Where did you grade the Travis Frederick pick?

Ken

Reaction score
I seem to remember a lot of upset posters after this 1st round pick and the overall perception was they reached into the 1st for a 2nd grade because of need. The need then, if you recall, was after the owner had stated the QB he was extending was the only one that could play behind that OL. That was a self-generated need.

This was needs based as well, I have no question about that. With Green and Johnson gone and the Power 5 WR's gone, could the Cowboys really play the BPA game? Was the need not apparent?

One thing I would suggest is to back off on the overreaction and consider the track record of the Cowboys regarding OL in the last 11 years in the 1st round vs the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Nothing but hits in the 1st and mostly misses after that.

If they are going to "reach", and that is not known yet, wouldn't you rather have them do it on the OL?

I think it is interesting that it is complete now. The only OL position that they have not used a 1st on in the last 11 drafts is LG, where this Big Smitty II will play.

I am going track record with OL in the 1st round on this pick and taking a wait and see approach. He does have a little nasty to him and I like that.
Nobody liked it.

Anyone who says they didn't reach is lying.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have nothing against the kid we drafted and I hope he works out. He deserves a year or two to see what he is going to be. I do have a concern about where they drafted him since he would have been available in round 2. But I certainly don’t qualify as an NFL talent guru.

I do have a problem with the two clowns making the picks. Will McClay is the only thing separating us from being a Washington or NYJ disaster.

I always want the Cowboys to win. It’s just hard watching the same football dunces giggling and goofing in a press conference and expect any Cowboys fan- after 26 years and 3 playoff wins- to have any confidence.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i wasn't on this board but at the time i liked it.
i LOVE o-linemen...specially in rd1.
they are usually the safest picks and more hit than miss.
you can't go wrong taking an olineman.

but i knew damn well all this...dont take a wr we have real needs on the oline we must address with our premium pick wasn't real.
didnt matter who we took or where...lotta these same people will ***** about it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seem to remember a lot of upset posters after this 1st round pick and the overall perception was they reached into the 1st for a 2nd grade because of need. The need then, if you recall, was after the owner had stated the QB he was extending was the only one that could play behind that OL. That was a self-generated need.

This was needs based as well, I have no question about that. With Green and Johnson gone and the Power 5 WR's gone, could the Cowboys really play the BPA game? Was the need not apparent?

One thing I would suggest is to back off on the overreaction and consider the track record of the Cowboys regarding OL in the last 11 years in the 1st round vs the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Nothing but hits in the 1st and mostly misses after that.

If they are going to "reach", and that is not known yet, wouldn't you rather have them do it on the OL?

I think it is interesting that it is complete now. The only OL position that they have not used a 1st on in the last 11 drafts is LG, where this Big Smitty II will play.

I am going track record with OL in the 1st round on this pick and taking a wait and see approach. He does have a little nasty to him and I like that.
I'm always a wait and see guy. That's not so say I have no opinions, or may not be either excited or disappointed by a pick, but I neither condemn a pick or treat it as a sure thing until time passes and I get to see what the player has to offer. The NFL draft is much too uncertain to view it any other way.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I graded Frederick an A for the pick, a C for the position.

In hindsight I'd have made it an A+

I like a lot of people didn't hate the player, just felt he'd be available later. Might've been wrong on that one as I heard later that a few scouting departments were hot on him and he very likely wouldn't have made it to the Cowboys in the 2nd.

Man, I miss that guy. Him being healthy would solve a lot of problems right now.

conner01

Reaction score
Anytime a team drafts an OL from Wisconsin or Iowa in the 1st round, I think it is a good pick.
That is usually true
I loved the pick myself just because I felt we really needed a center and he was a good one. As much as I liked him he turned out to be even better than I imagined and it such a shame he didn’t get to put in a full career

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most of us didn’t like the Travis Frederick pick we felt it was a reach. It was reported that some teams had him rated in the third round. He turned out to be a great player for us. It’s unfortunate he suffered an illness that ended his career prematurely. That was the beginning of the problems on our OL.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Most of us didn’t like the Travis Frederick pick we felt it was a reach. It was reported that some teams had him rated in the third round. He turned out to be a great player for us. It’s unfortunate he suffered an illness that ended his career prematurely. That was the beginning of the problems on our OL.
He was on his way to a HOF career, sucks it was cut short. 5 time pro bowler, 3 time all pro

Reactions: KJJ

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have nothing against the kid we drafted and I hope he works out. He deserves a year or two to see what he is going to be. I do have a concern about where they drafted him since he would have been available in round 2. But I certainly don’t qualify as an NFL talent guru.

I do have a problem with the two clowns making the picks. Will McClay is the only thing separating us from being a Washington or NYJ disaster.

I always want the Cowboys to win. It’s just hard watching the same football dunces giggling and goofing in a press conference and expect any Cowboys fan- after 26 years and 3 playoff wins- to have any confidence.
They don't inspire confidence at all.... NONE....

JayFord

Reaction score
i graded it a B

he went to Wisconsin and we needed a center

didnt know much about him but we needed a center and wisconsin usually puts out good lineman

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with the O line coaching than I am the players this team drafts in the 1st round with regard to linemen.
The last three were HOF caliber picks, so I'll "wait & see" like some have mentioned.

Rounds after that, no faith whatsoever.

Pokeness

Reaction score
That's the whole point, Jerry's a riverboat gambler and his reach for Travis Frederick turned out good. But reaching doesn't always pan out. As a fan I hope Tyler Smith works out, but it is a riverboat gambler pick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I remember hating the T fred pick. Not because of the player but because dallas passed on Eric reid who i really really liked. And it also pissed me off they only got a mid round 3rd pick trading back from 18 to 31. Jerry got flecced in that trade. I was ok with the player at 31. His tape was very good i remember his combine being bad. Like really bad. Like running a 5.6 40 and like 22 bench reps.

kevinhickey

Reaction score

There is a difference between the two players. Travis could play from day one and Smith has some development that needs to happen before that happens. That sounds like boom or bust type of risk.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I had no issue with the Frederick pick. I had watched him work at Wisconsin and thought it was a great fit. As an old running back talented biguns up front is always a plus to me. I think Smith will turn out to be a good pick as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that the holding calls he got in college were largely a result of playing tackle and his not being as good in space thus reaching too much. Put him at guard and take advantage of his power and the fact that he will be next to Tyron for the next 2-3 years and I think we'll be in good shape. Then in two years he will either have developed enough to play tackle or be a dominant guard. Either way, it's a win.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is a huge difference between Travis Frederick and the Smith that we just drafted. This guy might turn out to be something but it's very much a big big reach

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Nobody liked it.

Anyone who says they didn't reach is lying.

I never speak in absolutes when dealing with human beings. Both these statements are false. I loved the pick and never thought of it as a reach but thought we should have gotten more in the trade.