Where do you stand on Garrett and why?

pancakeman

Reaction score
More than capable as a motivator of men.
Unimpressive as a tactician.
I think the Cowboys could go all the way if Garrett's culture-creating efforts are complemented by some really smart scheming and adjustments. Which is why next season stands or falls with Kellen Moore's performance.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The traits you mentioned is how you feel does not make them facts. I don't think he is arrogant nor do I think he back stabbed anyone. Myself I like Garrett and hope he can get this team over the hump and win a title. I also have no issue with him being fired if he fails.
Have you ever met him or Wade? I have, the summer before the backstabbing took place. Talked to Wade for about three hours that afternoon. Garrett was a first class prick that day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Have you ever met him or Wade? I have, the summer before the backstabbing took place. Talked to Wade for about three hours that afternoon. Garrett was a first class prick that day.

Sorry that is how you feel but because you came away with that view does not mean much

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I was high on Garrett initially. Had a tag line that said he would get us to the NFC Championship in four years.
But I soon realized he isn't really innovative. He's trying to recapture the magic of the 90s with the same strategy, and the NFL has passed him by.
He needs a perfect team to get to the Super Bowl. But if that's the case, he really doesn't give us an advantage.
I say this is a make-or-break year for him. He has to win this year, or he's gone. Simply too much talent on this roster for him to fail.
If we had a Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson, we likely would have been in the Super Bowl three years ago.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Garrett is fine. He has the 2nd most wins in the league the last 3 seasons after Belichick. But he needs to make a deep playoff run this year given the talent level of the team.

visionary

Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?

Please address Garrett's mother with respect

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Game management is huge, cannot adjust on the fly during a game. Also, game planning in the playoffs, other teams know exactly what we are doing, thus the lack of playoff success. And another thing besides the gun chewing, butt slapping, clapping and grinning when players do not execute, his press conferences drive me nuts. "It's a process - we're gonna plan to plan to get better", etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When I open the thread stating it was a serious question all I can say is how disappointing, this is not a serious thread it is another hit job like a thousand others around here. I get it there are many members who do not like Garrett and that is fine but really we need another so called serious trashing thread? lol

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Most if you know I think Garrett sucks, and those of you that have been around for a while know my reasoning. In a nutshell, I think he's arrogant, back stabbed Wade, and has no clue how to properly manage the flow of a game and much less during crunch time. @Idgit is on the other side of the spectrum. He loves his red headed Jesus. Why? I have no clue. Where do you stand and why?
I love how people say Garrett stabbed Wade in the back. Was it not Wade's defense getting pounded into the ground? Garrett was not the DC, Wade was. Wade is a great DC but as a HC, he sucks, proved it a couple times!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I love how people say Garrett stabbed Wade in the back. Was it not Wade's defense getting pounded into the ground? Garrett was not the DC, Wade was. Wade is a great DC but as a HC, he sucks, proved it a couple times!

Come on you know Wade was back stabbed every where he was a HC. lol

Fire407

Reaction score
The fans in LA love Wade. He gets invited to speak at events and he gets cheered every time he walks onto the field. He's only the DC but he has been to a couple of Super Bowls since getting fired. I keep hearing on here that he got fired for having camp cupcake and the players quit on him. Garrett is the guy that has to be one of the guys. He likes to be seen throwing the ball at every practice and before every game. He is more of a buddy than a coach.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just feel he never earned the job to begin with. Neither did any of his brothers who we also employ. I came from a poor household and had to work for everything I had with actual job performance and ability. He and his brothers skated their whole life on daddy's coattails. Even when he transferred from college to college when his dad would change jobs. Now as a father now I don't blame his dad for helping his kids out. I blame the employer. He's now wasted 9 years learning on the job when we could have brought in a real coach with ability. It's the one thing in the league without a salary cap, we have the most $$, but the worst coaching staff.
lol - we don't have the worst coaching staff.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
lol - we don't have the worst coaching staff.
One of the worst staff's in the NFL. an 0-16 coach as our D coord. A head coach that is average at best but has iced his own kicker to lose a game and miss the playoffs. And an offensive coordinator that was a sex slave to a garbage coach that we just fired. All around pretty bad. Maybe not the worst

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
One of the worst staff's in the NFL. an 0-16 coach as our D coord. A head coach that is average at best but has iced his own kicker to lose a game and miss the playoffs. And an offensive coordinator that was a sex slave to a garbage coach that we just fired. All around pretty bad. Maybe not the worst
Well that just blew my innocence out of the water for the day!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to be an avid supporter of Garrett when he first came in as OC and then HC; mostly because they were winning. Given JJ's interference, it was difficult to gauge his effectiveness. I think he kept the team focused through some of the turmoil that resulted from JJ's earlier draft choices and free agent signings. That area has improved. While it's not Garrett's fault that Romo went down, it's Garrett's fault that Romo had to improvise the offense when he was here.

But, now that the team has stabilized somewhat, I see his conservative, one dimensional, out-coached schemes as not enough for what this hungry team needs. Recently, some of his hiring decisions have resulted in failure, his playbook (which was a joint effort with Linehan) is disappointing, and his game management has cost us. He didn't earn his spurs as a true assistant, and it shows.

I really don't know who else would come in as a head coach under Jerry's thumb, so I hope Garret gets out of KM's way and gives him a chance. If he allows the team to succeed, no harm done.

ghst187

Reaction score

See my sig....

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Garrett is weak and doesn't know how to coach in-game, we've seen this over and over again. 4th & 1 and we run to the Rams strength. He should have spoken up and over-ruled Linehan. Not going for it with the game on the line...etc. If he sees something he needs to take charge to win.

On the flip side, I don't think the Jones' do any good to the head coach by neutering him in public. But if Garrett weren't weak, the Jones' would know not to do this to their coach. They would hear an earful if he had any balls and stood up for himself. It's just a dysfunctional situation, and the Jones' have the perfect coach for it.

Hence, Garrett sucks
Yeah, Jerry still hasn't learned some lessons - he just can't zip it when needed. As ineffective as Garrett has become, he had his chances along the way to keep his balls, but chose to stay with the emasculation. Must be some powerful incentive or weird subconscious desire involved.

Tommy

Reaction score
The defense completely fell apart before Wade was fired. They quit playing. Garrett didn’t coach the defense.

Somehow even that was all part of a master plan by Garrett to sabotage him.

But let’s continue with our serious conversation.