Twitter: Which of these QBs Were You Pumped About

Flamma

Reaction score
I know several potheads who are severely addicted to pot. You may be asking the wrong guys.

Yeah, a mental addiction is very powerful as well. It doesn't have to be physical. What do people think gambling and or shopping addiction is?

Flamma

Reaction score
Elway said if the Colts drafted him he'd go play baseball.

Can you blame him? Anyone can end up like Josh Rosen if you're not careful. The Colts were not just a bad team, but barely resembled an NFL team. In 1981 went 2-14 giving up a record 533 points. Quarterback was getting killed. In 1982 they went 0-8-1. One of the worst teams in league history wanted to draft John Elway.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Sadly Henson, the unknown always intrigued me. We had both QBs that Brady backed up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It was a joke...... I actually thought your original post was clever but was either ignored or went over the heads of others. Hence the term flopped.

Oops! Thanks for clearing that up. It was nice to hear. I regret the boo-boo but mistakenly felt you were mocking me. :oops:

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the speculation on Qunicy Carter was there was agreement of taking him in the 2nd but paying him as a 3rd rd pick prior to the draft. At that time there was no rookie salary cap so we were seeing a lot of rookies making vet type money before they took a snap in the NFL.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I recall it being frustrating that we couldn't see Henson.

Now we know why Parcells didn't want to play him.
Same, i was intrigued by Henson. He was actually ahead of Tom Brady on the Michigan depth chart at one point if I remember correctly.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Dennis Green said the Vikings would have taken Quincy Carter with their 3rd round pick had the Cowboys not drafted him in the second round. At the time of the draft, The Vikings had a 3rd round grade on him. Probably other teams did too. Too bad Quincy Carter got derailed by the drugs. I think Quincy Carter would have done better in the NFL today with the rule changes and being more lenient with drugs rather than 20 years ago.

Yes, Jerry probably wanted him. You can criticize Jerry for that with your hindsight crystal ball. But, you can't criticize Jerry for taking him rounds earlier than where he would have been drafted. Jerry would not have got him if he waited for a later round.
But Quincy was a coke head, not a pot head.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Carter ended up having a winning record in Dallas. I think he could have had a decent career if he had been able to conquer the demons in his head. Dude had a cannon and was a magician at escaping the rush. Maybe the best I've ever seen. The other component of his downfall was that he was rushed into the starting lineup by Jerry. Carter was extremely raw coming out of college and needed at least two years of seasoning to be NFL ready.
I think his accuracy, or lack thereof, would have prevented him from having a good career. Never even hit 58% completions in his short stint here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think his accuracy, or lack thereof, would have prevented him from having a good career. Never even hit 58% completions in his short stint here.

When guys can throw the ball the way Quincy could, accuracy issues typically are the product of two things, footwork and confidence in where to go with the ball. Generally when Quincy knew where he was going with the ball he was able to put it there on the money. When he failed to set his feet or he was confused or unsure he would get caught trying to "guide" the ball to the target. As you know, that simply doesn't work and leads to balls in the dirt or in the stands. The fact of the matter is his completion percentage went up every year he was in the league. And lest we forget, the Cowboys passing game was not exactly a high percentage attack in those days. The year they benched Carter for Hutchinson (for cussin out Jerry on the sidelines) it was Carter who had the higher completion percentage 56.6 o 50.8. In his rookie season he had the same completion percentage as Leaf (51.1) and was higher than Wright (49.0) .. Stoerner had the highest percentage of all the guys who started that year but he also threw 5 picks in 2 starts! Yikes!

I will always believe Carter would have been better served to sit behind Tony Banks those first two seasons while he got his life and his footwork together. He was not near ready to start in the NFL much less be the QB of America's Team. He was the opposite of Dak as maturity goes.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hutchinson and Henson, both of whom I hoped would be the answer, helped cement for me that a big arm does not a quarterback make.

kskboys

Reaction score
Carter ended up having a winning record in Dallas. I think he could have had a decent career if he had been able to conquer the demons in his head. Dude had a cannon and was a magician at escaping the rush. Maybe the best I've ever seen. The other component of his downfall was that he was rushed into the starting lineup by Jerry. Carter was extremely raw coming out of college and needed at least two years of seasoning to be NFL ready.
You think it might be easier to win w/ the #1 D in the NFL? Record schmecord, 17TDs/22INT's and like 3,300 yds passing doesn't exactly point to the primary reason they won.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'd proudly have to say I was the most "pumped" by Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman. Both of those two QBs delivered in a big way when it counted the most. To me, that's the sure sign of a winner. Yes, there were others that came close but Roger and Troy certainly stood out convincingly. Put either of those two in the midst of a big game and they delivered the goods in glorious fashion so many times! :)
Brother Bullflop. do you remember the rookie camp when Troy was competing with Steve Walsh?
Am I wrong here, I apologize if I am, but Im thinking it was Walsh, he was a supplemental pick I believe,, its been a few decades ...lol
I remember everyone saying that Walsh was going to beat Aikman out in camp,, just shows that the media has been wearing two left shoes for decades.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Thought I’d break the monotony. I actually thought Chutch had the tools to be good. Wow was I wrong. Bledsoe at least got a 9-7 in there

Take a good look. Cuz that’s what we may be looking at for the next 15 years if Jerry bumbles the dak contract. He may already have done so.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Brother Bullflop. do you remember the rookie camp when Troy was competing with Steve Walsh?
Am I wrong here, I apologize if I am, but Im thinking it was Walsh, he was a supplemental pick I believe,, its been a few decades ...lol
I remember everyone saying that Walsh was going to beat Aikman out in camp,, just shows that the media has been wearing two left shoes for decades.

As I can best recall, I think Jimmy went with Steve Walsh early on in camp. He switched to Troy as his starter later on when he made it obvious that he was the better choice in the exhibition game with Houston. From then on, it was all Aikman. Troy was pretty worried there for a while but Jimmy assured him that the job was his after that exhibition game made their futures obvious. I, finally, had to look it up to get the story 100% right. though. ;)

Last edited: