When we go 14-2, have the 1 rushing attack, top 5 defense, & a passing attack ranked around 10

black label

Reaction score
... will people stop making Dak out to be some sort of a joke?

I love Witten, one of the GOATs at tight end, very honorable man, but he was the slowest tight end in the league last year, and has been among the slowest for quite awhile actually. Never was a speed threat but a savvy player and elite route runner, but the last 3 years he just looks like an average 55 year old drunken couch potato running out there. His prowess in run blocking has been savaged by a pretty substantial uptick in holding and false start penalties on running plays lately. He held the offense back last year, it's safe to say.

Dez Bryant, on the other hand, was simply a clown. No question, he held the offense and the entire team back last year, not just by bringing overall bad vibes to the team with his childish drama queen act but also with his poor performance. He was being paid roughly Julio Jones money to saunter around the field, run half-a$sed routes, mope when he doesn't get the ball thrown his way, and proceed to derp when Dak did hit him in the hands. The first two games of the season were the microchasm of why we needed to cut this cancer. The first game, he drops two straight passes in the endzone and doesn't even try on a third, leading to a chip shot field goal. The second game, he quits on a fade route and just stares as Aqib Talib merrily dances back to the other endzone... with the ball. And then the horrors of the Seattle game... yeah, he's done. He'll be lucky to ever play another NFL down, and I think there's a good chance he doesn't.

******* We needed to get rid of both of them, without hurting Witten's feelings, and we did just that.

Cowboys will be among the very best in the NFL in 2018. The 5th seed may very well be one of the two great NFC East teams at 12-4 or better. We will contend and we will finally have the defense to rise up and challenge the Matt Ryan's, Aaron Rodgers' and Drew Brees' of the world when it counts most.
img_2431.gif

fredp22

Reaction score
i cringe when people do the "Witten was greatest, but..." comment and then go on to trash him. He was a checkdown-expected to pick up the first and did a great job at it, was a great blocker, and never missed a game. He never ran a 4.2 and wasnt expected to gain a lot after the reception. I'm lost on what else you expected from him, why hes getting the blame for last years team. or why you feel the team will improve with our current crop of rookies and players that couldnt beat him out last year. Look at the team between Novacek and Witten to see what average TE's are like and what u will probably see. This is exactly what is was like when Emmitt left and people were relieved Hambrick was taking over.

CPanther95

Reaction score
i cringe when people do the "Witten was greatest, but..." comment and then go on to trash him. He was a checkdown-expected to pick up the first and did a great job at it, was a great blocker, and never missed a game. He never ran a 4.2 and wasnt expected to gain a lot after the reception. I'm lost on what else you expected from him, why hes getting the blame for last years team. or why you feel the team will improve with our current crop of rookies and players that couldnt beat him out last year. Look at the team between Novacek and Witten to see what average TE's are like and what u will probably see. This is exactly what is was like when Emmitt left and people were relieved Hambrick was taking over.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to try and use the "addition by subtraction" argument with Witten. The more you slam Witten's recent production, the more you are downgrading the potential impact that the guys behind him - who will take his place - that were unable to play well enough to take his spot.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Call our two losses, OP.
Eagle split
@ Atlanta

I like us to win all the rest, but there's an outside chance we drop one unexpectedly and say, god forbid, sweep the Eagles. But less likely.

We can make up for the loss in Atlanta by winning in the same exact stadium in February.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Yes, well that would be different. I do think the passing game will be efficient. Thats the kind of QB Dak is and the great run game and Oline certainly help that.

Yah..........to be 14-2 we will need a top defense. But the schedule is too difficult for that type of record in my opinion.
Disagree.

The NFC South is pretty good, but I don't think the schedule is too terrible. We get NO at home and you know they tend to kind of stink on the road in the Brees era. We get Carolina and Cam Newton in an even year, and he doesn't play well in even years. Our road AFC South games are against the middling Texans and dreadful Colts, and we draw Jacksonville and Tennessee (who will regress this year) at home. We get the flailing Seahawks on the road, but we've won there before when they were at their peak and virtually invincible at home. We get lucky and get Detroit, not Green Bay this year. We crushed them at our home the last time we faced them, and that was when DET had far more to play for than we did.

Then we have the Eagles twice... dogfight... and 4 games against two teams which will be middling (6-9 win range) at best.

I wouldn't say it's a schedule with above average difficulty. However, because of injuries and such, you just don't know in July.

CPanther95

Reaction score
There have been years where three NFCE teams made it to the playoffs. This might be another one. Steel sharpens steel.

Things would have to drastically change. The NFC East has only had 2 WC teams twice in the past 25 years - last time was 11 years ago.

In the past 8 seasons, the NFC East hasn't even had a single WC team except once - the 2016 Giants.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Things would have to drastically change. The NFC East has only had 2 WC teams twice in the past 25 years - last time was 11 years ago.

In the past 8 seasons, the NFC East hasn't even had a single WC team except once - the 2016 Giants.
Three teams in one division making the playoffs is rare, it happened in the NFC last year, it happened with the AFC North a couple times in the past decade when the Bungles were still good. But it's not common.

It's not going to happen this year in the NFC, with the mediocre Commanders and below-average Giants in the division.

In the AFC, I just don't see it either this year. The North is a 2 team division with two bottom feeders, the South has the best chance but Tennessee was a lot worse than their record last year so they fall off, the East... lol... and the West has regressed big time.

I think the usual 3 division winners make it in the AFC non-West divisions with the Texans and Ravens as wild cards.... best guess. But Baltimore could very well just fall off if Flacco decides to quit. AFC West is anyone's and it could be this year's lowly division that the winner goes 8-8 or something.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
... will people stop making Dak out to be some sort of a joke?

I love Witten, one of the GOATs at tight end, very honorable man, but he was the slowest tight end in the league last year, and has been among the slowest for quite awhile actually. Never was a speed threat but a savvy player and elite route runner, but the last 3 years he just looks like an average 55 year old drunken couch potato running out there. His prowess in run blocking has been savaged by a pretty substantial uptick in holding and false start penalties on running plays lately. He held the offense back last year, it's safe to say.

Dez Bryant, on the other hand, was simply a clown. No question, he held the offense and the entire team back last year, not just by bringing overall bad vibes to the team with his childish drama queen act but also with his poor performance. He was being paid roughly Julio Jones money to saunter around the field, run half-a$sed routes, mope when he doesn't get the ball thrown his way, and proceed to derp when Dak did hit him in the hands. The first two games of the season were the microchasm of why we needed to cut this cancer. The first game, he drops two straight passes in the endzone and doesn't even try on a third, leading to a chip shot field goal. The second game, he quits on a fade route and just stares as Aqib Talib merrily dances back to the other endzone... with the ball. And then the horrors of the Seattle game... yeah, he's done. He'll be lucky to ever play another NFL down, and I think there's a good chance he doesn't.

******* We needed to get rid of both of them, without hurting Witten's feelings, and we did just that.

Cowboys will be among the very best in the NFL in 2018. The 5th seed may very well be one of the two great NFC East teams at 12-4 or better. We will contend and we will finally have the defense to rise up and challenge the Matt Ryan's, Aaron Rodgers' and Drew Brees' of the world when it counts most.
if we win 14, does it mean Garrett is not on the hot seat any more and he is a good coach?

CPanther95

Reaction score
Anyone named millennial legend can’t be taken seriously. And you proved it with this post.

If you believe their parents, all millennials are legends as long as they can get a part-time job and start paying rent to Mom & Dad before they hit 30 - and maintain it for at least 6 months.

Verdict

Reaction score
I won't be at all surprised when we go 14 and 2. We got rid of Dez and Witten. That's a major improvement. It's like getting cured from cancer. How could you not be better off without them?

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
That's awfully optimistic. Let's throw in a Super Bowl victory while we are fantasizing.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
When we go 14-2, have the 1 rushing attack, top 5 defense, & a passing attack ranked around 10

Small pieces of hail will be falling from the sky and suddenly burst into flames when they his the pigs with wings flying through the air.