Where did you grade the Travis Frederick pick?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CouchCoach, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Cowpolk

Cowpolk Landry Hat

15,149 Messages
    23,023 Likes Received
    I wanted Green but am happy with the selection he is a need And he is mean. Good trait for an Olineman to have

jnday likes this.
  2. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

45,965 Messages
    28,147 Likes Received
    Yea , if Smith is a solid starter for 10 years then it’s a good pick. If not and the two guys we passed on immediately following either becomes a star then it will be criticized .

3. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

45,965 Messages
    28,147 Likes Received
    Wasnt the great part of the trade we made to get Frederick is we also got a 3rd round pick we used on a WR. Forgot his name at the moment , hell getting old but he was from Baylor, but he was our starting 2nd receiver for years . It was a great trade down.

Cowpolk likes this.
  4. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

13,313 Messages
    20,884 Likes Received
    Everyone balked at the Frederick pick. Hopefully history repeats itself here.

5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

13,975 Messages
    10,936 Likes Received
    Nobody knows and that includes me, so I don’t get upset with any of these picks. A few years ago, I watched a lot of games just to evaluate certain offensive linemen, but I don’t do that anymore.

6. StarOfGlory

StarOfGlory Well-Known Member

1,923 Messages
    1,894 Likes Received
    I'm still salty Morris Claiborne was picked as I screamed at the TV for Fletcher Cox.

TheHerd likes this.
  7. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

8,539 Messages
    5,904 Likes Received
    I remember the talking heads ridiculing the pick. 3rd rounder, reach.

8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

13,975 Messages
    10,936 Likes Received
    I loved the Frederick pick from day one. I thought he would have still been there a few picks later, but I thought he was going to be a great player in Dallas and it was better to draft him when they did. I had watched him for a couple of years before he was drafted and he was very impressive. I could see that he was probably as close to being a sure thing as there is. He was great at guard and center in college.

TheHerd and CWR like this.
  9. CWR

CWR Well-Known Member

18,159 Messages
    26,595 Likes Received
    I was disappointed initially, then I dug in and saw he was the best center in the class. At that point I decided to wait and see. The know it alls on here are wrong quite a bit. It's hard for me to listen to how self assured some guys are when it comes to projecting these players, because history has proven its almost impossible to do it with any degree of accuracy.

dagreat1_87 likes this.
  10. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    11,775 Likes Received
    I remember Frederick was the top rated OC in the draft. The cause for concern was more around drafting a OC in the 1st round. I believe Biadasz was also the top rated and he went in the 4th. The difference with Tyler Smith is that his game tape is terrible, from what I’ve heard and seen a little of. Usually you draft raw but physically talented players later in the draft.

TheHerd likes this.
  11. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Well-Known Member

2,319 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    I remember after the pick, a fan had a sign on tv that said can we trade our picks for a new gm.

12. eromeopolk

eromeopolk Well-Known Member

3,252 Messages
    3,378 Likes Received
    No one that knows football did not like the pick (Fredrick was my top rated player in the 2nd round and BAPON). The way they did it was strange and over the top. If they were afraid of the Ravens drafting him slide down 2 spots, then another 2 spots pick up picks and just draft him at the bottom half of the 1st round. They could have package the extra picks to trade back up for other BAPON that was higher rated on the board.

13. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    14,179 Messages
    19,020 Likes Received
    Yeah b/c Kaawan Short was staring us in the face and Freddie could have been taken with the Escobar pick. The only person more surprised than fans we took him at 31 was his agent.

14. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

22,698 Messages
    36,120 Likes Received
    Frederick didn’t have glaring technique issues and a penchant for flags like Tyler Smith.

Folks took umbrage with Frederick because he wasn’t a sexy pick and didn’t know who he was at the time. Nobody thought T-Fred couldn’t play.

With Smith I have serious doubts about his ability to play early. He is a bag of tools right now. The problem is we need a Day 1 starter at OG. Sure, we can plug him in but he’ll be playing a new position against better talent while trying develop. That is not a recipe for success.

Unless I’m missing someone, Tyler Smith is the biggest boom or bust pick we’ve had in R1 that I can remember.

15. Bullflop

Bullflop Cowboys Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    22,359 Messages
    27,472 Likes Received
    Seeing as how Tyler Smith had a Wonderlic score of 30, he should be able to grasp what's told to him in adjusting to his technical needs. He's already made it clear in his initial comments that he's willing to listen to whatever he's advised to do to improve technically. That's a big positive for him, imho. Intelligence and willingness to adjust to whatever might be required of him will always be a plus for any young rookie. I like the + attitude in him! :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022