Where do sayings come form and how many does it take to catch on?

Winonesoon

Reaction score
"in your own words" WTH does that mean? You have words different than others? :huh::huh::angry::muttley:I've never made up new word in my life. They were God given.

Is it a literal insult or does it just simply mean "As you see it"?

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"in your own words" WTH does that mean? You have words different than others? :huh::huh::angry::muttley:I've never made up new word in my life. They were God given.

Is it a literal insult or does it just simply mean "As you see it"?
It means "don't just copy what someone else said." For instance, don't plagiarize.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't give me all of that who shot John. This saying was around well before JFK was even born.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Mom's two favorites to use on me were:

"You'd argue with a sign post". See the legally drunk one above.

"You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope". This was the most perplexing one because a) I would be dead and B) an old frayed rope might break and I could scamper off but the most disturbing part was talking about hanging me. No question about it, I was a handful but none of it deserved such harsh and permanent punishment.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Dad's best friend when I was growing up had two that I liked but didn't understand the second one until I was older.

"He's as sharp as a mashed potato sandwich".

"You listen to him and you'll be wearing straw hats in the winter time". Men used to wear hats and they were seasonal like white shoes for women shouldn't be worn after Labor Day lest they run into Kathleen Turner near a phone booth.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
:huh:
You are what you do. A thief is a thief and a liar is a liar. So I'm going to judge his butt by his own actions and I don't have to walk a mile in his shoes to do that.