Where does Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ranking Dak right now doesn't really make a lot of sense because their has been a dramatic shift in how most view Dak based on a mere 2 games. People who may rate him anywhere from 7-10 now may have ranked him anywhere from 5-10 spots lower at the end of last season.

That's not to say that the current perception is wrong, it's just that it isn't supported by enough of a sample size to cement it in.

Nav22

Reaction score
Well, sure, in year 10 we'll know. But as you say, it's only year 4. I'll skip through most of it and just note that you agree that it's not just based on draft position, which was your original argument. So that's good.

I put no stock in QB winning percentage. It's a team sport, and we can evaluate QB performance perfectly fine without confusing it with other stuff. I also put no stock in media reports on locker room whining. Intangibles don't count for much, and to the extent that they do, we have no legitimate way to evaluate them. Performance is what matters.

At his best, Wentz is a top-tier QB. We've seen it. At his best, Dak is a top-tier QB. We've seen it. Their careers have a long way to go. Personally, I'd bet on Dak because of durability. But I'm not as certain about that answer (or as committed to it) as you seem to be.
You’re cherry-picking. Why shouldn’t we compare their entire careers thus far? Dak has been better overall and “we’ve seen it”.

It also can’t be ignored that in Wentz’s 1 elite season, he got hurt and the team dominated the postseason with his backup. A similar storyline played out last year as well, when Wentz was a mediocre 5-6 before Foles put him to shame by going 4-1 and winning a playoff game. Do you think Nick Foles is an elite QB? Why were the Eagles better with Foles than with Wentz? Would Dak receive even 1 SHRED of credit for a great regular season if he got hurt late in the year, leading to Cooper Rush filling in and winning the Super Bowl?

QB record matters, like it or not. The list of QBs with the highest win % is littered with all-time greats and Hall of Famers for a reason. Very strong correlation between strong QB play and winning.

Intangibles matter a ton, even if they can’t be quantified. Otherwise Jeff George would’ve been a Hall of Fame QB. Tom Brady is in year 20 and you’ve NEVER heard a current or former teammate of his rip him for a lack of leadership. You think that’s a coincidence? Why is that shameful distinction only reserved for Wentz?

You say “performance is what matters” and I agree. Draft status and potential mean nothing at this point. Through 3+ years, Dak >>> Wentz based on their performances.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
How would you Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL: ?
this is how I see it per my list:

1 tom brady

2 pat mahomes

3 aaron Rodgers

4 drew brees

5 russell Wilson

6 jared goff

7 carson wentz

8 Dak Prescott

9 phillip rivers

10 matt ryan

11 deshaun Watson

12 matthew stafford

13 kirk cousin, minn

14 ben roethlisberger pitt

15 kyle murray ??

honorable mention: sam Donaldson, mitch tribisky, derek carr, jimmy Garoppolo, niners
Wentz? Lol....some of you need to do more watching than listening to media hype.....Wentz isn't even in the same zip code as Dak is.

quickccc

Reaction score
Oh, so the supporting cast argument only works 1 way, when it benefits Wentz. Got it.

In 2017, which team was more stacked? Dallas or the Philly team that still won the Super Bowl after Wentz got hurt?

Consider this:

People are debating Dak vs Wentz, right? It’s a debate that pundits, fans, ex-players and coaches etc. are split on overall. If there were a national poll conducted today, it’d be close.

Now compare their resumes, records, stats, intangibles, etc... while pretending for just 1 second that Dak was the #2 overall pick and Wentz was the 4th rounder.

Would there be ANY DEBATE WHATSOEVER as to who the better QB has been???

I hear ya,
- I do look at what they have to work with , and we are currently seeing how surrounding cast and better coaching works things out much better,
..and when you have mediocre receivers around as Wentz (considered among the
worst unit in NFL his rookie year )
and Matthews is your best vs Dak having a productive Dez (at the time) that’s a substantial advantage.
And we’re not even mentioning what advantage having zeke in the same backfield.

- And consider this: if Dak was 4th overall on the Eagles with only Sproles/Ertz as legit weapons….. ..and Wentz picked in the 4th rounder by the Cowboys (as Dak was) and had Dez, Beasley
and witten .. and of course zeke ?

Nav22

Reaction score
I hear ya,
- I do look at what they have to work with , and we are currently seeing how surrounding cast and better coaching works things out much better,
..and when you have mediocre receivers around as Wentz (considered among the
worst unit in NFL his rookie year )
and Matthews is your best vs Dak having a productive Dez (at the time) that’s a substantial advantage.
And we’re not even mentioning what advantage having zeke in the same backfield.

- And consider this: if Dak was 4th overall on the Eagles with only Sproles/Ertz as legit weapons….. ..and Wentz picked in the 4th rounder by the Cowboys (as Dak was) and had Dez, Beasley
and witten .. and of course zeke ?
That’s cute. Beasley? LOL! Dez wasn’t even productive in 2016, but nice try.

Philly was so stacked in 2017 that Wentz’s backup won the Super Bowl.

Wentz was a mediocre 5-6 in 2018 and everyone blamed his supporting cast... UNTIL Nick Foles went 4-1 and won a playoff game with the same team.

But by all means, keep making excuses for the guy.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
You’re cherry-picking. Why shouldn’t we compare their entire careers thus far? Dak has been better overall and “we’ve seen it”.
Because the question is about the future, not to date.
It also can’t be ignored that in Wentz’s 1 elite season, he got hurt and the team dominated the postseason with his backup. A similar storyline played out last year as well, when Wentz was a mediocre 5-6 before Foles put him to shame by going 4-1 and winning a playoff game. Do you think Nick Foles is an elite QB? Why were the Eagles better with Foles than with Wentz? Would Dak receive even 1 SHRED of credit for a great regular season if he got hurt late in the year, leading to Cooper Rush filling in and winning the Super Bowl?
Dak would receive plenty of credit from me. I really don't care what others' opinions of the situation would be. As for the other stuff, which part of "team sport" did you not understand?
QB record matters, like it or not. The list of QBs with the highest win % is littered with all-time greats and Hall of Famers for a reason. Very strong correlation between strong QB play and winning.
QB performance matters. We don't need to look at QB record to prove anything when we have much much better measures available to us.
Intangibles matter a ton, even if they can’t be quantified. Otherwise Jeff George would’ve been a Hall of Fame QB. Tom Brady is in year 20 and you’ve NEVER heard a current or former teammate of his rip him for a lack of leadership. You think that’s a coincidence? Why is that shameful distinction only reserved for Wentz?
If you can't quantify them, how do you know they matter "a ton"? Jeff George isn't a HOFer because his performance wasn't good; what in the world makes you think that if he had a better personality but the same crummy performance, he'd be in the HoF? If intangibles don't show up in performance on the field, why should I care about them?
You say “performance is what matters” and I agree.
You sure don't seem to, based on all this intangibles and QB winning % stuff you keep throwing out there.
Draft status and potential mean nothing at this point. Through 3+ years, Dak >>> Wentz based on their performances.
But that was never the question. It's, "who will be better going forward?" I expect Dak to be, because I don't think Wentz will stay healthy and I think the injuries will end up lowering his ceiling. But there's definitely a possible future where Wentz gets healthy and plays like he did in 2017. In which case this debate will probably rage on for years.

Nav22

Reaction score
Because the question is about the future, not to date.Dak would receive plenty of credit from me. I really don't care what others' opinions of the situation would be. As for the other stuff, which part of "team sport" did you not understand?QB performance matters. We don't need to look at QB record to prove anything when we have much much better measures available to us.If you can't quantify them, how do you know they matter "a ton"? Jeff George isn't a HOFer because his performance wasn't good; what in the world makes you think that if he were less surly, he'd magically have been a vastly better QB on the field? If intangibles don't show up in performance on the field, why should I care about them?You sure don't seem to, based on all this intangibles and QB winning % stuff you keep throwing out there.But that was never the question. It's, "who will be better going forward?" I expect Dak to be, because I don't think Wentz will stay healthy and I think the injuries will end up lowering his ceiling. But there's definitely a possible future where Wentz gets healthy and plays like he did in 2017. In which case this debate will probably rage on for years.
No, the question was NOT about the future.

We don’t know the future. The OP didn’t ask for future QB projections.

Here’s what the OP asked, verbatim (typo and all):

“How would you Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL?”

We’ll see how their careers play out, but Dak’s been better through 3+ years and he’s clearly been better in 2019 through 2 games.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
No, the question was NOT about the future.

We don’t know the future. The OP didn’t ask for future QB projections.

Here’s what the OP asked, verbatim (typo and all):

“How would you Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL?”

We’ll see how their careers play out, but Dak’s been better through 3+ years and he’s clearly been better in 2019 through 2 games.
That question is inherently about the future. Roethlisberger isn't near the top despite his tremendous career because we're not talking about the past.

Nav22

Reaction score
That question is inherently about the future. Roethlisberger isn't near the top despite his tremendous career because we're not talking about the past.
Then explain the inclusion of old-timers like Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the top 4. Rivers is just as old as Big Ben and he’s #9.

LOL you single out Roethlisberger to make your point? Isn’t it FAR more likely that Big Ben wasn’t included near the top because he’s out for the season?

Yeah, you’re reaching. It’s a CURRENT ranking, not a future ranking.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Then explain the inclusion of old-timers like Tom Brady and Drew Brees in the top 4. Rivers is just as old as Big Ben and he’s #9.

LOL you single out Roethlisberger to make your point? Isn’t it FAR more likely that Big Ben wasn’t included near the top because he’s out for the season?

Yeah, you’re reaching. It’s a CURRENT ranking, not a future ranking.
That was my point about Ben. We're in agreement then that it's not a past ranking. It's presumably a "rest of this year" ranking, which is in fact the future.

quickccc

Reaction score
That’s cute. Beasley? LOL! Dez wasn’t even productive in 2016, but nice try.

Philly was so stacked in 2017 that Wentz’s backup won the Super Bowl.

Wentz was a mediocre 5-6 in 2018 and everyone blamed his supporting cast... UNTIL Nick Foles went 4-1 and won a playoff game with the same team.

But by all means, keep making excuses for the guy.

despite missing games with injuries, Dez still had 8 TDs and 2 TDs more in the playoffs vs GB ,.. Beasley led the Cowboys with 75 catches and 5 TDs in 2016
do I need to post Witten's 69 catch- numbers in 2016 as well ? and you don't think that's warranted of the receiving help he had that enable him to become a pro bowl rookie QB, ?

But now we're going from that rookie 2016 season.. to other seasons in question?

my point is whether dak or wentz, .. these QB have to have help.. and means both player personnel and coaching.

the Eagles have added Desean Jackson this year.. just as we added Amari Cooper this year.
and we're already experiencing what an upgrade in coaching can do for a QB like Dak.

Nav22

Reaction score
despite missing games with injuries, Dez still had 8 TDs and 2 TDs more in the playoffs vs GB ,.. Beasley led the Cowboys with 75 catches and 5 TDs in 2016
do I need to post Witten's 69 catch- numbers in 2016 as well ? and you don't think that's warranted of the receiving help he had that enable him to become a pro bowl rookie QB, ?
But now we're going from the rookie 2016 season.. to other seasons in question?
Compare their numbers and their records and quit making excuses.

Wentz has been upstaged by his backup QB in each of the last 2 years. He’s an overrated fraud until proven otherwise.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Wentz's china doll status has to be held against him. He literally hasn't even had a playoff APPEARANCE yet, while his backup went 4-1 with a Super Bowl win over the last 2 playoffs.

Goff is a sock puppet for McVay who struggles to make basic reads once the helmet radio cuts out at 00:15, but unlike Wentz he has been durable and actually made a Super Bowl run, even if he choked hard at the end.

blueblood70

Reaction score
How would you Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL: ?
this is how I see it per my list:

1 tom brady

2 pat mahomes

3 aaron Rodgers

4 drew brees

5 russell Wilson

6 jared goff

7 carson wentz

8 Dak Prescott

9 phillip rivers

10 matt ryan

11 deshaun Watson

12 matthew stafford

13 kirk cousin, minn

14 ben roethlisberger pitt

15 kyle murray ??

honorable mention: sam Donaldson, mitch tribisky, derek carr, jimmy Garoppolo, niners
6-10 seems fair..