Where would you rank Dak?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Top 10? better than Matt Ryan who had arguably a better year than his mvp season? Better than Rivers who just went 12-4 and lit up the chiefs? How many people are in your top 10? 15?

Top 10 doesn't mean better than Ryan or Rivers. I hope you aren't slotting either QB lower than 10th.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Top 10 doesn't mean better than Ryan or Rivers. I hope you aren't slotting either QB lower than 10th.

My point is calling him top 10 doesn’t mean anything without context. Ryan and Rivers are on the lower end of the top 10. Is it Mahomes or Wilson he’s putting Dak ahead of instead? Brees or Rodgers? Brady or Roethlisberger? Luck or Goff? Suddenly we’re at 10.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's my hope that the Cowboys' trust will draft a QB to be groomed no later than next year. This isn't the best year to take a QB, according to many "gurus" who have expressed that thought previously. I'm far from convinced that Mike White and/or Cooper Rush are suitable to man the backup post at QB.Dak has done well enough to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs but is this destined to be his optimal achievement?

We'll learn more about that these things year. I see Dak as a bit better than being in the middle of the pack. To me, this begs the question as to whether this will ultimately prove to be enough or not. In any event, if Mike White fails to prove himself capable material as a backup, a QB should be targeted no later than next year, imho. Teams destined to reach elite status should never hesitate to attend to totally solidifying the QB position.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t rank QBs linearly anyway. He’s in the group with Cousins and Garoppolo and Goff and Wentz. Good enough to win a championship. Not going to win you an MVP. He’s got the ability to sustain drives with his legs and come up big under pressure. He’s got intangibles. You can win with Dak. Even when you extend him, he still cost you just a 4th to nail down the QB position. That let us spend draft capital elsewhere. He represents the team the right way.

I don’t get what issues people have with him.

Sydla

Reaction score
You can’t rank QBs linearly anyway. He’s in the group with Cousins and Garoppolo and Goff and Wentz. Good enough to win a championship. Not going to win you an MVP. He’s got the ability to sustain drives with his legs and come up big under pressure. He’s got intangibles. You can win with Dak. Even when you extend him, he still cost you just a 4th to nail down the QB position. That let us spend draft capital elsewhere. He represents the team the right way.

I don’t get what issues people have with him.

For me, and I guess for many others, it's the concept of paying Dak, who by most measures is an average to slightly above average QB, what could amount to an elite level contract. We also don't buy the flawed argument that it's OK to pay him an elite contract now because in three years it won't be elite level anymore.

This would never happen, but I wouldn't have nearly the issues with Dak if he was signing a contract for $15MM a year as opposed to $30MM a year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, and I guess for many others, it's the concept of paying Dak, who by most measures is an average to slightly above average QB, what could amount to an elite level contract. We also don't buy the flawed argument that it's OK to pay him an elite contract now because in three years it won't be elite level anymore.

This would never happen, but I wouldn't have nearly the issues with Dak if he was signing a contract for $15MM a year as opposed to $30MM a year.

I think he’s a bit better than you’re seem to, but I get the point. I’ll wait to see what the deal looks like. I think they get him done a bit cheaper than people are expecting. It’ll be a top 5 deal for a QB, probably, and one that’s top-10 a year from now. I don’t think that’s crazy, given the cycle for contracts. He’ll be a tier below guys like Wentz and Mahomes and Wilson.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Top 10 or top 12. He is above average. Just going by stats. He need to improve and I think he will.

Hes somewhere between 15 and 22, depending on how he's playing.

He's had a lot of bad games. [See the Carolina game or the infamous fumble in the endzone vs Commanders.]

Then he'll have a good game.

He is far from elite. [anyone see a back shoulder throw?]

sean10mm

Reaction score

A lot of this arguing hinges on what you think "elite level contract" means now.

Now is 2019. Russell Wilson in 2019 got a $35m/year contract. That's the elite contract number now.

If Dak gets a contract for $28m per, he's not getting an elite contract in 2019, he's getting 20% off the elite 2019 contract number.

If you think that's too much that's OK, but it's not because that would be an elite contract in 2019, it's just because you think Dak sucks and want him to go away.

Sydla

Reaction score
A lot of this arguing hinges on what you think "elite level contract" means now.

Now is 2019. Russell Wilson in 2019 got a $35m/year contract. That's the elite contract number now.

If Dak gets a contract for $28m per, he's not getting an elite contract in 2019, he's getting 20% off the elite 2019 contract number.

If you think that's too much that's OK, but it's not because that would be an elite contract in 2019, it's just because you think Dak sucks and want him to go away.

$28MM would rank him 4th in AAV.

So yeah, that would be an elite contract IMO.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak is around #17 . He is not top 10 . Think about it this way , wouldn’t Stephen and Jerry take baker mayfield, Mahomes or Newton instead of Dak in a second ?

Here is my list :

Brady
Brees
Rodgers

Rivers
Rothlisberger
Baker mayfield
Newton
Wilson
mahomes
Stafford
grapolo
ryan
Luck
wentz
Watson
Tubisky
Dak
Geoff
Carr
Cousins
Mariota

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

It's based on the Tag amount IMO. It's not based on a QB who is on another level then Dak. That's a terrible business model for the team to follow IMO. I don't see them doing that. This whole, you don't want Dak to make money cause you think he sucks is tired. People have opinions on Dak, based on various reasons and you can't lump them all together. However, the driver here, for most fans are not based on how good he is vs what he should be paid. It's based on the pot available for player salaries and that's not flexible. Fans worry about who they will have to surround Dak with, it's not how much he gets paid, according to how good he is IMO. Dak doesn't win without players and that's the goal for the fans IMO.

JMO

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's my hope that the Cowboys' trust will draft a QB to be groomed no later than next year. This isn't the best year to take a QB, according to many "gurus" who have expressed that thought previously. I'm far from convinced that Mike White and/or Cooper Rush are suitable to man the backup post at QB.Dak has done well enough to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs but is this destined to be his optimal achievement?

We'll learn more about that these things year. I see Dak as a bit better than being in the middle of the pack. To me, this begs the question as to whether this will ultimately prove to be enough or not. In any event, if Mike White fails to prove himself capable material as a backup, a QB should be targeted no later than next year, imho. Teams destined to reach elite status should never hesitate to attend to totally solidifying the QB position.
Yeah, we don't have our next QB on the roster. We need a flame thrower who can move around. If Prescott goes down, the Cowboys would go out and get someone.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yeah, we don't have our next QB on the roster. We need a flame thrower who can move around. If Prescott goes down, the Cowboys would go out and get someone.

They'd have to, unless Mike White somehow made a "quantum leap." He might improve bigtime but I won't be holding my breath. ;)

Last edited:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Yeah because he did SOOO MUCH to help the Cowboys win games.. LOL Johnny WHIFF.....

If you didn't get the reference, players are judged based on their performance, not the team's performance. As such, citing team record in reference to Dak is bunk. Based on his performance, he is a mediocre NFL starting quarterback and should be handled as such.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They'd have to, unless Mike White somehow made a "quantum leap." He might improve bigtime but I won't be holding my breath. ;)
It really looked like Rush would be the backup of choice, but he just fell off the map. White has a better chance if he learns the pocket. Mostly, QBs either have those intangibles or they don't.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Problem is that Andy Dalton makes $16m a year on average. I dont think anyone here thinks Dak is less valuable than Dalton. From there the jump is into the low 20's, where guys like Alex Smith, Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Eli Manning reside. THen you have guys in the 25m-28m range like Garrapolo, Cousins and Derek Carr.

The financial truth of the NFL means that Dak is going to get somewhere close to 25-27m if he gets redone before this season. If he has a great year and we don't sign him this year, he will definitely hit that 30m range. An awful year probably means he gets tagged.