Where did you grade the Travis Frederick pick?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I almost nailed Frederick. I had him in the early 2nd round. Loved the player. Couldn't understand why some had him in the 5th.

I didn't see him as a gutless quitter though.

On a side note, I also had Tyler Smith in the upper half of the 2nd round. The big difference is there were much better players on the board this time around than in 2013.
Yea , if Smith is a solid starter for 10 years then it’s a good pick. If not and the two guys we passed on immediately following either becomes a star then it will be criticized .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fredsy was rated as a late 1st/2nd round talent. He went exactly where he should have gone, the 31st pick in the draft. Anyone who thought it was a reach was simply not doing their homework. Great pick, and I thought so at the time.
Wasnt the great part of the trade we made to get Frederick is we also got a 3rd round pick we used on a WR. Forgot his name at the moment , hell getting old but he was from Baylor, but he was our starting 2nd receiver for years . It was a great trade down.

GMO415

Reaction score
Everyone balked at the Frederick pick. Hopefully history repeats itself here.

jnday

Reaction score
People were upset on here after we took ware over Merriman.

Truth is nobody knows how these guys pan out. Half these guys wont be in football in 5 years
Nobody knows and that includes me, so I don’t get upset with any of these picks. A few years ago, I watched a lot of games just to evaluate certain offensive linemen, but I don’t do that anymore.

dfense

Reaction score
I remember the talking heads ridiculing the pick. 3rd rounder, reach.

jnday

Reaction score
I loved the Frederick pick from day one. I thought he would have still been there a few picks later, but I thought he was going to be a great player in Dallas and it was better to draft him when they did. I had watched him for a couple of years before he was drafted and he was very impressive. I could see that he was probably as close to being a sure thing as there is. He was great at guard and center in college.

CWR

Reaction score
yea i remember folks weren't happy about the frederick pick. lots of chatter about reach and all that. i didn't know much about him so i was on the fence...seeing how wrong we all were gives me hope on this smith pick but we'll see.

I was disappointed initially, then I dug in and saw he was the best center in the class. At that point I decided to wait and see. The know it alls on here are wrong quite a bit. It's hard for me to listen to how self assured some guys are when it comes to projecting these players, because history has proven its almost impossible to do it with any degree of accuracy.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I remember Frederick was the top rated OC in the draft. The cause for concern was more around drafting a OC in the 1st round. I believe Biadasz was also the top rated and he went in the 4th. The difference with Tyler Smith is that his game tape is terrible, from what I’ve heard and seen a little of. Usually you draft raw but physically talented players later in the draft.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I remember after the pick, a fan had a sign on tv that said can we trade our picks for a new gm.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I seem to remember a lot of upset posters after this 1st round pick and the overall perception was they reached into the 1st for a 2nd grade because of need. The need then, if you recall, was after the owner had stated the QB he was extending was the only one that could play behind that OL. That was a self-generated need.

This was needs based as well, I have no question about that. With Green and Johnson gone and the Power 5 WR's gone, could the Cowboys really play the BPA game? Was the need not apparent?

One thing I would suggest is to back off on the overreaction and consider the track record of the Cowboys regarding OL in the last 11 years in the 1st round vs the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Nothing but hits in the 1st and mostly misses after that.

If they are going to "reach", and that is not known yet, wouldn't you rather have them do it on the OL?

I think it is interesting that it is complete now. The only OL position that they have not used a 1st on in the last 11 drafts is LG, where this Big Smitty II will play.

I am going track record with OL in the 1st round on this pick and taking a wait and see approach. He does have a little nasty to him and I like that.
No one that knows football did not like the pick (Fredrick was my top rated player in the 2nd round and BAPON). The way they did it was strange and over the top. If they were afraid of the Ravens drafting him slide down 2 spots, then another 2 spots pick up picks and just draft him at the bottom half of the 1st round. They could have package the extra picks to trade back up for other BAPON that was higher rated on the board.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I seem to remember a lot of upset posters after this 1st round pick and the overall perception was they reached into the 1st for a 2nd grade because of need. The need then, if you recall, was after the owner had stated the QB he was extending was the only one that could play behind that OL. That was a self-generated need.

This was needs based as well, I have no question about that. With Green and Johnson gone and the Power 5 WR's gone, could the Cowboys really play the BPA game? Was the need not apparent?

One thing I would suggest is to back off on the overreaction and consider the track record of the Cowboys regarding OL in the last 11 years in the 1st round vs the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Nothing but hits in the 1st and mostly misses after that.

If they are going to "reach", and that is not known yet, wouldn't you rather have them do it on the OL?

I think it is interesting that it is complete now. The only OL position that they have not used a 1st on in the last 11 drafts is LG, where this Big Smitty II will play.

I am going track record with OL in the 1st round on this pick and taking a wait and see approach. He does have a little nasty to him and I like that.

Yeah b/c Kaawan Short was staring us in the face and Freddie could have been taken with the Escobar pick. The only person more surprised than fans we took him at 31 was his agent.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Frederick didn’t have glaring technique issues and a penchant for flags like Tyler Smith.

Folks took umbrage with Frederick because he wasn’t a sexy pick and didn’t know who he was at the time. Nobody thought T-Fred couldn’t play.

With Smith I have serious doubts about his ability to play early. He is a bag of tools right now. The problem is we need a Day 1 starter at OG. Sure, we can plug him in but he’ll be playing a new position against better talent while trying develop. That is not a recipe for success.

Unless I’m missing someone, Tyler Smith is the biggest boom or bust pick we’ve had in R1 that I can remember.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seeing as how Tyler Smith had a Wonderlic score of 30, he should be able to grasp what's told to him in adjusting to his technical needs. He's already made it clear in his initial comments that he's willing to listen to whatever he's advised to do to improve technically. That's a big positive for him, imho. Intelligence and willingness to adjust to whatever might be required of him will always be a plus for any young rookie. I like the + attitude in him! :)

Last edited: