Where is your fan meter right now?

blueblood70

Reaction score
This thread cracks me up. People claiming to be disinterested and at a low level of fandom right now. Yet here you are posting on a Cowboys forum in late February which is one of the biggest downtimes on the football calendar. If you didn’t care or weren’t at a high level of fandom you wouldn’t be here right now. Stop your denial lol.
:hammer::popcorn:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm teeter-tottering at about a four and don't feel like there's much of a chance of returning to my former enthusiasm.

I'll have to admit, I'm still interested enough to watch the games to be entertained. I won't expect anything more. :rolleyes:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm teeter-tottering at about a four and don't feel like there's much of a chance of returning to my former enthusiasm.

I'll have to admit, I'm still interested enough to watch the games to be entertained. I won't expect anything more. :rolleyes:
Managing expectations is what it's all about.

And that's easier said than done with a football mind and a Cowboys heart.

Posters beating themselves up for believing is a waste of time. We're fans, we want to believe. Even the ones that say they don't, I don't believe them. Hope springs eternal within the heart of a fan. There is no logic in it and none is needed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Managing expectations is what it's all about.

And that's easier said than done with a football mind and a Cowboys heart.

Posters beating themselves up for believing is a waste of time. We're fans, we want to believe. Even the ones that say they don't, I don't believe them. Hope springs eternal within the heart of a fan. There is no logic in it and none is needed.

Truer words were never spoken. I started managing my expectations last year and this year was the icing on the cake. I've come to grips with what to expect from any team that's run from the likes of the Jones family. I've fully accepted the fact that Jerry and Stephen are nothing more, nor less than wannabe GMs who would like to win but don't really want to pay the price of what it takes to become a serious contender. They're pretenders, at best.

There's still a fraction of me that wants a real winner, but the biggest part says it likely won't happen in my lifetime. I'd like nothing better than to be surprised, but it's just not enough to return to the fan I once was. Troy Aikman was right about the upper level leadership being absent.

Something tells me there are many others besides myself that share in our level of fandom. I'm quite sure that you share that situation with me, from all appearances. I'm glad to say I'm relieved to join that club. Being entertained is about all there is to expect for me. :)

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 being can’t wait until Camp starts and watching reruns of the 2021 season.

1 being I would rather paint spindles.

Serious question. For me the SF loss still stings. The Rich D scandal is beyond ridiculous. Jerry’s weird head games with McCarthy. That no one took Moore of their hands. I am feeling real low right now. I always seem to get pumped for the draft and camp but as I sit here in February I am wondering if 2021/22 broke the camel’s back. I am a big hockey guy. Love the NY Rangers. No nonsense, young, talented and overachieving. The exact opposite of the Cowboys.

I peg my fandom at a 3 right now. Where are you at right now?

Define FAN METER ?
I have not yet read any other comments, so will post this, then go back to read some of them at some point.

There is a difference between being a fan and expectations.
As a fan, my meter is always at 10.

As to expectations, it dwindles every year (at this point in time, maybe once TC starts it goes up. LOL). With all the FA's and with Moore still here, and the teams lack of involvement in FA other than stupid 1 year prove it contracts for mediocre players.
I will say 6.
And will re-evaluate after the draft. I say 6 as slightly above average which is what his ream is, for now (too many FA's). Because it may look a lot different than it did last year. Depending players leaving from FA as well who stays or is brought in.

I think they will do well in the draft as usual, but not also as usual, not as well as they tell they did. If that is understandable. :laugh:

KeepinTime

Reaction score

Serious question. For me the SF loss still stings. The Rich D scandal is beyond ridiculous. Jerry’s weird head games with McCarthy. That no one took Moore of their hands. I am feeling real low right now. I always seem to get pumped for the draft and camp but as I sit here in February I am wondering if 2021/22 broke the camel’s back. I am a big hockey guy. Love the NY Rangers. No nonsense, young, talented and overachieving. The exact opposite of the Cowboys.

I’ve been a fan since 1977 so my patience is really wearing thin with Jerry, his useless offspring and the way they run the team. I’d say I’m at about a 6 right now. The thing is I’ve had hardcore allegiance to all my fave teams since I was just a kid so I’m kinda like the dude in Brokeback Mountain—“Cowboys, I can’t quit you.” Even tried getting into the Seahawks since I live just outside of Seattle but I just don’t feel the loyalty.

jnday

Reaction score

My fandom compares to watching grass grow at the moment, but that has been the norm for the last couple of decades. I have very low expectations and absolutely no hope that the Cowboys will show any signs of improvement. My fandom is more of a bad habit at this point rather than true fandom.

Trajan

Reaction score
I'm still excited for next seasons inevitable train wreck. It's an addiction.

Same ! 2021 was our shot, we missed, now it is downhill. The salary cap is looking bad, doubt we get any of the needed new blood to improve. Dak is what he is, KM and McCarthy.....oh boy. We aren't Garrett level bad where I basically went into hibernation as there was ZERO chance we would win anything under that clown, but I think we will be in the ballpark. Basically, until Jerruh leaves us and Stephan finds a brain, this team is hopeless. All smoke and mirrors. The implosion will be epic to watch !

CWR

Reaction score
Same ! 2021 was our shot, we missed, now it is downhill. The salary cap is looking bad, doubt we get any of the needed new blood to improve. Dak is what he is, KM and McCarthy.....oh boy. We aren't Garrett level bad where I basically went into hibernation as there was ZERO chance we would win anything under that clown, but I think we will be in the ballpark. Basically, until Jerruh leaves us and Stephan finds a brain, this team is hopeless. All smoke and mirrors. The implosion will be epic to watch !

It was our shot, until the ground game fell apart. I still have hope we can address the line and fix it. Dak will go as the line goes. My biggest remaining issue is my lack of faith in the offensive coaches, MM, KM, and Philbin. I have no expectations for next season. Sad, because we have some real talent.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
2... First time as a fan I feel like this team is going nowhere, even if they start 6-1 or something like that, I know something wrong is going to happen in the playoffs.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

are you going total up the responses? and get an average?

I say a 4
dont really care like I used to, but still fun to watch games and all the goings on. I dont care about them winning or going to SB.
TC is always boring to me, draft is interesting, and then the regular season games. Dont buy any hype anymore, no koolaid for me

glimmerman

Reaction score
What happens with JJ and the team is out of my control. I will he watching them again this year and cheering them on..

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
200.gif

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
From 1970 to 1998 it was a 10. Then Jerry proved HOW MUCH HE SUCKED AT WINNING. When he traded for Joey Galloway, traded for LOSER Roy Williams, Quinthay Carter, Crying Leaf. He proved he was a living BUFFOON back then and it has been a slow parade of tears since then. Every year going down another notch because there is little to no hope as long as a "Jones" owns the Cowboys.