Which Cowboys past/ present QB would you draft 1 overall?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
3nbamq.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Staubach. Is this a serious question. Only reason he doesn't have 5 rings is Landry stuck with Morton vs the Colts, and he went up against the Steelers twice one the all time great teams.

Plus, the Steelers had assistance from the refs. That interference call on Bennie Barnes in SB 13 was bogus. Also, in SB 10 Jack Lambert slammed Cliff Harris to the ground well after the play was over. Should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and he should have been ejected.

Also, QBs I would pick (in this order)
Staubach
Aikman
Meridith
White
Romo
Morton

starfan1

Reaction score
anyone saying anything other than Aikman,Roger,Bledsoe,Dandy Don (who I didnt see) and posssibly Vinny is basing their analysis on them being a favorite of theirs and their Pro body of work. No other QB that I'm aware that wore the cowboy uniform came out of college worthy of the #1 overall pick which is what my interpretation of the thread is. Romo certainly wasn't although one certainly has to admire the work and effort he put in to become a great story in cowboy history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Staubach is at a disadvantage in this kind of poll because there are fans that only know him by reputation and film clips. I think anyone that watched him at the time week in and week out would vote for him.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I'd go Staubach he wasn't brittle like Romo and was far more mobile than Aikman. After Staubach I'd go Aikman and then Dak.
Brittle like Romo and then go an Aikman would be 2nd. :huh: I love Aikman but the joke for a while in his career Troy Acheman he only played 16 games 3 times in his 11 years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
There’s Staubach...then Aikman. Then a long drop.
ahhh...theres a drop off, but I don't think its by much. Danny White did lead this franchise to several NFC Title games. At least 3 times. The Eagles absolutely killed us in the 80 Title Game. But the others we came a hair away from winning, then maybe we would be rating Danny White higher.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Romo just was too much of a gambler...and turned the rock over too much. Danny White was the better classic drop back passer and leader. He learned from 2 of the best, Tom Landry and Roger.

Scotman

Reaction score
This is a good question. It shows how many stellar QB's we've had over the years.

In order for me:
  1. Staubach
  2. Aikman
  3. White
  4. Romo
  5. Meredith
  6. Prescott
There's a big drop-off for me from Staubach to Prescott. I just don't have any question about Staubach. Aikman was so beat up and was surrounded by so much talent. Staubach and Aikman would be no-brainers for me at the top spot. White is probably a go. Romo is probably my first...especially when I look at my other choices in 2003. Romo just never got over the hump. Both White and Romo suffered from terrible surrounding casts, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't win it all. A lot of you just don't remember Meredith. He was a legitimate QB. Prescott's story isn't finished. No doubt, he's been a great find for us at the bottom of the 4th. But his clock is already ticking. He didn't get it done on his first contract.

GMO415

Reaction score
Romo just was too much of a gambler...and turned the rock over too much. Danny White was the better classic drop back passer and leader. He learned from 2 of the best, Tom Landry and Roger.
It would be tough to pick between Bledsoe and White.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak isn't even in the conversation. He is still writing his story. LONG WAY TO GO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is a good question. It shows how many stellar QB's we've had over the years.

In order for me:
  1. Staubach
  2. Aikman
  3. White
  4. Romo
  5. Meredith
  6. Prescott
There's a big drop-off for me from Staubach to Prescott. I just don't have any question about Staubach. Aikman was so beat up and was surrounded by so much talent. Staubach and Aikman would be no-brainers for me at the top spot. White is probably a go. Romo is probably my first...especially when I look at my other choices in 2003. Romo just never got over the hump. Both White and Romo suffered from terrible surrounding casts, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't win it all. A lot of you just don't remember Meredith. He was a legitimate QB. Prescott's story isn't finished. No doubt, he's been a great find for us at the bottom of the 4th. But his clock is already ticking. He didn't get it done on his first contract.
flip Romo and Don and then I agree.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I think Staubach is still #1. Imagine him running the 2018-2019 Chiefs offense. OCs have gotten way smarter about using QBs who can both run and pass.

Aikman running the modern Patriots offense would be a living legend too. He was made for that kind of scheme that lets you leverage football IQ and ball placement to constantly keep the opposing D wrong-footed. He'd have a longer career under the current QB protection rules too.

That said I think Staubach was flat-out a better player. He was head and shoulders more efficient than his peers when he played AND he was mobile. Give him the advantages of modern schemes, QB-friendly rules and modern training and he makes Aaron Rodgers look like Kyle Orton.