When was the last time you truly felt like we had a chance to win a Super Bowl

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Mine was in 06 because it was the last time we had a HC who could lead a team. That team was no where near perfect but if not for a fluke play we probably get to the SB. Now we have had some good runs since but under Garrett I never felt like he could coach anywhere on par with other coaches and sadly I feel the same way with MM.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
2014 and 2016.

2014 because of that offensive line, Murray breaking the single season Cowboys rushing record, and Romo just seemed to be in a zone that year.

2016 just seemed special. Everything we did was just working. It was like we couldn't do anything wrong. The O-line was still good, Zeke was 2014 Murray all over again but better overall, and Dak wasn't trying to do too much, but when we needed him to make a play he usually did. Everyone knew their roles and played them to perfect.

Aaron Rodgers though.... Ughh… Keep the bad man away, please.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lemme see if I might recall when that was . . . h-m-m, if my memory was that good, life would be a helluva lot easier than it is now!! :omg:

I do faintly recall times when I knew we were going to win and it was just a matter of time before it happened. Those were the days, alright.

Between Jerry's tendency to overspend and son Stephen's inclination to not spend at all, things really remained a muddled up mess, huh?

Last edited:

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
The year Wade was the coach and we had TO with Tony having one of his best season and dumbarse Pat Crayton dropped that wide open pass in the divisional round game against the Giants!!!! Eli goes on a run and the rest is history. I get mad just typing that mess!!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Late in the 2016 season, and I'm ashamed I got snookered one last time. No more. I'll believe there's a chance when I'm tuning in to watch an NFC title game involving the Cowboys. That's what it will take from now on.

I didn't believe it in 2007 because undefeated New England had already stolen the Cowboys lunch money that season. I didn't buy it in 2014 because despite the record the road would go through Green Bay AND Seattle. Just didn't believe either of those teams had enough, and they didn't.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mine was in 06 because it was the last time we had a HC who could lead a team. That team was no where near perfect but if not for a fluke play we probably get to the SB. Now we have had some good runs since but under Garrett I never felt like he could coach anywhere on par with other coaches and sadly I feel the same way with MM.
Right now. It all depends on injuries and how well the defense can improve. If the team can stay healthy and the defense jells then they can certainly compete for a Super Bowl.

JustChip

Reaction score
The year Wade was the coach and we had TO with Tony having one of his best season and dumbarse Pat Crayton dropped that wide open pass in the divisional round game against the Giants!!!! Eli goes on a run and the rest is history. I get mad just typing that mess!!!
It’s not a given win the NFCCG had we beat the Giants. For sure we would’ve been smoked by the Patriots. The Cowboys just didn’t have a defense on par with the Giants in the playoffs.

Crayton has been vilified for that play, and rightfully so, as well as for the next to last play. But Dallas lost that game because NY brought extra pressure and Dallas and Romo never made them pay.

calico

Reaction score
2014 and 2016 I expected them to go to the super bowl but lose. I fully expected those Garrett teams to fold under the pressure of the weeks before the super and the game itself.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
2016 - Had we not gone with a rookie QB in the playoffs (another dumb coaching decision)

I don't classify these as I felt they would win, but be strong contenders.
I just don't see how you can go back to Romo while we were on that run. You have to stick with the hot hand there.

I don't like Jerry or Garrett, but sticking with Dak was the right thing to do in my opinion. Honestly, I love Romo, but I don't see him having a better game than Dak did against Green Bay.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I just don't see how you can go back to Romo while we were on that run. You have to stick with the hot hand there.

I don't like Jerry or Garrett, but sticking with Dak was the right thing to do in my opinion. Honestly, I love Romo, but I don't see him having a better game than Dak did against Green Bay.
because it's never worked. Not saying it will never happen, but the team did exactly what any other team would do no matter the chance of winning.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Two times when Garrett was the HC where they had a legitimate shot. But honestly, with Garrett as the HC, it was very predictable that on the highest stage against the top competition and top coaching he would eventually make a big mistake or get out coached. Which is EXACTLY what happened both times.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2007…maybe a little in 2016. Those are the only times I thought we had a legit shot. That 2007 team is the biggest disappointment of the last 25 years because they had the #1 seed and legit roster on both sides of the ball. That’s it as far as teams that coulda/shoulda.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
It’s not a given win the NFCCG had we beat the Giants. For sure we would’ve been smoked by the Patriots. The Cowboys just didn’t have a defense on par with the Giants in the playoffs.

Crayton has been vilified for that play, and rightfully so, as well as for the next to last play. But Dallas lost that game because NY brought extra pressure and Dallas and Romo never made them pay.
This is all true but we were 13-3 that year with a HOF pass rusher in Ware still in his prime and a matchup nightmare with TO on the outside with Barber grinding folks, I think our defense was serviceable I won't go as far as to say we would've got smoked by the Patriots because Eli them beat them I think that team had to play better defense to win it all but I think Wade would've cooked something up

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
2016 - Had we not gone with a rookie QB in the playoffs (another dumb coaching decision)

:facepalm:

Yeah, because QB lost that game to the Packers (300 yards, 3 TDs, 31 points). It couldn't have been the defense that gave up 4 TD drives of 75 yards or longer, then couldn't hold GB for 30 seconds to force OT. Nah, had to be that rookie QB.