When we traded for Roy Williams...

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Worst move Jones has made to date. There wasn't much thought put into this other than Jason Garrett saying we would have an awesome unstoppable offense. Roy Williams would have been a free agent. Why not wait? He's not as good as some people think he is. He doesn't have great speed, and that hinders him in separating from corners. He's no Jerry Rice, TO.
There were other needs more important than a wide receiver that will pay dividends when TO retires.

No doubt it was a panic move. Hey, if we win the Super Bowl like everyone said we are supposed to, it was great. If we don't, it might be a move that sets this franchise back.

superpunk

Reaction score
I agree. It was a great move for our future, not a panic move in any sense, but I did expect that it would at least have a little more impact this season.

To be honest, I think it might actually be hurting our offense, having our #2 receiver going through a training camp learning curve in the middle of a desperate playoff run?

Let's hope it pays off if we make the playoffs.

Jake0

Reaction score
Blue&Silver;2478435 said:
Worst move Jones has made to date. There wasn't much thought put into this other than Jason Garrett saying we would have an awesome unstoppable offense. Roy Williams would have been a free agent. Why not wait? He's not as good as some people think he is. He doesn't have great speed, and that hinders him in separating from corners. He's no Jerry Rice, TO.
There were other needs more important than a wide receiver that will pay dividends when TO retires.

No doubt it was a panic move. Hey, if we win the Super Bowl like everyone said we are supposed to, it was great. If we don't, it might be a move that sets this franchise back.

Yeah I guess great speed is the only way to catch balls in the NFL, I mean look at that Larry Fitzgerald guy, slow as molasses, what a terrible receiver.

rangers71

Reaction score
Blue&Silver;2478435 said:

This may be the dumbest statement on this forum. He ran a 4.37 at the combine. That my friend is fast as hell. Also to say he is no Jerry Rice is just plain stupid. I mean Rice is the best receiver to ever play he game. My god who can live up to those standards? Have a clue about the facts before you start posting crazy stuff.

Jake0

Reaction score
4.37 was his pro day I believe... he has good not great speed, I forget the exact number but his combine was mid 4.4's which isn't terrible at all. He has all the tools to be a great receiver, we'll see if he gets used to his potential here soon enough....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2478494 said:
I cant believe there is another thread of this...
It's his name. Chum in the water associated with that name.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If I were going to judge this deal based entirely on thus far then yes I'd be on the bandwagon that it was a bad deal. Lucky for me I realise that the deal was made for the FUTURE as well as the present and the value of the deal is simply not going to be able to be determined a handful of games into a situation that should be 4-5 years long, at the very least, for us.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
rangers71;2478487 said:
This may be the dumbest statement on this forum. He ran a 4.37 at the combine .

How have we done since the trade? Moreover, how has Roy done? We are no more explosive on offense than we were before the trade. I call that a failure, and one that will strip us from young talent in future years. Wouldn't a decent backup quarterback have helped us? Or another DB, or safety? I want to win now, this trade was made for now, not two or three years from now.

Don't bother responding if you're just going to throw inaccurate crap out to try and prove your point.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
well first of all he has drwn coverage away from T.O. and Witten, & to determine if we are more explosive wouldnt we have to throw it to him more than 3 times a game? Just askin..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't know why people just assume that Roy Williams would've sign with the Cowboys after the season. Imagine if the Eagles had traded for him(they tried to) and they went deep into the playoffs? Because they're a Roy Williams away from being a legit contender. You think he would've left them? TO would've never left that team had the Eagles gave him the money he wanted and deserved. I'd say that there's about a 20% chance Roy would've signed sign with the Cowboys. And the only reason its that high is because there was a small chance the Lions would've kept Roy but I doubt it.

khiladi

Reaction score
What does Jerry making a deal for a damn good WR have to do with the fact he isn't utilized by the 'genius' that is Garrett?The guy faces single-coverage. It doesn't take a genuis to throw him a couple fade-routes considering his size, especially in the red-zone. It worked against Tampa and Garrett hasn't used it since. It doesn't take a genius to have him run routes that favor his size. What the hell is our OC thinking?It makes me hurl...What JG can't run a couple plays to Roy WIlliams, where he is first in the progression?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I think Crayton is getting between them. :)

http://img412.*************/img412/8233/ch21sundec72008050110pmay1.jpg

rangers71

Reaction score
Blue&Silver;2478645 said:
How have we done since the trade? Moreover, how has Roy done? We are no more explosive on offense than we were before the trade. I call that a failure, and one that will strip us from young talent in future years. Wouldn't a decent backup quarterback have helped us? Or another DB, or safety? I want to win now, this trade was made for now, not two or three years from now.

Don't bother responding if you're just going to throw inaccurate crap out to try and prove your point.

I will respond. You said that Roy isn't fast. That is isn't right. He ran a 4.3at the combine. That is fast. What is your definition of fast? And by the way smart guy he did have the only touchdown against Tampa. Without him we lose that game. Are you telling me that we needed to make a trade for a a backup qb or DB? Tell me where you were going to get a qb at that time. It's very simple you weren't. Also at the time we were stocked fine at DB. The injury bug hadn't hit yet. I find it hard to believe that this is a failed trade. Promise me this though when Roy becomes a stud in this offense (whether that is this year or next or whenever) don't you dare come on here and say that you are glad he is here or be a fan of his since you have loudly proclaimed this a failure.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
bbgun;2478916 said:
I think Crayton is getting between them. :)

http://img412.*************/img412/8233/ch21sundec72008050110pmay1.jpg

:lmao2:

I love you man.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
rocyaice;2478672 said:
I don't know why people just assume that Roy Williams would've sign with the Cowboys after the season. Imagine if the Eagles had traded for him(they tried to) and they went deep into the playoffs? Because they're a Roy Williams away from being a legit contender. You think he would've left them? TO would've never left that team had the Eagles gave him the money he wanted and deserved. I'd say that there's about a 20% chance Roy would've signed sign with the Cowboys. And the only reason its that high is because there was a small chance the Lions would've kept Roy but I doubt it.
cause Hostile supposedly knows someone who knows Roy and has said Roy has wanted to be a Cowboy. also Jerry obviously felt the same way.

rangers71;2479520 said:
I will respond. You said that Roy isn't fast. That is isn't right. He ran a 4.3at the combine. That is fast. What is your definition of fast? And by the way smart guy he did have the only touchdown against Tampa. Without him we lose that game. Are you telling me that we needed to make a trade for a a backup qb or DB? Tell me where you were going to get a qb at that time. It's very simple you weren't. Also at the time we were stocked fine at DB. The injury bug hadn't hit yet. I find it hard to believe that this is a failed trade. Promise me this though when Roy becomes a stud in this offense (whether that is this year or next or whenever) don't you dare come on here and say that you are glad he is here or be a fan of his since you have loudly proclaimed this a failure.
players train for a month or 2 with olympic sprinters to improve there 40 time. the 40 time is such a joke especially when they don't even do it wearing pads.

rangers71

Reaction score
Rampage;2479542 said:
cause Hostile supposedly knows someone who knows Roy and has said Roy has wanted to be a Cowboy. also Jerry obviously felt the same way.

players train for a month or 2 with olympic sprinters to improve there 40 time. the 40 time is such a joke especially when they don't even do it wearing pads.

Maybe so but he is still fast. If this time doesn't prove it I don't know what does.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
rangers71;2479548 said:
Maybe so but he is still fast. If this time doesn't prove it I don't know what does.
it doesn't. but his 90 yard td against the eagles last year does.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Joe Realist;2477764 said:
I honestly thought he would help more next year than this year. But, I did not think he would not be utilized at all.

In some ways, Jerry Jones did panic. He was spooked that T.O. got old quick. We could have had him after this year and still kept our 1st round pick which will probably be in the 15-18 range. If we don't make the playoffs, it does look like a bad deal TODAY. Long term, RW will be fine but we could use those picks!

What do you guys think?

I feel the same way.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Roy's fast but he doesn't trust his speed on the field. He's constantly looking back and slowing himself down.