Where do you stand on Garrett and why?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'll clap like a chimp (much like Red) when Garrett is finally gone...nice guy, has ZERO clue how to be a head coach of a football team on game day....

...imagine just how good this team would be if they had a legit, forward-thinking head coach?

granted, with jones in charge, that not likely to happen since THAT person would get the credit for any success, not jones
At least you realize it’s not a real possibility.

I understand the frustration but as with anyone in a dysfunctional situation faced with handicaps which are insurmountable we must lower the Bar and set more realistic expectations.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When was the last time we had a Super Bowl caliber team?

Ultimately, nothing he has done since he has been here has moved us in that direction at all. Especially if you contend that the greatest assets that he presents are not even on the football field.
I didn’t say his greatest assets weren’t on the football field. I said for 60 minutes. Big difference.

While his contributions on Game Day are subject to much criticism and in question his assets in influencing our ownership building the talent and current culture are to be applauded.

And I’d say we haven’t had a SB caliber team since 1996.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It took Garrett 3 years on the job to learn when to call a timeout. He manages the game to kick FGs. Ultra conservative with all this talent. It's taken him 7 years to start going for it on 4th down in opponents territory, and if it's a big game or close he might punt or FG.

Ready to move on.

Pants

Reaction score
At least you realize it’s not a real possibility.

I understand the frustration but as with anyone in a dysfunctional situation faced with handicaps which are insurmountable we must lower the Bar and set more realistic expectations.

correct, not a real possibility - if Dallas goes far in the playoffs it will be despite garrett, not because of him - the only, I mean ONLY thing that could change that is the health of Jones...if he feels he is kicking the bucket soon, then perhaps he swallows his pride and hires a legit football mind as head coach - can't see that happening

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I didn’t say his greatest assets weren’t on the football field. I said for 60 minutes. Big difference.

While his contributions on Game Day are subject to much criticism and in question his assets in influencing our ownership building the talent and current culture are to be applauded.

And I’d say we haven’t had a SB caliber team since 1996.

I respectfully disagree.

This culture hasn’t gotten us anywhere. And as you mentioned, we weren’t even a .500 team before we acquired Cooper. So how talented were we? Where are the results of this impressive talent influx and culture shock?

We haven’t had a Super Bowl caliber team since the nineties but nothing has changed in the last 10 years with the tenure of Jason Garrett to amount to anything.

It’s not been a year. It’s been almost 10. He’s here because he minds Jerry. It’s that simple.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree.

This culture hasn’t gotten us anywhere. And as you mentioned, we weren’t even a .500 team before we acquired Cooper. So how talented were we? Where are the results of this impressive talent influx and culture shock?

We haven’t had a Super Bowl caliber team since the nineties but nothing has changed in the last 10 years with the tenure of Jason Garrett to amount to anything.

It’s not been a year. It’s been almost 10. He’s here because he minds Jerry. It’s that simple.
Your using Super Bowl caliber as the only measurement .

As I mentioned in another post and have for years this is not the once storied franchise. The Bar has been lowered with Jerry’s ways. I’m not sure we can expect much more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
correct, not a real possibility - if Dallas goes far in the playoffs it will be despite garrett, not because of him - the only, I mean ONLY thing that could change that is the health of Jones...if he feels he is kicking the bucket soon, then perhaps he swallows his pride and hires a legit football mind as head coach - can't see that happening
Right

We’ve been talent dependent really since Jimmy left with the possible exception under Bill.

Yep ... pretty much stuck with Jerry until he’s gone. But I agree. I don’t ever see Jerry stepping down and allowing a normal situation.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Your using Super Bowl caliber as the only measurement .

As I mentioned in another post and have for years this is not the once storied franchise. The Bar has been lowered with Jerry’s ways. I’m not sure we can expect much more.

You are right. Jerry’s ways have brought us down. However, one coach brought us glory in spite of Jerry and that is the example that has really defined every other coach that Jerry has brought in since.

It’s a different game now. Way different. I just think the results speak for themselves. Ultimately, until something happens at the very top then we won’t have the type of culture and coach that will get us where we want to go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are right. Jerry’s ways have brought us down. However, one coach brought us glory in spite of Jerry and that is the example that has really defined every other coach that Jerry has brought in since.

It’s a different game now. Way different. I just think the results speak for themselves. Ultimately, until something happens at the very top then we won’t have the type of culture and coach that will get us where we want to go.
I’d agree. Unfortunately winning championships wasn’t enough with Jimmy as Jerry is pursuing more credit himself as a Football Guy and why unless we need support for a new stadium or we hit rock bottom financially Jerry isn’t going to pursue the caliber HC we’d want.

It’s why I’ve become more supportive of Garrett as I haven’t seen a better culture here with any other Puppet. Ultimately I believe talent is our best solution to stay competitive.

And Garretts connection to our storied past playing for Jimmy and his dad a scout with Landry gives me something to root for I didn’t have with other puppets.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Landry would get the same criticism the last few years of his tenure if the Internet was around back then
Yep

The Internet and Social Media provides every Moron a voice.

But Landry was heavily criticized in his early years and later years. It just wasn’t broadcasted 24-7.

Even during his glory years probably would have been bashed by trolls and opposing haters for losing so many championships.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Landry would get the same criticism the last few years of his tenure if the Internet was around back then
No doubt but at least the criticism would have been he lost it because in his prime he was one of the best coaches in NFL history. Garrett has done nothing as an NFL coach. If you were to do the history of the NFL I doubt he'd even get a mention other than the fact the Cowboys fell short once again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you believe Dak is already a winner or winning then I’m not sure why you wouldn’t see Garrett as doing so as well?

If not then it comes down to a Super Bowl or Bust mentality. That apparently is the only measurement some have of the overall job Garrett is doing here?

As usual it’s a very vocal group who is blaming Garrett for not taking this team deeper in the playoffs which as usual there’s several contributing factors.

Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?

I have been one of the biggest critics of Garrett on this board. My opinion of him changed a bit after watching “All or Nothing.” It showed that the players truly like and respect him. To me, that is 90% of the job of the head coach: to motivate players to play for him. Where Garrett has completely failed IMO is with the simplicity of the schemes his offensive and defensive coordinators run, and their lack of week-to-week game planning and halftime adjustments. It seems as if Garrett is stuck in the 1990s and believes that the key to winning is just execution of the same few plays, not scheming with different plays and formations every week (like NE)... this year, I am hopeful it will be different (and I have not been optimistic like this before). I believe that Moore, and to a lesser extent Richard, were hired to make our schemes, gameplans, and playcalling less predictable. And usher this team into the 21st century, finally. As Jerry has said, we have a too talented roster not to have better results in the playoffs. We’ll see. But it was music to my ears to hear a Boise State coach once describe the offense Moore will run as: “we don’t have a system. We have plays.” Meaning: we don’t do the same thing every week. We game plan based on the opponent. Again, we’ll see. But IMO this will be the defining year, good or bad, of Garrett’s tenure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No doubt but at least the criticism would have been he lost it because in his prime he was one of the best coaches in NFL history. Garrett has done nothing as an NFL coach. If you were to do the history of the NFL I doubt he'd even get a mention other than the fact the Cowboys fell short once again.
Garrett with his tenure now only Landry has more victories in Cowboy history. He’s the winningest HC in the Puppet era.

This “ has done nothing” is another example of the Super Bowl or Bust mentality.

JayFord

Reaction score
I don't understand how Wade was fired and JG was promoted when JG was part of the team's problems.

Garrett was always going to be the HC they bought in wade because they felt Garrett wasn’t ready

However I feel like you.....Garrett shoulda been fired back in 2010 when wade was let go

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Garrett was always going to be the HC they bought in wade because they felt Garrett wasn’t ready

However I feel like you.....Garrett shoulda been fired back in 2010 when wade was let go
And that was a big mistake. You don't hire your HC in waiting before your HC. It completely undermined Wade. And that was a complete failure.