Where's your Optimeter needle pointing?

Rayman70

Reaction score
$75M Spent on three offensive players (Dak, Cooper, and Elliott). Over 40% of the cap on three guys. Throw in Tyron Smith, Martin, and Collins which accounts for roughly $30M more. $105M of the $182M cap on 6 offensive players, and it comes down to defense?

I’d say it is time these 6 offensive players to shoulder the load and deliver for once.
well, lets say this, this year is a prove it year for Zeke or the team will pull the rip chord on him. Too much talk and not enough results.

RS12

Reaction score
The last time I was optimistic, Parcels was coach. The occasional division playoff win doesn't move the needle for me. I need to see a playoff run. This is the Cowboys for god sakes.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
The last time I was optimistic, Parcels was coach. The occasional division playoff win doesn't move the needle for me. I need to see a playoff run. This is the Cowboys for godvsakes.
AMEN BROTHER^

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last time I was optimistic, Parcels was coach. The occasional division playoff win doesn't move the needle for me. I need to see a playoff run. This is the Cowboys for god sakes.
Which Cowboys? The team doesn't win a divisional playoff game in 25 seasons and it is "this is the Cowboys for God sakes".

Entitled? I would say so like most of us are, spoiled by 8 appearances, 5 wins 20 straight winning seasons and a 70's run and 90's run but this Cowboys franchise is not that Cowboys franchise.

We don't like thinking we're just like the CLE, DET or WFT fans but we are.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Which Cowboys? The team doesn't win a divisional playoff game in 25 seasons and it is "this is the Cowboys for God sakes".

Entitled? I would say so like most of us are, spoiled by 8 appearances, 5 wins 20 straight winning seasons and a 70's run and 90's run but this Cowboys franchise is not that Cowboys franchise.

Sadly, this is so true. :(

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have only expectations of an improved defense. Beyond that and because of that, anything can happen. A prolific offense is fun to watch, but a stifling defense is even more fun. I'm not saying they'll be stifling, but at times I think they will...and that's the great golf shot that keeps me coming back to my favorite course, despite having never broken 90.

75boyz

Reaction score
$75M Spent on three offensive players (Dak, Cooper, and Elliott). Over 40% of the cap on three guys. Throw in Tyron Smith, Martin, and Collins which accounts for roughly $30M more. $105M of the $182M cap on 6 offensive players, and it comes down to defense?

I’d say it is time these 6 offensive players to shoulder the load and deliver for once.

Super outstanding post.Totally agree and Triple like score.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

No we're not. We have better memories!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So then I guess the Chiefs shouldn't have had any hope before they won their SB two years ago, right?
It only took them about 50 years to return to Super Bowl. That might be a reasonable amount of time for hope to return to Dallas .

Hopefully Jethro won’t live past a 100.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That hype machine should always be avoided because it never changes. However, there were changes made this past offseason and those look like positive ones to me.

I never listen to anything the Joneses have to say but there are people I consider more attuned to the game than I am and some of those people are right here. If posters would take the time to absorb some of what others are observing and the knowledge some have of the players drafted and just knowledge of the X's and O's of the game and not be in such a defensive mood, they might get more out of this site.

I am not saying that because I am a mod, felt that way long before that and have said that, one of the reasons I come here is to learn. There are some real students of the game here and they're not bent to hyperbole or trying to rain on parades. They're not complainers either, they call it like they see it.

All comes down to what one is looking for, I like debate but I like discussion better and discussion with respect is sorely needed when the whole world is mad at something.

I've seen a lot of negative things written about our forum recently, mostly about the negative vibe. Fight it, don't feed it. And I don't mean arguing and personal insults, if you don't like negative, fight it with positive. Posters don't come here to feel worse and they're not trying to make you feel worse. We could all do with a little back off and respect around here. Those are human beings at the end of those keyboards, they're not avatar punching bags.

OK, sorry for that Direwolf, not intended for you at all. Just been on my mind a lot because I am seeing too much negative about our forum and it is our forum, Reality may own it but it is ours and we can make it as good or bad as we want.
Agreed. This forum has become too negative . Over ran by Trolls. I’ve tried to present more positive threads as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I see no reason whatsoever why 2021 should be considered a success by getting back to where we were with Garrett.

Changes were made after 2019 to make PROGRESS.

Have we lowered the bar for them just because they were that pathetic last year?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys fans are not the biggest A-holes in the league and it's not even close. Eagles fans are infinitely worse.
They are the worst . Steelers not far behind. Not sure what it is about PA. 49ers would be next.

Cowboy fans are much too casual. I mean for most of our history we didn’t even drink at the games. Now it’s more of a social gathering of whose who’s at the games.

Trajan

Reaction score
I’m ready for the rug to get pulled out from us per the norm. Jerry is doing well at selling his circus, many are buying as usual, however, Jerry is still in charge, so we have a ceiling in place for success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

We are in a sense. Our fan base is sharply divided by prior generations who grew up winning championships to this current generation who hadn’t witnessed the glory .

While I’d agree we have become a more Dormant franchise like the ones you mentioned , it’s going to take at least another generation of this lack of success to weed out all of us championship minded fans who hopped on our wagon for various reasons.

This younger generation of fans , at least I’m seeing in my circle of family and friends , aren’t as negative or apathetic as we are. They kinda remind me when I was younger in the 60’s enjoying watching Meredith and Hayes hoping we’d eventually play for a championship.

Which is really a pretty good place to be as a fan. Much more optimistic. Just rooting for your home town team. Which I think these Internet forums lose. We have become such a national fan base that was mostly attracted by our championship success.

I’ve come full circle. In lowering my expectations not knowing if we’ll ever reach the pinnacle again. Much like I was a fan as a kid just rooting our team on.

I’m almost hoping 50 years of no more success than this will cleanse our fan base. That would be worth losing. I’d give anything to just become the “Dallas “ Cowboys instead of America’s Team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I've done this every off season after the draft just to check and see where posters' heads are at with the upcoming season. I did not do it last season because I am not sure what last season was.

Which brings me to this season. I am really feeling good about this season, I think the Cowboys will win the East and possibly a playoff game that first weekend.

But it's not the record this season or the playoffs that have me extra tuned in, it is to see if I can get that feeling I had in 1990-91 when I could see something special coming together. That's when that defense began to emerge and I could see the speed and the train coming.

New DC, 8 D players drafted and more signed in FA and UDFA and some of the missing pieces returning like Diggs and we'll see about Vander Esch. Not to mention the OL coming back an of course, the QB and Jarwin and we'll get a good look at Lamb's soph season and I do think it will be impressive. Ya know, I got the feeling watching him at OU when Hollywood Brown was there that this guy was just meant to be a WR, he's a natural.

If I were a clever illustrator, I would put a graphic up with the needle and different categories but I am neither clever nor an illustrator so I will just list them.

Your choices are: Let's Talk Draft 2022, 2020 in Hindsight (no better), Barely Better than 2020, Wild Card, Division Champs, Noisemaker in the Playoffs, This is Our Year.

I am in that Division Champs section of the Optimeter.

Please state your reasons for where your needle is pointing and could we try and refrain from going after someone or name calling like Homer or Hater because of where their needle is? You feel how you feel and don't have to defend it.
Wildcard
If the skins get any kind of qb play. They will be hard to beat.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This team is judged by Super Bowl championships.
Well. At least it used to be.
I don't have any optimism at all for this team.
25 years of futility beat it out of me.
At what point do we lose that Super Bowl bar? 25 years hasn’t been long enough. Will it take 40, 50 years?