Where now does Dak Prescott rank among QBs in the NFL? (Revisited)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I see Dak at about number 10 and perhaps 11. This year will be a big one for him to prove he's any better than that. Consistency will be the key. He'll have to prove he's capable of having good games vs. the teams over .500 this year. If he can do that, he should move up within that group. He needs to quit listening to an agent who keeps telling him he's "elite." He's not there yet. Let's also see if the new offensive staff can help him to get there.

Last edited:

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Is Dak Prescott now a top 5... ...top 10..... or among the top 15 QBs in the NFL ?
After his best statistical passing season last year in 2019, (in helping Cowboys rank as best offense in total yards).. where now would you rank Prescott among the top QBs in NFL ?

Here's my list below in how I see the Top QBs and where I'd place Prescott now:

1 Pat Mahomes KC

2 Aaron Rodgers GB

3 Lamar Jackson Balt

4 Russell Wilson Sea

5 Tom Brady NE

6 Drew Brees NO

7 Deshaun Watson Hou

8 Carlson Wentz Phil

9 Dak Prescott Dall

10 Kirk Cousins Minn

11 Matthew Stafford Det

12 Kyle Murray Ariz

13 Matt Ryan ATL

14 Jared Goff Rams

15 Jimmy Garoppolo SF

I like your list but I’d put Goff, Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G, and Murray over him. He’s like 14/15 for me. Maybe lower considering the pieces he has but still can’t make plays with.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Actually not really. Career passer rating is deceptive because, thus far, he has been gifted with four years in a strong team. Make no mistake, the Cowboys have had a stronger rated, supposedly championship ready, team for all four years. Dak also has had the benefit of Zeke being a top 3 RB for all four years. So behind a great OLine, with strong options at WR, a well above average run game.. it comes as absolutely no shock his career passer rating is high.

Quite frankly I don't give a flying toss what the stats say.. I want a QB that is reliable, can help our receivers.. that leads guys open and allows for good YAC.. who can pick up the slack if our run game gets shut down.. and a guy that can punish a defence for keying in on our running game. I want a guy that can score TDs even against good opposition in the FIRST HALF.. not some lazy scores when the game is done and dusted.

I have openly agreed that Dak will be our QB.. I know the deal with get done. I'm equally as sure that Dak is not good enough to win a SB. We will be competitive with him as QB.. no mistake about that.. but he simply does not have the talent to drive our success. He is a capable bus driver. His output will further decline as the league gets more and more tape on him. If we are forced to lose some of the talent around him to pay his salary.. then we loss more.

Either way.. if we sign Dak to a big deal we lose. If we sign Dak we lose.
Every time I read a post that starts out with the line, "Actually not really", I know what follows is a load of BS. Sure enough, you didn't disappoint. Despite the talent around him, he still has to do his job well to earn a high passer rating. It doesn't just happen because he is surrounded by talented teammates. Do you think you know better than Mike McCarthy, who has already stated that Dak is a Super Bowl caliber QB? You got some set of nuts on you to be arguing with Big Mike about that. It's that or you are just another blowhard that likes to hear himself talk.

RoboQB

Reaction score
What is this?

The Zone is supposed to be a family site, without name calling and personal shots.

How can an adult (i'm assuming you are) take time out of your day to post something like this on a football discussion site?

Dude, hop off that pedestal and lighten up.
"Turd ball" is an accurate description.

What's next? No more laughing at fart noises?

RoboQB

Reaction score
How about not using terms like circle jerk, slobberers, and turd in your posts?

For the first time in 16 years i clicked on the report button and was going to submit your post but changed my mind. The forum thanks to you and a select few others are, in my opinion, reducing the quality here to a level i personally haven't seen here previously.

We are trying to talk football here and juvenile name calling and bathroom humor is best left in junior high school.

Try, dig deep and really try, to act your age even if it is an anonymous internet message board.

The man is 66 years old.
The term "circle jerk" is used in every high school and college in the country.
Usually by a coach, who's well past being in junior high.
You must've led a very sheltered life. Perhaps in a convent, maybe.
Hey, nuns love football too.

landroverking

Reaction score
Is Dak Prescott now a top 5... ...top 10..... or among the top 15 QBs in the NFL ?
After his best statistical passing season last year in 2019, (in helping Cowboys rank as best offense in total yards).. where now would you rank Prescott among the top QBs in NFL ?

1 Pat Mahomes KC

2 Aaron Rodgers GB

3 Lamar Jackson Balt

4 Russell Wilson Sea

5 Tom Brady NE

6 Drew Brees NO

7 Deshaun Watson Hou

8 Carlson Wentz Phil

9 Dak Prescott Dall

10 Kirk Cousins Minn

11 Matthew Stafford Det

12 Kyle Murray Ariz

13 Matt Ryan ATL

14 Jared Goff Rams

15 Jimmy Garoppolo SF

Too high

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Dak #1, Mahomes can't even hold Dak's jock strap......:popcorn:

source.gif

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
With the numbers he put up this year, I’d say he’s at least tied for 10th. He’s right there in that Wentz, Goff and Cousins level and may be better than those guys. His ceiling may be lower though. I’d put Stafford ahead of all of them. And Kyler should be amazing next season.

Last edited:

blumayne38

Reaction score
With the numbers he put up this year, I’d say he’s at least tied for 10th. He’s right there in that Wentz, Goff and Cousins level and may be better than those guys. His ceiling may be lower though. I’d put Stafford ahead of all of them. And Kyler should be amazing next season.
:huh:

TwentyOne

Reaction score

1 Pat Mahomes KC

2 Aaron Rodgers GB

3 Lamar Jackson Balt

4 Russell Wilson Sea

5 Tom Brady NE

6 Drew Brees NO

7 Deshaun Watson Hou

8 Carlson Wentz Phil

9 Dak Prescott Dall

10 Kirk Cousins Minn

11 Matthew Stafford Det

12 Kyle Murray Ariz

13 Matt Ryan ATL

14 Jared Goff Rams

15 Jimmy Garoppolo SF

Still top third tier QB.

And how can you even put Jimmy G behind him when he took his team to the SB.

And didnt you watch Prescott play against Phily with all the weapons he had. In the game of the season! Not being able to score a single TD against a medicore Eagles defense ?

Come on man!

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Wentz carried a depleated Eagles team for 2 months into the playoffs.

What did Dak do ? Bills, Patriots, Bears, Jets, Eagles ....

Come on man! Dont get carried away by meaningless stats. Watch the games!

Hadenough

Reaction score
1 Pat Mahomes KC

2 Aaron Rodgers GB

3 Russell Wilson Sea

4 Tom Brady NE

5 Drew Brees No

6 Lamar Jackson Balt

7 Matt Ryan ATL

8 Deshaun Watson Hou

9 Carson Wentz Phil

10 Philip Rivers LAC

11 Kirk Cousins Minn

12 Matthew Stafford Det

13 Jared Goff Rams

14 Jimmy Garoppolo SF

15 Ryan Tannehill

16 Dak Prescott Dall

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The stats are what they are. It’s a team game. If we had a better Defense and a much better ST we wouldn’t have been 8-8.
Right. I think QB stats are good for contract talks and fan's chest thumping for the most part. If we had gone 12-4 but lost in the first playoff game, what would the narrative be? Fact is, the Cowboys gotta win against the winners and holding Dak solely accountable for losses is not valid as it's still a collective effort. Some teams win despite their QB's efforts. Some elevate their teams. Could he have done better in some games? Sure.
Is he gold? Not yet. Not top money.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Around 10th. That's where his passer rating ended up and its fair to debate this guy or that guy up or down but IMO, its a reasonable point.

The whole yards thing is ridiculous though. Dak had less total yards and less total TD's than Winston. Is anyone saying that Winston is a top 3 QB?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Right. I think QB stats are good for contract talks and fan's chest thumping for the most part. If we had gone 12-4 but lost in the first playoff game, what would the narrative be? Fact is, the Cowboys gotta win against the winners and holding Dak solely accountable for losses is not valid as it's still a collective effort. Some teams win despite their QB's efforts. Some elevate their teams. Could he have done better in some games? Sure.
Is he gold? Not yet. Not top money.
Not a mahomes or a wilson yet and may not ever be. But he is good and getting better. I think the contract he was playing for and the the fact that Moore was maybe calling a lot of passing plays coupled with a ST that kept us having to make 90 yard drives all the time let to the 5000 yards Dak threw for and had us as the #1 Offense in the league. But also was a factor in at least 2 losses this year. We had a record number of drops by WRs. Get a better ST and balance things out. And Dak has to play better.

shabazz

Reaction score
3 games this season of 10 points or less including the Eagles Division Title game.....................................Freaking Elite