Where was the urgency to win while Dak was cheap?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Urgency to win? With this front office? Look at who the owner keeps as his HC. Does that strike anyone as an urgent move to win now? He let that coach “learn on the job” with three straight 8-8 years, which happened to be 3 of Romo’s prime years.

The only urgency Jerry has is to make money and be recognized as a real football executive.

Plankton

Reaction score
Romo's contract

It's sad, but this is the first year that Prescott will be the highest paid quarterback on the Cowboys roster, and he's in his fourth year as a starter.

The highest paid guy hasn't been on the team the last two years.

JayFord

Reaction score
There is no urgency

If we win cool if not we make more money than anyone else so hey whatever

JayFord

Reaction score
Urgency to win? With this front office? Look at who the owner keeps as his HC. Does that strike anyone as an urgent move to win now? He let that coach “learn on the job” with three straight 8-8 years, which happened to be 3 of Romo’s prime years.

The only urgency Jerry has is to make money and be recognized as a real football executive.

You’re right

No disrespect to Garrett i think hes a fine individual but no one can tell me that they have an urgency to win and keep him as the head coach

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It's sad, but this is the first year that Prescott will be the highest paid quarterback on the Cowboys roster, and he's in his fourth year as a starter.

The highest paid guy hasn't been on the team the last two years.
What is sadder is we built the team around the highest paid player on the team and that QB was not on the team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Looking back on the last 3 years can you tell me where were the FA moves to address the safety position, DT position, add another big time weapon or two on offense to try and steal a Super Bowl while Dak was still cheap?

Why didn't we swing for the fences to try to steal one while our franchise QB is still on his rookie deal like the Eagles successfully did, like the Rams/Ravens/Browns are currently doing.

What was the point of this conservative approach if we can't even sign our own FA's today?

I've never seen another franchise more comfortable just being "in it" and unwilling to take the next step to being a legitimate contender.

Such a ******* wasted opportunity.

Those days are over. He isn't going to be cheap anymore.

Big_D

Reaction score

Every ridiculous decision after Parcells left tossed any sense of urgency in the garbage. That started with the coaching hires.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak's ascension was a fluke

It coincided with what was supposed to be Romo's coronation

We were planning to win with Romo.... it is just a hard thing to do

Dak getting 25m will not prevent us from winning... it the cost of doing business

The cap has gone up 30m since Dak was drafted
At some point the draft to performance potential is going to be more favorable than actual performance to contract and I believe we have a good example of that coming up with Dak. It's only a cost of doing business if a team decides to do so, but it's not set in stone teams have to follow a broken system and repeat everyone else's mistakes. Top tier guys is a different story as there is a cost to that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
At some point the draft to performance potential is going to be more favorable than actual performance to contract and I believe we have a good example of that coming up with Dak. It's only a cost of doing business if a team decides to do so, but it's not set in stone teams have to follow a broken system and repeat everyone else's mistakes. Top tier guys is a different story as there is a cost to that.
Just saying even if Dak is a bust at 25m it isn't a cap killer... it is 12% of the cap

The bottom 26 guys make up only 10% of the cap or 20m

That leaves 26 guys for 78% of the cap or 155m......plenty of space

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Cheap Zeke, cheap D-Law, sane Irving/Gregory, prime oline...all wasted.
not really, jerry made another 2 billion during that time period !!!!!!!!!
the stadium is always full, people show up to see the show, and thats all jerry cares about.
The jones boys think since they are billionaires they are genius's and a SB win is just around the corner.

to be honest I dont want them to win one with garrett, cause then he would be there for another 30 years.
And jerry doesnt deserve to win another SB in his lifetime......and neither does stevie.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Looking back on the last 3 years can you tell me where were the FA moves to address the safety position, DT position, add another big time weapon or two on offense to try and steal a Super Bowl while Dak was still cheap?

Why didn't we swing for the fences to try to steal one while our franchise QB is still on his rookie deal like the Eagles successfully did, like the Rams/Ravens/Browns are currently doing.

What was the point of this conservative approach if we can't even sign our own FA's today?

I've never seen another franchise more comfortable just being "in it" and unwilling to take the next step to being a legitimate contender.

They couldnt do anything because they were still under the gun with the salary cap. Thanks to Romo and Witten and DEZ.

mardwin

Reaction score
None. We will now have to deal with Daks contract being the reason we still cannot make any moves

He won't get extended before the next season. If they fail to do anything this year Garrett is gone and assuming Sean Payton is the next HC he would probably want to pick his own QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This team doesn't realize any of this stuff, even when it's starting them in the face!

Wait and see how they don't realize that other teams are learning not to overpay at quarterback and put your entire team in a bind, like the top 6 highest paid quarterback teams have, while they watche the playoffs from home.

No, Dallas is rushing to overpay Dak Prescott, so they can show the league "how smart they are", while actually showing everyone how dumb they are.

The Jones boys will rush to pay Prescott more than the deals that Carr, Cousins, and Stafford got. Deals that those teams already wish they could get out of. And the Cowboys will soon be joining those teams on the coach, watching the playoffs.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
They tried to swing for the fences when Romo was young but they swung at the wrong pitches and ended up with a lot of bad contracts when he was young and wasted some of his peak years by putting garbage, cap troubled teams on the field. I think they understand that and are gun shy about trying to load up like that again

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Where’s the urgency now?

waldoputty

Reaction score

2017 was the year to strike
i was pissed for the whole year

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Last preseason we were all told that scheme would overcome the lack of TE and WR talent. This franchise is delusional. Jerry thinks he plays chess while other play checkers.