When is the honest offer presser?

aaev84

Reaction score
We are about six hours into the first official day of Free Agency and we have people jumping off bridges.

Not jumping off bridges. It is just extremely old and stale how the front office has approached things. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It's okay though, Dallas will pay Dak and everyone will play harder because everyone "loves" Dak.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The best part of this time of the year is all the guys that run and say things like, "hey FA just started" and "you guys are flipping out and FA isn't even a week old" as if people are blind to the fact that the Cowboys are about to drop serious FA acquisitions later.

As if this FA period is now going to be any different than past ones where we really only signed backup types, scrubs and guys like Nolan Carroll who we cut a month into the season.

By and large, the players that could have made an impact on this team are pretty much gone. You are now left looking at situational types and back ups and retreads that maybe, just maybe, you'll turn into a Power Ball winning lottery ticket.
So how free agency should be run?

Resign your own stars that you draft and develop and then use free agency to fortify the middle and back end of of the roster and then turn the page to the real business of the draft?

uvaballa

Reaction score
Well the Cowboys were big FA players in the past and it hurt the team. Now that aren’t and they’ve had better seasons. Still not good enough but better.

Fans should chill out. I’m they still have the draft and there are free agents available to improve the team. If they can pick up a better safety, another WR, and another DL they should be ok next year. Fred Beard should make the oline better which should help the run and passing game. The defense is young and should improve having another year in the same system. They really need safety help and another guy to replace Irving/Gregory.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Resign your own stars that you draft and develop and then use free agency to fortify the middle and back end of of the roster and then turn the page to the real business of the draft?
There is a happy balance that can be attained.

Precision strikes at specifically identified talent can blend with a draft strategy.

Free agency should not be a bottom of the roster tool. By the time you sign a bunch of garbage free agents, the money they will get adds up to one precise asset.

CCBoy

Reaction score

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-the-impact-of-beasley-s-fa-departure

Which positions do you think offer the best value in the free agent market, especially in the last few years? It seems to me that interior O-Linemen, tight ends, and run-stuffing defensive tackles are a virtual dime a dozen come next week. Starters can be secured for one- or two-year deals with little guaranteed money. How do you see FA value from year to year? - CHRIS BARKEMA / STORY CITY, IA

Rob:
Running back bargains usually can be found, too. Remember, in 2016 the Cowboys signed Alfred Morris to a modest two-year deal two weeks into free agency. The Cowboys must address the backup spots again this year, but the draft is also a possibility in the middle to late rounds.

Bryan: You’re exactly right. This is where the pro department earns its money. There are quality players to be had on one-year deals, much like the Rams did with Suh last season. Next week’s market is how the good teams become better. I see the Cowboys in the middle of this.

Looks like Dallas actually is trying to get stronger contract pictures with their own good players...and action will start to involve Dallas starting week two, when a lot of what Dallas needs, comes to within realistic contract range.

The team still has about four strong picks in the draft to use wisely.

Myself, I'm a believer in player evaluations by the team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If they can pick up a better safety

They might as well just shut it down until the draft as far as safety goes.

They blew it.

Anybody out there right now is a waste of time and money.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what's worse is the army of Fan Boys and Apologists who believe them.
Get over your goofy internet attitude. You aren’t having any more effect on changing what the Cowboys do than anyone else. And my guess is you stay tuned to the team and watch the games just like others do. Complaining more about it doesn’t somehow make you a more righteous fan

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hope to see some type of movement in terms of maybe 2nd and 3rd tier FAs in the days and weeks to come, although, likely nothing earth shaking. In view of some of the cap draining signings with Dak, Zeke, Amari and Demarcus, it's sure to take a big bite out of the team's piggy bank. Business as usual, with two or three modest backup-type signings and our usual dependency on the draft to acquire new hopefuls.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score

Sign some of your guys, drop an occasional mid-level or upper tier FA into a starting position and make an impact and then hit some of the lower guys for depth.

We skip the part about trying to fix a clear need in FA with someone that can actually start and play.

Sydla

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-the-impact-of-beasley-s-fa-departure

Which positions do you think offer the best value in the free agent market, especially in the last few years? It seems to me that interior O-Linemen, tight ends, and run-stuffing defensive tackles are a virtual dime a dozen come next week. Starters can be secured for one- or two-year deals with little guaranteed money. How do you see FA value from year to year? - CHRIS BARKEMA / STORY CITY, IA

Rob:
Running back bargains usually can be found, too. Remember, in 2016 the Cowboys signed Alfred Morris to a modest two-year deal two weeks into free agency. The Cowboys must address the backup spots again this year, but the draft is also a possibility in the middle to late rounds.

Bryan: You’re exactly right. This is where the pro department earns its money. There are quality players to be had on one-year deals, much like the Rams did with Suh last season. Next week’s market is how the good teams become better. I see the Cowboys in the middle of this.

Looks like Dallas actually is trying to get stronger contract pictures with their own good players...and action will start to involve Dallas starting week two, when a lot of what Dallas needs, comes to within realistic contract range.

The team still has about four strong picks in the draft to use wisely.

Myself, I'm a believer in player evaluations by the team.

First of all, we don't really have four strong picks. We have two - our 2nd and 3rd rounders - after that it becomes a crap shoot.

Second, while what Broaddus says makes sense about some pretty quality guys out there signing one year deals later in free agency such as Suh, our front office has never really used that type of acquisition. So it might be wishful thinking on Broaddus' part that this team is going to suddenly jump in the fray and pull a guy like Suh or Justin Houston on a one year deal.

uvaballa

Reaction score
They might as well just shut it down until the draft as far as safety goes.

They blew it.

Anybody out there right now is a waste of time and money.
Yeah safety is the biggest need and DL IMO. There should be some good picks in the second round of the draft.

I really think the offense could be fine once Freddy comes back. Not counting on Witten to do much but he could help extend drives on third down.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm guessing that they'll lead off the Olawale signing party with the 'Honest Offer' news so not to take away from the excitement of having a FB locked up for the next 4 years. Can't imagine the relief felt throughout the draft room when they pulled this 'position of need' off of the draft board.
There were fist bumps all around.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Get over your goofy internet attitude. You aren’t having any more effect on changing what the Cowboys do than anyone else. And my guess is you stay tuned to the team and watch the games just like others do. Complaining more about it doesn’t somehow make you a more righteous fan

No, you're right. I will follow your lead and rubber stamp everything the team does. Maybe I can blame the officials or Roger Goodell when we come up short yet again. It's gotta be someone else's fault. Am I right?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you're right. I will follow your lead and rubber stamp everything the team does. Maybe I can blame the officials or Roger Goodell when we come up short yet again. It's gotta be someone else's fault. Am I right?
And you have the gall to accuse others of blind thinks ... You don’t even know what I think, but this is the parrot comment made by those who are upset that not everyone whines as much as they do. If you complain constantly and don’t put down people who don’t complain constantly, that has to mean you rubber stamp everything the team does ..,, that’s a way more mindless and illogical viewpoint than what you try to pin on others

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And you have the gall to accuse others of blind thinks ... You don’t even know what I think, but this is the parrot comment made by those who are upset that not everyone whines as much as they do. If you complain constantly and don’t put down people who don’t complain constantly, that has to mean you rubber stamp everything the team does ..,, that’s a way more mindless and illogical viewpoint than what you try to pin on others

Hypocrite much?

Your whole spiel is that people who are critical of the team are whiners and complainers.

Go Cowboys!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We are about six hours into the first official day of Free Agency and we have people jumping off bridges.
What do you guys expect?

I consider resigning our own guys as FA signings.

Becuz if you do not..they be gone.

No way were we resigning Beasley.

Now are you ready to let Byron Jones go..a Pro Bowl corner?

What about Tank?

Or any of the core of the team?

Nope, thought not.

Just take a look at the top tier players in motion around the league.

They are bankrupting their caps to try to win.

Like it or not, the FO has been weighing all this for the last couple of years and they have a plan.

And it's not to do knee jerk signings.

If you go out and sign some super duper FA to a Kings Ransom..

the other players already here are going to leverage for even more money like Beasley tried to do.

None of us thought much of that and he is gone.

Or it means releasing somebody we do not want to to make room.

So let's wait.

After the draft..you know there will be some cuts of interest.

You know in TC there will be more players to be signed or traded for.

So be patient.

This is the fun part of the off season.

You guys get miserable with your whining.

Carry on.

:omg: