When the GM works for the owner

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most are disappointed with the season so far but if you are really honest with yourself about your expectations, you ignored the signs.

The first sign to never ignore is that the GM in untouchable when it comes to accountability and with the owner's own explanation as to why he will not hire a GM, another GM might be more fearful of losing his job that taking the risks he takes.

Sign 1. The GM keeps the HC because he makes the owner comfortable. He has actually used that word. Comfort is the enemy of necessary change.

Sign 2. The GM brought a retired player back because he need a soft spot to land after an embarrassing foray into broadcasting. To exacerbate that, there are orders about the number of plays he gets and targets to make sure he gets to save face. And the HC is more than willing to comply.

Sign 3. This is the blinking red sign for the 2019 season. No GM in the NFL would have turned over the offense to a guy with one year of coaching experience of any kind on a team considered a contender.....because of it's offense. No HC would have stood by that decision.

So casual were the Joneses with this season that they gave the most critical part of the team to a neophyte coach. On the job training is what the Cowboys are all about.

The other challenge with this franchise is that the owner gives his nod of approval to the talent selected by the GM. In order to truly evaluate talent that one has selected, the ego factor must be removed for we are all too forgiving of our own mistakes and reluctant to correct them.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
The GM was not coaching Sunday.
  • 14 point down
  • 10 men on field
  • Game winning drive stalls out because of clock concerns
  • Fair Catch

Garrett just kissed his hope of getting extended good-bye.

Heck the lack of hustle by Jaylon is concerning. I just don't see how the entire defense mis-judged Cook's speed which causes poor angles. Not wrapping up, not adjusting to the screens, heck, the weak link for the Vikings is Kirk Cousins. The Weak link for Dallas is Garrett.

Sign 3, I like Moore a heck of a lot more than what the team had before.

Go Dallas!!

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
  • 14 point down
  • 10 men on field
  • Fair Catch

Heck the lack of hustle by Jaylon is concerning. I just don't see how the entire defense mis-judged Cook's speed which causes poor angles. Not wrapping up, not adjusting to the screens, heck, the weak link for the Vikings is Kirk Cousins. The Weak link for Dallas is Garrett.

Go Dallas!!
But the GM was responsible for who was.

Garrett the weak link? No doubt.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
  • 14 point down
  • 10 men on field
  • Fair Catch

Sign 3, I like Moore a heck of a lot more than what the team had before.

Go Dallas!!
Well said BT.

We all know that Jerry and the family are locked in forever. Best we can do is hope for some change. Garrett will probably be ousted by end of year at this rate.

I honestly like the guy. He’s not a bad coach. He just can’t seem to get the team over the hump. It is a team effort, but the onus ultimately falls at the feet of the team’s HC.

nobody

Reaction score
Jerry is the one that perpetuates the cult of mediocrity with the culture he promotes. No head coach has been able to overcome that. I'm not excusing Garrett. I think he's terrible because he refuses to learn from certain mistakes....but a lot of the players starting games slowly, or playing half-heartedly is a result of Jerry's influence and policies. There might be a coach out there that can overcome Jerry, and I sure wish that coach could be found.

Creeper

Reaction score
I didn't think Witten was that bad. I thought the combination of Booger and Witten was bad. I have heard worse TV analysts than Witten. He just needed to get comfortable with the process.

Praxit

Reaction score
...maybe the Jones should get into another type of Mafia. Football is not their forte. I heard the Corleone's could use some competition.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Sign 3. This is the blinking red sign for the 2019 season. No GM in the NFL would have turned over the offense to a guy with one year of coaching experience of any kind on a team considered a contender.....because of it's offense. No HC would have stood by that decision.

Its not like Jerry hasn't done it before.Who got hired as the OC in Dallas back in 2007 with a whopping 1 or 2 years experience as a QB coach?

morat1959

Reaction score
Most are disappointed with the season so far but if you are really honest with yourself about your expectations, you ignored the signs.

The first sign to never ignore is that the GM in untouchable when it comes to accountability and with the owner's own explanation as to why he will not hire a GM, another GM might be more fearful of losing his job that taking the risks he takes.

Sign 1. The GM keeps the HC because he makes the owner comfortable. He has actually used that word. Comfort is the enemy of necessary change.

Sign 2. The GM brought a retired player back because he need a soft spot to land after an embarrassing foray into broadcasting. To exacerbate that, there are orders about the number of plays he gets and targets to make sure he gets to save face. And the HC is more than willing to comply.

So casual were the Joneses with this season that they gave the most critical part of the team to a neophyte coach. On the job training is what the Cowboys are all about.

The other challenge with this franchise is that the owner gives his nod of approval to the talent selected by the GM. In order to truly evaluate talent that one has selected, the ego factor must be removed for we are all too forgiving of our own mistakes and reluctant to correct them.
So true! This has been going on for so long with this organization. I don’t know how any fan can defend JJ.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
there's a lack of accountability across the organization, and it begins right there

3f2.jpeg

Asklesko

Reaction score

I wonder what the Patriots would think about all this nonsense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Its amazing that this team has had the success that they have, with the level of dysfunction.
I believe if it was not for will mckays eye for talent, it would be far worse

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The real 1st sign of long term problems happened that fateful night in Feb, 1989 when JJ bought the team. When Jerry’s check cleared the bank, he not only bought the team, he bought untouchable lifetime NFL executive positions for himself and his kids, without any silly experience or merit requirements and without any accountability for on field results.

It’s an inherently bad plan if you’re serious about building an NFL champion on the field.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wonder what the Patriots would think about all this nonsense.

I'll bet those who take notice of this outfit have a good laugh and shake their collective heads. They know first hand what it takes. ;)