Where does Dak Prescott rank among QBs in NFL?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I rather have a team that scores 30 points a game to protect my defense. But Prescott doesn't have this ability so the offense has to play smash mouth to protect their QB.
No we play Smash Mouth so we don't overexpose the young defense. Do you know anything about this franchise whatsoever

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So Mahomes gets criticized for being "rattled" by a Belichick defense as a first year starter in a conference championship game while throwing for more yards, more td's and a higher rating then Dak did in his playoff loss at the end of his third full year as a starter.

Mahomes gets blame while Dak gets praise.

If Dak had put up the same numbers as rattled Mahomes did the Cowboys win.

There isn't a coach or GM on the planet that wouldn't take Mahomes over Dak.

Come on man.
Mahomes lost that game. Because he took himself out of field-goal range. Prescott doesn't lose games. He might not win them but he doesn't lose them. Big difference. Screw Mahomes

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No we play Smash Mouth so we don't overexpose the young defense. Do you know anything about this franchise whatsoever

The fact is there is no one way, and one way only to win. A team can control the clock and win, and a team can be more wide open and win, assuming other areas of the team are good enough.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is why I don't rank him higher. If He was dominatevor even slightly capable then he wouldn't have to be so great in 4th quarter. What's wrong with 35-14 scores
Seriously. They don't turn him loose until the 4th quarter. How do you not know that. The first three quarters we play Smash Mouth. And then we give it the Prescott to win. Where do you people come from you understand anything at all about this franchise

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Awesome! You have provided the quintessential example of Dakaholic "logic" and "reasoning".

I quote,
"He (Dak) might not win them but he doesn't lose them".

My guess is that you really don't understand what you are saying with that comment.

@Whirlwin

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I don't understand the "Dak is a winner" mantra.
Just scratching the surface, it seems to make sense to conclude that Dallas goes as its defense goes. After all, from 2016-18 the Cowboys rank 4th in points allowed in the regular season, and only 12th in points scored. But that doesn't really tell the story. Offensive ball control is the big reason behind those rankings, as no defense faced fewer opponent's drives over those three years than Dallas. Actually the Cowboys only rank 14th in TD allowed per drive over that time -- the defense just hasn't had to face many drives, because the offense led the league with the longest average possession at 3 minutes even.

In 2018 especially, the team's plan was to play conservative for three quarters to protect its own defense, then let loose in the 4th, when the defense was out of gas. Dak's ability to flip a switch and become much more aggressive late in close games played a big part in this strategy, because it allowed the defense to go all out for three quarters.

Dal OPPONENT drives ending in TD
1st-3rd qtr 17.6% (4th)
4th qtr/OT 31.4% (28th)

4th qtr/OT, margin 8 pts or less
15+yd targets as % of all attempts
Prescott 26%
NFL avg 21%

12+88=7

Reaction score
That's a good way of saying in one line what it took me about twenty.

The defense is good enough, this year it could be top 5, that it doesn't need protection.

The best way to protect this defense is score 30 points a game, have the opposing team become one dimensional, and then release the hounds.

That "protect the defense by running the ball" was when Dallas was getting their defensive pieces together, that's done. The pieces are in place. Now it's up to the offense to hold up their end.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense is good enough, this year it could be top 5, that it doesn't need protection.

The best way to protect this defense is score 30 points a game, have the opposing team become one dimensional, and then release the hounds.

That "protect the defense by running the ball" was when Dallas was getting their defensive pieces together, that's done. The pieces are in place. Now it's up to the offense to hold up their end.

That may be true, but teams have to determine an offensive scheme/style/identity because they can't retool every year depending on what the defense is going to look like. They can, however, tweak things within the same general scheme/style/identity, and of course changes were planned anyway with Moore stepping in as OC, so this is a good time to look at what makes sense.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Seriously. They don't turn him loose until the 4th quarter. How do you not know that. The first three quarters we play Smash Mouth. And then we give it the Prescott to win. Where do you people come from you understand anything at all about this franchise

The problem you have is you believe your point is undeniably correct and anyone who doesn't see it, doesn't have your football acumen.

The reality is that 99.99999% of opinions by fans, commentators, or those in the NFL don't see your side of the discussion, that Prescott is a top tier, elite QB.

Prescott is a middle of the pack QB. That's it, but you will never see it.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

That "protect the defense by running the ball" was when Dallas was getting their defensive pieces together, that's done. The pieces are in place.
Wish that were true, but the pieces aren't all there yet. Right now this is a defense that relies on speed and doesn't have much depth. With the offense's TOP giving it few drives to face and keeping it rested, that's enough to make it an elite defense through 3 quarters. But out of gas by the 4th.

Dal OPPONENT drives ending in TD, 2018
1st-3rd qtr 17.6% (4th)
4th qtr/OT 31.4% (28th)

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What about as a great guy? Or as a guy with really cool dance moves? Or as a paint by the numbers artist?

His character is as high as some of these homers who think he's a top 10 QB.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The problem you have is you believe your point is undeniably correct and anyone who doesn't see it, doesn't have your football acumen.

The reality is that 99.99999% of opinions by fans, commentators, or those in the NFL don't see your side of the discussion, that Prescott is a top tier, elite QB.

Yes praise Mahomes and slam Prescott LMAO go back to Philadelphia

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Because I care about the NFL Network's and what they have to say LMAO. He's the best quarterback in his class make no mistake about that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I totally disagree I think you're wrong. You put up 30 points means you're scoring too fast and you're leaving your defense on the field too long. Someone is not comprehending that's giving your opponent the opportunity to do the same. He played ball control in your winning in the 4th quarter. That's how you win in today's NFL

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The fact is there is no one way, and one way only to win. A team can control the clock and win, and a team can be more wide open and win, assuming other areas of the team are good enough.
There is no one way I totally agree. But the way we play is the way we play. And people still don't understand it. Doesn't mean I like it but it's what we do. I can't wait to see what the new offense is going to look like