Where does McCarthy and Cowboys go from here?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have no idea what happens. If you lose Quinn that’s a huge hole to fill.

If I’m Jerry I’m going to get Fangio immediately. Jimmy said yesterday he’s probably the best coach out there.

Moore can go. It’s time to break the final JG chain. I’m ready for a new offense that gets the ball to its top playmakers. Ready for a new RB too.

The point about Moore is why I'm thinking about Nagy actually. He's a horrible HC, I know. But he's a good OC type, and he's from the Reid tree. So, it could be good to have an Andy Reid-type coordinator to replace a Garrett-type.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In fairness to McCarthy, he doesn't coach linemen, the multiple pre-snap penalties has to be handled by the line coaches in practices, pre-season games, etc.

Though I never saw MM yelling at his coaches, not that he should do that all the time, but he's ultimately responsible for the team's success, or lack of it, if I"m him I don't give a rat's behind if they like me or not, if their players are screwing up I'm reading them the riot act.

I remember in one playoff game years ago Jimmy's team's defense was getting gashed and he went to I believe it was Wannstadt, got in his face and said (I want a blitz and I want it NOW!!!)

He got it and won the game from there.

This tapping of his play sheet on his cap ain't getting it done...

RS12

Reaction score

Back to his barn for a group hug with the other unemployed coaches?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Good teams have an identity going in. At this stage of the roster your OLine isn’t good enough to run the football which causes break downs in a passing game that struggles against all upper echelon competition .

Your 2 top RB’s were frankly too banged up to put the SF defense on pause which allowed them to tee off and worry simply on the pass. Sounds blasphemous to say this but if Pollard was too banged up to spell Zeke give 32 Clement a series with fresh legs get him out in the open screens pitch outs to the edge . Running 21 between the tackles useless . Use your roster MM make game time adjustments .

JustChip

Reaction score
In our owners own words this team had enough talent to make a run in the playoffs.

A Super Bowl or Bust mentality regardless how ridiculous and dysfunctional it is for our owner Pres and GM to say as much.

How much of the blame falls on McCarthy. Undisciplined with drive killing and game killing penalties. Time clock Mgmt was a problem all season.

We know he was hired to take this core of talent to the next level. It’s why we made a coaching change. It will be interesting to see if our owner has lost faith in our HC while the prospect of losing our coordinators to other franchises for a HC.

Could all of this influence a tough decision after this gut wrenching playoff loss ending a season with such high expectations?
But do they really have enough talent? Just because our GM so says doesn’t make it true. There are units that do have a talent advantage, but there are very significant shortcomings - both lines for sure.

I would also say that even the most ardent Dak supporter would have to at least question whether Dak has the overall talent to take this team to the SB.

But talent aside, I lay this team’s struggles against good teams at the feet of the coaches, most especially Kellen Moore. There really is no creativity and the play-calling us atrocious. Case in point was the penultimate drive. They get a long pass to Schultz and are set up at mid-field with 2 minutes and 3 time-outs. A lifetime in football terms. The whole playbook is open to you there. Yet, they have Zeke in instead of Pollard because, I believe, the calls are all going to be pass and Zeke is better in protection.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
all the way through the last couple seasons watching the sidelines and then watching again on hard knocks I kept asking myself the same question

What the hell does this guy do?

Reaction score
In our owners own words this team had enough talent to make a run in the playoffs.

A Super Bowl or Bust mentality regardless how ridiculous and dysfunctional it is for our owner Pres and GM to say as much.

How much of the blame falls on McCarthy. Undisciplined with drive killing and game killing penalties. Time clock Mgmt was a problem all season.

We know he was hired to take this core of talent to the next level. It’s why we made a coaching change. It will be interesting to see if our owner has lost faith in our HC while the prospect of losing our coordinators to other franchises for a HC.

Could all of this influence a tough decision after this gut wrenching playoff loss ending a season with such high expectations?
This team does not have the talent many think they do. They run up scores and stats against the dregs of the NFC East and the Falcons. Then when the face real opposition like the Chiefs, Cardinals and 49ers, they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Sure, change head coaches. But the problem is at the top. You know this. Changing head coaches won't matter given the culture coming from upstairs

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
nothing changes, next year is the same as this year only we go 10-7. still lose in the first round.

willia451

Reaction score
Hard to say. I don't see them getting much better than they are right now.

I think they've basically peaked with this version.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry you want your shot?

Even you would be a upgrade over MM.
Go ahead Jerry, take the reigns.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Jones was right, we had enough talent to make a playoff run. But they couldn't get out of their own way.

LittleD

Reaction score

Back to his barn for a group hug with the other unemployed coaches?

I hear there's a dude ranch in Utah they all could move to this spring. There to stay forever.

LittleLexodus

Reaction score
I'd like to see a trade for some better DL player(s). MM is an upgrade from Garrett so he will get one more year at least IMO

RonWashington

Reaction score
Sick of hearing about the refs too . Poor excuse . Stop all these pre snap penalties. In the TB Philly game Derek Barnett opening drive makes Brady rush his throw he hits Brady midsection not low not the knees and he’s called for roughing the passer would have forced a punt . Instead TB continued the drive scored a TD . The refs suck in all games .

The action the speed is beyond officiating the games with any degree of accuracy.