice a year, just a nature of the beast. I am very concerned about our WR core, I hope I am way wrong, I do like Gallop, but the rest of is blah.

jay94

Reaction score

Witten still had a decent year, but his decline was definitely showing. Also Dez wasn't terrible that year either, the key their is how good Beasley was! The adjusted in 17 for that, now we need to adjust.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
QB's can't carry a team if the team isn't motivated to play. Remember back in 2010 when we went 1-7 before they had to give Wade the boot? What could Romo have done? In week 2 of 2017 Dallas was dominated by Denver. It looked like the team was just not ready for that game. That three game stretch you're referring to reminded me of 2010. I just thought the team wasn't motivated to win. Despite of everything I have said I still believe you could be right and me dead wrong. But I do believe Dak had too much to overcome for a 2nd year QB. Especially when you throw in our lackluster effort. How well did Aikman do without Emmitt? And I don't even believe Dak is anywhere near as good as Aikman or Romo.
Jason Garrett may not be the best coach, but i have yet to see one game his entire time here where the team was not motivated to play or a time when the team gave up. Being outcoached (which is entirely possible with this staff is not the same as players giving up on a coach. Aikmam didn't do as well without Emmitt, i grant you that but then Aikman didn't have Alfred Morris to take over for Emmitt when he was holding out. I don't think Dak had too much to overcome, i think he panicked, now he is young and hopefully he can learn from it. We will see this season

kskboys

Reaction score
We've had a bottom 5 wr group pretty much since Dez stopped being good.

Well, on paper .............. i'm looking at the wr depth charts from around the league and bottom 5 might be generous.

http://thehuddle.com/2018-nfl-depth-charts.php
Possibly, but you're taking for granted too many unknowns in saying that. We've almost completely redone our WR corps.

And basically, our WR group was not that good to begin w/, even w/ Dez.